Anthony Martial

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Frankly United are not doing anything terrible when it comes to their squad. I mean look at it. Their only not-worth-it scrubs (who still managed to win the league under Fergie mind you) who are left are Carrick and Rooney, all else is gone, and even these two can be integrated into the team, but nowhere near with the capacity they were in till now. Their transfers weren't bad, just grossly expensive. Won't even know if they're overpriced until they play for the next 2 years.

So let's all take the chill pill, even if 50M+ for an unknown rookie from Monaco sounds completely and totally ridiculous.

Van Gaal is not a long haul coach anyway. He's only there to bring in some vague order that Moyes had no place to do, and have them move on. They're moving on, with a lot of money going out.

I agree with this. Although, it was very deluded of them to think they could lure Bale or Müller to Manchester. Instead of spending nearly the whole summer chasing dreams, they could've probably gotten Martial for a lower fee if they moved on a lot sooner, giving Monaco enough time to find an adequate replacement.

The board and coaching staff of Monaco have clashed, according to reports in France. I guess Campos' word didn't mean much after all.

S7_MUFC

Shaw is mediocre. Had better showings at Southampton and has shown little potential to grow into a top left back since.

20% goes to Lyon who will actually put that money back into the club. Release clauses are illegal in France.

Hope the Russians leave the club soon.

This just shows how you have no idea what you're talking about and your views are formed by comments that were thrown about last season and not by watching the player. Shaw is without a doubt worth the fee based on how he's performed this season and I'd pay 30 million again even with the benefit of hindsight..

Yannik

Does anyone remember that 20 years ago, the idea behind signing young players was that they were cheap because they werent great players YET but about to become that after the buying club puts years of work into him? It was considered a great method for clubs, to spare money to the expense of not having a great player from the start straightaway, but that player might become that in 3-4 years.

Nowadays it seems as if there is no justification behind signing young players anymore, because practically they cost as much as ready-made players. The whole point of why young-players are smart investions goes completely missing.
Why would I sign a young player, who MIGHT become great in 4 years for 60m, if I could technically buy an already experienced and amazing striker aged 24-27 on his peak for that money?

IamGundogan

Relative to the top young LB's in football; Alaba, Rodriguez, Kurzawa, Guerreiro, he is mediocre.

I'm not a Barca fan.

Shaw (20), Alaba (23), Rodriguez (23), Kurzawa (22), Guerreiro (21, 22 in December). Shaw just turned 20, he's 2/3 behind development to those LB's and the only two I would say who are better then him are Alaba and Rodriguez.

Shaw will be up there with LB's like Alaba in the next 1/2 years. He's been fantastic this season.

oggydude

PSG spent £44.3m/(45m euros) from wiki on Moura when he was 21 and never played in europe, so I don't know why PSG fans are complaining of United spending £36m on Martial, yes it maybe more in euros but United is an english club who deal in pounds. The fee reported is £36m not the ridiculous sums on here.

A crazy deal but United have cleared a lot of money from their wages bill, and their net spend this summer has been low. Why do people have a problem with us spending our own money that we have earned, have a problem stop watching MU, stop buying their merchandise, stop reading about MU, and don't support their sponsors.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Shaw (20), Alaba (23), Rodriguez (23), Kurzawa (22), Guerreiro (21, 22 in December). Shaw just turned 20, he's 2/3 behind development to those LB's and the only two I would say who are better then him are Alaba and Rodriguez.

Shaw will be up there with LB's like Alaba in the next 1/2 years. He's been fantastic this season.

Alaba was pretty fucking great at the end of age 20/21 too. Also Alaba is 10 times the player Shaw is when it comes to understanding and employing the tactics demanded by his coach, not to mention his positional flexibility. He didn't gain that just now at age 23...

Not saying that Shaw won't be a good player or anything, but to compare him with Alaba is a bit too much on any given level.

IamGundogan

Does anyone remember that 20 years ago, the idea behind signing young players was that they were cheap because they werent great players YET but about to become that after the buying club puts years of work into him? It was considered a great method for clubs, to spare money to the expense of not having a great player from the start straightaway, but that player might become that in 3-4 years.

Nowadays it seems as if there is no justification behind signing young players anymore, because practically they cost as much as ready-made players. The whole point of why young-players are smart investions goes completely missing.
Why would I sign a young player, who MIGHT become great in 4 years for 60m, if I could technically buy an already experienced and amazing striker aged 24-27 on his peak for that money?

There's just too much money in football at the moment. With inflation, you have to remember that signing a player for 10M in 2000, would probably be the equivalent of 30/40M today. Just have to go with the times.

Yannik

At age 20, Alaba was already considered the best LB in europe.
At least this assumption started at that point, although many people said "he cant be the best LB in general, just because he was amazing for one season, he has to prove himself continuesly". Which is an absolute valid point to bring up by the way, but well Alaba did exactly that, so its fair to say, that Alaba was already the best LB at age 20 and Shaw is really miles away from that, with all respect.

oggydude

Look on his wiki, definitely 40-45m euros not including agent fees.

There's just too much money in football at the moment. With inflation, you have to remember that signing a player for 10M in 2000, would probably be the equivalent of 30/40M today. Just have to go with the times.
Exactly Hazard right now would cost around £80m, he was brought for £32m + £5m agents fees and seems like a bargain.

We overpaid for Shaw because he was english and we had no CL.

Howes

The deal is for £36mil pounds which comes out at about €45mil euros. With the pound been a lot stronger then the euro at the moment

Home of Barca Fans