Arda Turan

JamDav1982

You're clutching at straws. I've never said that Parejo should be signed by us. All I've said is that he's a good la liga player, he is Valencia's leader, their midfield general, their captain, their top scorer. Never have I said we should buy him.

But I'm glad we agree that Arda can only be a useful squad player for us, that he isnt world class, and people shouldnt expect him to be even though he arrived with an excessive price tag. I'm not too worried though. Roberto will seal the spot soon enough as he's simply a better player than Arda.

Price tag is not really excessive and more than Barca were prepared to pay it. Who are the only two others at this age you say were more expensive than him at his age? What age are you saying that is?

Dont care if Parejo is Valencias top scorer from pens he is nowhere near good enough on the ball and will never find his way to a top club. Nor is he a leader - hence the fans attitude towards him and the arm band being taken away.

Not world class but far better than likes of Parejo/Herrera etc who you compared him to.

Jombi

As much as I adore Sergi Roberto, he's still hardly fit to polish Arda's boots

This quote from a poster a few pages ago sums up the hype train of Arda a few weeks ago before he made his debut. It was completely absurd, and as another poster pointed out, it was like we had signed Ronaldinho or something.

F

Frejsgodes

In a vacuum Arda is better than Roberto. Roberto, however, has the advantage of knowing the system and having played a lot of games this year. He is bound to look better than Arda. Only impatient fools will judge Arda (or Vidal) by these like last few games, and it's probably the same people who moaned about Suárez not being at or close to Liverpool-level in the beginning of his first season here. And Suarez didn't have to sit out as long for Barca compared to Arda and Vidal.. but I digress.
Arda is the more skillful/better player compared to Roberto based on their careers so far and peak performances. When Arda gets more acclimated and gets into rhythm he'll show just that. People will just have to wait till the end of this season or maybe till next season.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
This quote from a poster a few pages ago sums up the hype train of Arda a few weeks ago before he made his debut. It was completely absurd, and as another poster pointed out, it was like we had signed Ronaldinho or something.

Roberto still hasn't shown that he's half the player Turan was with Atletico.

Jombi

In a vacuum Arda is better than Roberto. Roberto, however, has the advantage of knowing the system and having played a lot of games this year. He is bound to look better than Arda. Only impatient fools will judge Arda (or Vidal) by these like last few games, and it's probably the same people who moaned about Suárez not being at or close to Liverpool-level in the beginning of his first season here. And Suarez didn't have to sit out as long for Barca compared to Arda and Vidal.. but I digress.
Arda is the more skillful/better player compared to Roberto based on their careers so far and peak performances. When Arda gets more acclimated and gets into rhythm he'll show just that. People will just have to wait till the end of this season or maybe till next season.

Roberto is playing on every single position on the field and with no regular match rhythm. Anyone who plays football know that its extremely difficult and impressive. Only a class player would be able to do that. We are living in 2016, what happened years ago is not important and Roberto will be a regular starter. It's worth mentioning that midfielders like Wesley Sneijder, Michael Essien, Kaka and others started to decline rapidly around 29/30, so we cant simply count on players going on for years at that age.

Jombi

Roberto still hasn't shown that he's half the player Turan was with Atletico.

Really? I find that to be hyperbole. IMO, Atletico are better with Saul Niguez than with Arda. He wasnt world class in Atletico, but more of a unit in the system.

Roberto is clearly the better player of the two IMO and to suggest that Turan is heads and shoulders above Roberto and not even fit to clean his boots is absurdity.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Really? I find that to be hyperbole. IMO, Atletico are better with Saul Niguez than with Arda. He wasnt world class in Atletico, but more of a unit in the system.

Roberto is clearly the better player of the two IMO and to suggest that Turan is heads and shoulders above Roberto and not even fit to clean his boots is absurdity.
That's just it, isn't it? All of this is in your opinion, and in my opinion, you're wrong.

Jombi

Convenient of you to leave out that Kaka and Essien fell off after career ruining injuries.

It doesnt really matter. I could have mentioned Raul, Torres, Falcao, Casillas, Rooney etc etc. The point is that players age rapidly at that age and we cant simply assume that they'll go on for years. And any injury can cause far more problems at that age as well.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It doesnt really matter. I could have mentioned Raul, Torres, Falcao, Casillas, Rooney etc etc. The point is that players age rapidly at that age and we cant simply assume that they'll go on for years. And any injury can cause far more problems at that age as well.

And for those you mentioned, I could mention several more that have maintained their level into their thirties. Must you be such a pessimist?

serghei

Absurd. Roberto is the better player based on what? Arda Turan was one of Atletico's star performers in the team that won La Liga and was a corner off from being Champions of Europe. Also one of the best players in the team that won Copa del Rey in 2013. Solid midfielder in La Liga and in Europe as well, in the last 3 years. Roberto is a very good squad player who has grown a lot in the last 6 months, but that's about it. 6 months ago Roberto was just another player in our squad (similar to Bartra, or even worse in status), and now he's magically better than one of the most solidand consistent midfielders in Spain in the recent years? He's got a lot to prove to claim that.

Jombi

That's just it, isn't it? All of this is in your opinion, and in my opinion, you're wrong.

As long as we use proper arguments instead of petulant attacks and shaming I dont have a problem with differing opinons. Isnt that the whole point of a discussion forum?

You believe Arda is heads and shoulders above Roberto in our team? Roberto plays great whenever called upon at whatever position, that's the sign of greatness. Look at the posts a few pages back about Arda. It was like we had signed Ronaldinho like another poster said.

Jombi

Absurd. Roberto is the better player based on what? Arda Turan was one of Atletico's star performers in the team that won La Liga and was a corner off from being Champions of Europe. Also one of the best players in the team that won Copa del Rey in 2013. Solid midfielder in La Liga and in Europe as well, in the last 3 years. Roberto is a very good squad player who has grown a lot in the last 6 months, but that's about it. 6 months ago Roberto was just another player in our squad (similar to Bartra, or even worse in status), and now he's better than one of the most solid midfielders in Spain? He's got a lot to prove to claim that.

We're in 2016 now. Roberto is likely to get called up by Del Bosque now. For a very good reason.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
As long as we use proper arguments instead of petulant attacks and shaming I dont have a problem with differing opinons. Isnt that the whole point of a discussion forum?

You believe Arda is heads and shoulders above Roberto in our team? Roberto plays great whenever called upon at whatever position, that's the sign of greatness. Look at the posts a few pages back about Arda. It was like we had signed Ronaldinho like another poster said.

No he's not head and shoulders above. I just think he's a better player, for now, than Roberto is. And this is just looking at the positions Arda would play. In the long run, Roberto very well could be a better player than Arda. But I feel like you are underestimating Arda a bit.

Home of Barca Fans