Andres Iniesta

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
I don't but iniesta ran over 11 kms in around 83 mins

Yes, that's why I was asking. It's quite a lot for Iniesta imo. Maybe he just tires himself out really quickly and just burns out mentally during a game?

Place yourself as Iniesta for a second.
You are used to being the main attacking midfielder. All of the sudden you are used as a box to box midfielder, running a lot when you are 30. I'm quite sure his body just can't take it and he just loses his focus during the game, loses the ball a few times and than just loses it mentally.

Alik

Did you see him vs Ukraine? Key pass after key pass, great dribbles and touches. Can't blame him for looking ordinary as a defensive midfielder for Lucho's Barça.

Yes, that's why I was asking. It's quite a lot for Iniesta imo. Maybe he just tires himself out really quickly and just burns out mentally during a game?

Place yourself as Iniesta for a second.
You are used to being the main attacking midfielder. All of the sudden you are used as a box to box midfielder, running a lot when you are 30. I'm quite sure his body just can't take it and he just loses his focus during the game, loses the ball a few times and than just loses it mentally.

This is my belief as well. A combination of being played out of position, low confidence, and a decline.

Of course he has declined but he can offer a lot more than he is right now if only he was used right.

With regards to selling him, I doubt we'd get much for him anyway.

yes, it's both individual decline and a system that really doesn't get the best of Iniesta. He would be much better suited to a more traditional midfield approach, but the team may not. Omelettes and eggs and all. I don't think barça will ever look to sell iniesta, but its clear he would thrive more in a different system.

F

Flavia

Euro Qualifier, not a friendly.:w000t:

As I said, looked like a different player. Check it out.

He still plays well eventually. In the wc he was poor, though. It's not about the tactics, or Xavi would also be playing badly, and he isn't.

BerkeleyBernie

He still plays well eventually. In the wc he was poor, though. It's not about the tactics, or Xavi would also be playing badly, and he isn't.

Not a useful comparison. Xavi isn't tactically being asked to play differently (*recently; earlier on, when Lucho was experimenting, Xavi was played in some bizarre ways). Xavi still plays the metronome. Iniesta clearly has been asked to play a more withdrawn role and let the forwards have the ball.

Iniesta depends more on Xavi/Busquets than vice versa. Xavi/Busquets provided the protection, connectivity, and distribution. Iniesta, playing withdrawn and with fewer connectivity options, no longer has the opportunities to work his attacking magic as often as before. Maybe it will improve, as we saw yesterday, when Neymar attempted to be more of a connective player; if Neymar continues to do so, and refines his passing, Iniesta will become more involved in a more advanced position. If Neymar goes back to endless ball-holding, Iniesta can grab a cup of tea and take a nap until possession is turned over. I can't count the number of times this season I've watched Iniesta fruitlessly present himself for a pass from Neymar that never comes. Frustrates me, but must *really* frustrate Iniesta, seeing his chances to contribute to the game ignored.

Wouldn't say he was poor in the World Cup. The midfield was successfully bypassed by Netherlands (and, if I recall, Alonso was awful).

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Barca wouldn't sell Iniesta, no way.

I wonder if Iniesta would benefit if the system was turned into a 4-2-3-1, with Mascherano/Rakitic and Busquets/Roberto playing deeper midfield, and with Neymar--Iniesta/Rakitic--Messi in the 3, and of course Suarez as the spear head.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Barca wouldn't sell Iniesta, no way.

I wonder if Iniesta would benefit if the system was turned into a 4-2-3-1, with Mascherano and Busquets playing deeper midfield, and with Neymar--Iniesta--Messi in the 3, and of course Suarez as the spear head.

I could see Koeman use that system.

F

Flavia

Not a useful comparison. Xavi isn't tactically being asked to play differently (*recently; earlier on, when Lucho was experimenting, Xavi was played in some bizarre ways). Xavi still plays the metronome. Iniesta clearly has been asked to play a more withdrawn role and let the forwards have the ball.

Iniesta depends more on Xavi/Busquets than vice versa. Xavi/Busquets provided the protection, connectivity, and distribution. Iniesta, playing withdrawn and with fewer connectivity options, no longer has the opportunities to work his attacking magic as often as before. Maybe it will improve, as we saw yesterday, when Neymar attempted to be more of a connective player; if Neymar continues to do so, and refines his passing, Iniesta will become more involved in a more advanced position. If Neymar goes back to endless ball-holding, Iniesta can grab a cup of tea and take a nap until possession is turned over. I can't count the number of times this season I've watched Iniesta fruitlessly present himself for a pass from Neymar that never comes. Frustrates me, but must *really* frustrate Iniesta, seeing his chances to contribute to the game ignored.

Wouldn't say he was poor in the World Cup. The midfield was successfully bypassed by Netherlands (and, if I recall, Alonso was awful).

Iniesta has had great games playing the same role he played yesterday. You're overlooking that. Happened more than once this season. The midfield of Iniesta - Busi - Rakitic has had many great games. His current problem is inconsistency, that it's due to his declining.
Also, you have the clear agenda of wanting to blame Neymar, as if Iniesta was babysitting him or something. You really can't blame Neymar for Iniesta's poor form.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Past-Pep era hurts. It's really sad seeing all those declining players. And it's even more sad when you realize those declining players are still your best players. Worst management in history.

Time to jump ships, I guess. Is it comfortable in Munich?

You're going to start supporting bayern?

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Well they are many people that are not barca supporters but became casual fans from the way they played.
I'm one of them, my team is Olympiakos.

If suddenly barca starts playing like chelsea, I'd have no reason other than messi to watch barca anymore.
And I have to say I'm getting much more joy watching Pep's bayern than watching titos/tatas/luchos barca. Except when messi is giving a masterclass ofc.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Well they are many people that are not barca supporters but became casual fans from the way they played.
I'm one of them, my team is Olympiakos.

If suddenly barca starts playing like chelsea, I'd have no reason other than messi to watch barca anymore.
And I have to say I'm getting much more joy watching Pep's bayern than watching titos/tatas/luchos barca. Except when messi is giving a masterclass ofc.

That's fine if you're not pretending to be a die hard fan in the first place. Btw tito played the same style as pep pretty much.

Also.. Whenever I watched peps bayern I was very bored. They are nowhere near our football of a few years ago.

Richard.H

He has had such a huge dip in form this season. It's tragic watching it since he's not even that old.

He has a harder time getting past players nowadays. It was (arguably) his best asset but he seems to not even do that so well now. Not sure what he brings to the team. Someone like S.Roberto suits Lucho's mid more than Iniesta. It's obvious that Lucho midfield is just a work-horse squadron in the game, designed to provide as much support to both defense and attack. It's not a holy sacred part of the pitch like during Pep's era.

Home of Barca Fans