Ángel Di María

Nani from 09-11 was exactly what ADM is now, look at his assist record in the league, he is second to Beckham by 1 assist, and is top 20 in the all time PL for assists and most of the players above him have played so many more games. His assist to game ratio is excellent. Though both of them are liability when of form as they give the ball away so much.

I'm not going to point out any more negative things about Nani. In his prime he was a good option to have in the squad. I have nothing against him, but I just don't rate him as well as most people here.

I'll just leave you with this: you're comparing a healthy Nani playing in the form of his life in a system he was well acclimated to, to a Di Maria going through the worst period of his career since his first year at Real Madrid, yet Di Maria has a good chance of equaling or even beating Nani's best year in terms of assists. That alone says all that you need to know about the two players.

All it proves is assist is a meaningless, misleading stat that is usually taken out of context.

SmoothDizzyCob.gif

OpulentZealousDogfish.gif

SZgzexM.gif

344a093fb1d88bc0c0f013d7cf39428b.800x450x100.gif

4 of his "world class" assists.

I remember he also picked up like 2/3 assists earlier on in the season from mishit shots as well. Stupid stat.

Last edited:

*assists is a meaningless stat if it doesn't support my case

Fixed it for you, bro :lucho:

These (x stat) is meaningless arguments are ridiculous. You're telling me that the very thing that earns you points/wins you games is meaningless? FFS, hate on ADM all you want, but this is insane :lol:

Last edited:

MaxY

Devil May Cry

These (x stat) is meaningless arguments are ridiculous. You're telling me that the very thing that earns you points/wins you games is meaningless? FFS, hate on ADM all you want, but this is insane :lol:

Indeed, I woke up to this kind of shit lol.

No it's a stupid stat that belongs in basketball. So you're telling me those hit & hope crosses & 1 yard sideways passes are more valuable than the sitters Messi's constantly supplies Alba and Neymar in every game?

I just showed you evidence why that assist stat means nothing and that's your response? :rolleyes:

Either you're one of those stat whores that doesn't watch games or you're a closet fanboy. If any stat is going to be used to judge creativity it should be the Through ball and chances created from open play stats. But, even those generally never tell the true story.

zanela

No it's a stupid stat that belongs in basketball. So you're telling me those hit & hope crosses & 1 yard sideways passes are more valuable than the sitters Messi's constantly supplies Alba and Neymar in every game?

I just showed you evidence why that assist stat means nothing and that's your response? :rolleyes:

Either you're one of those stat whores that doesn't watch games or you're a closet fanboy. If any stat is going to be used to judge creativity it should be the Through ball and chances created from open play stats. But, even those generally never tell the true story.

Assist don't always tell the whole story, true. But I wouldn't say its a meaningless stat. Obviously, not all assists are through balls, some are simple side-way passes. But they all lead to a goal nonetheless. Messi has also had his share of simple assists, or you thought he should 've taken a shot than pass to Iniesta SB '09. :rolleyes:
As for your gifs, no one claimed 'em to be "world class" assists. Although I would say the cross to fellaini set-him up perfectly for the ensuing shot.
The hit & hope crosses that you speak of, I would agree if it was a different player, but crossin' is Ángel's forte. Yes, he can be wasteful at times. But the pace and spin he generates in his crosses are hard to defend, its not his fault the movement of ManU players in the opp box is slow and lethargic. In other words, even a good cross can go begging if players don't put an effort to get to it. And I've seen it happen so many times this season, whilst at madrid, he had better receivers in the box. I mean ask yourself, why does Valencia, and Young's crosses don't lead to goals as often? or have as many assists? I mean after all they 've to just make hit and hope crosses and make side-way passes. May be their decision making and their delivery isn't as good?

I remember he also picked up like 2/3 assists earlier on in the season from mishit shots as well. Stupid stat.

Do you also remember the chances he created during the same period, but were spurned by his teammates? I do. Some of them were through balls, some coming from his deep runs whilst skipping past players and laying it off to the forward who failed to convert.
If you don't rate the player (which is evident going by your posts), thats your prerogative, but if you're gonna dismiss assists entirely in order to make it look like Ángel is not a creative player (when stats and his gen play suggests otherwise), then you're coming across bitter, and letting your personal bias cloud your judgement.

Martindn

Cant believe how shit he is, all he does is lump it into the box or run and lose the ball, fair enough he hasnt played a lot and is better in the center i guess but come on. £60 million weve been played a blinder here :lol:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans