Arda Turan

serghei

We're in 2016 now.

I see. We're in 2016. And your sample is what, 3 months, with Arda being unable to play in that time and just starting to get in match rythm? In that case, I agree that Roberto has been much better than Arda Turan this season, and a class above while Arda was suspended.

Jombi

And for those you mentioned, I could mention several more that have maintained their level into their thirties. Must you be such a pessimist?

Im not saying that he definitely will go the way of Sneijder btw. All I'm saying is that we have to take into account Arda's age instead of automatically assuming that he'll command a regular starting spot in the future for us.

JamDav1982

There is room in the squad for both Roberto and Turan and both are good enough fr Barcelona.

None of that makes Turan 'too expensive' or not needed or better/worse than Roberto.

It is irrelevant who is better really.

JamDav1982

Im not saying that he definitely will go the way of Sneijder btw. All I'm saying is that we have to take into account Arda's age instead of automatically assuming that he'll command a regular starting spot in the future for us.

Who is assuming Arda will command a regular starting spot?

Jombi

I see. We're in 2016. And your sample is what, 3 months, with Arda being unable to play in that time and just starting to get in match rythm? In that case, I agree that Roberto has been much better than Arda Turan this season, and a class above while Arda was suspended.

Whatever Arda did in 2013 is irrelevant. And I still think he was more of a cog in the system there than anything else. The sample would simply be what Arda showed in the games in the second half of last season and into this season (I watched his game for Turkey) plus his games now. He is that same player. There really isnt any major changes to his game over these 9-10 months or so.

I expect Sergi Roberto to be part of Spain's Euro squad as well. He'll get called up next time by Del Bosque.

serghei

Whatever Arda did in 2013 is irrelevant. And I still think he was more of a cog in the system there than anything else. The sample would simply be what Arda showed in the games in the second half of last season and into this season (I watched his game for Turkey) plus his games now. He is that same player. There really isnt any major changes to his game over these 9-10 months or so.

He is the same player, true. And Sergi Roberto's games from last season? I've seen Arda Turan last season and the season before, he won the game for Atletico on Santiago Bernabeu, scoring a nice goal for 2-1. Sergi Roberto barely played, as a starter or otherwise for that matter. Your arguments are based on a time span of several months, during which Arda was unable to play.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I expect Sergi Roberto to be part of Spain's Euro squad as well. He'll get called up next time by Del Bosque.

Your opinion doesnt seem to be shared by Atletico fans or Simeone who saw Arda as a vital part of their team and one of best attacking midfielders in europe.

Jombi

He is the same player, true. And Sergi Roberto's games from last season? I've seen Arda Turan last season and the season before, he won the game for Atletico on Santiago Bernabeu. Sergi Roberto barely played, as a starter or otherwise for that matter. Your arguments are based on a time span of several months.

Yes, I'd say 8-10 months. More than enough to rate a player's quality. And Roberto's performances over the last 7-8 months are exactly why I fully believe Del Bosque will call up Roberto and he'll make a well deserved debut for Spain. I think he'll cement a starting role for us very, very soon.

JamDav1982

Yes, I'd say 8-10 months. More than enough to rate a player's quality. And Roberto's performances over the last 7-8 months are exactly why I fully believe Del Bosque will call up Roberto and he'll make a well deserved debut for Spain. I think he'll cement a starting role for us very, very soon.

Which is all irrelevant to signing Arda or how good he is.

Roberto most likely will get called up for Spain and could get a starting spot in Barca at some point.

serghei

5 months sharp. And it's not about rating a player's quality, it's about rating him above a player that has been one of La Liga's best midfielders in the past 3 seasons, CL finalist, La Liga winner, Copa winner, and overall key player in one of the best 5 teams in Europe.

Jombi

Your opinion doesnt seem to be shared by Atletico fans or Simeone who saw Arda as a vital part of their team and one of best attacking midfielders in europe.

So what? I dont think he was world class and many would agree. If they dont agree, that's fine as well. And its not like Simeone was going to belittle his own player in public or anything.

JamDav1982

So what? I dont think he was world class and many would agree. If they dont agree, that's fine as well. And its not like Simeone was going to belittle his own player in public or anything.

Who is claiming he is world class? What do you mean by that anyway?

Simeone clearly rated Arda hugely, just clutching at straws to make out he only praised him as he had to. Really lame argument.

Jombi

Who is claiming he is world class? What do you mean by that anyway?

Simeone clearly rated Arda hugely, just clutching at straws to make out he only praised him as he had to. Really lame argument.

If you're one of the best midfielders in Europe, you're world class. I dont think he ever was. He was pretty good, but Roberto is clearly better. I do rank Arda above Rafinha though, so he would be our 4th best midfielder IMO (Busi of course best defensive mid).

Last edited:

JamDav1982

If you're one of the best midfielders in Europe, you're world class. I dont think he ever was. He was pretty good, but Roberto is clearly better. I do rank Arda above Rafinha though, so he would be our 4th best midfielder IMO (Busi of course best defensive mid).

How much do you think he was worth this summer? His market value.

Why do you think Lucho wanted him?

Home of Barca Fans