Arda Turan

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
I'm getting more and more confident that Barto did a FloPer with this signing. Signed for marketing purposes and selling shirts in Turkey. We probably got some extra money from our Turkish sponsors Beko and Lassa too. I've seen them using him a lot in their advertisements.
All parts probably earning some good money considering how popular he is in a big country like Turkey.

JamDav1982

I'm getting more and more confident that Barto did a FloPer with this signing. Signed for marketing purposes and selling shirts in Turkey. We probably got some extra money from our Turkish sponsors Beko and Lassa too. I've seen them using him a lot in their advertisements.
All parts probably earning some good money considering how popular he is in a big country like Turkey.

Based on what?

Arda was signed as Lucho asked for him. Of course they will use him for marketing after that or it will influence how much the club willing to pay but the basis of signing him was on Luchos request.

Amazing the things people just make up to suit their opinions.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Based on what?

Arda was signed as Lucho asked for him.

Based on his age, his level and the sum we paid for him. Lucho asked for many players, that's just how it works. I would think the board would be smarter than to just sign him for that reason alone. That would be some really bad business, especially if he keeps playing like this. The club can't just throw away €40M on a 30 year old midfielder without some other financial motives, would be very naive to even believe such nonsense.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Based on his age, his level and the sum we paid for him. Lucho asked for many players, that's just how it works. I would think the board would be smarter than to just sign him for that reason alone. That would be some really bad business, especially if he keeps playing like this. The club can't just throw away €40M on a 30 year old midfielder without some other financial motives, would be very naive to even believe such nonsense.

I dont think he has even been that bad, he has been steady enough.

They have not paid 40m unless Barca win a certain amount of trophies.

Any financial motives involved in paying that fee will be secondary to Lucho wanting him, which I doubt there is that much to made from him in terms of shirt sales or sponsorship anyway.

Making out the motive to sign him was financial isnt correct.

Altomonte

Arda is playing quite well but I feel he is getting undeserved yellow cards. The referees are trying to discourage his physicality and aggressiveness. El Turquo is a good player but he is not a dancing Ballerina. He is most effective when he is allowed to be physical.
It would be interesting to check out what led to his yellow cards so far: closer analysis would probably show that he is singled out (profiled) by referees because of his ethnicity (and reputation acquired during his AM days).

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
I dont think he has even been that bad, he has been steady enough.

For the price being paid, he has been quite underwhelming so far to say the least. Maybe not directly bad, I agree.

They have not paid 40m unless Barca win a certain amount of trophies.

Trophies that we will win, likely already this season. So-called guaranteed clauses agreed on to make it look like we're paying less than we are.

Any financial motives involved in paying that fee will be secondary to Lucho wanting him, which I doubt there is that much to made from him in terms of shirt sales or sponsorship anyway.

Fair enough, it's probably secondary, but don't underestimate the money to be made in a country with almost 80M citizens where he is arguably the most popular person.

Making out the motive to sign him was financial isnt correct.
That was an exaggeration, but it's definitely something they discussed and one of the reasons for signing him, although not the main one.

JamDav1982

On one had you are saying club paid far too much on him then next say there is a fortune to be made off his signing from Turkey.

If thats the case the true cost of him is nowhere near 40m and not much to moan about fee.

He has not been that bad and is a good squad player which is all he was ever going to be.

slicknick

Turkey is not that big of a market, as a Turk, this I can assure you ( compared to other markets with newly budding enthusiasts, it is absolutely dwarfed by the US, China, India, Qatar and all that (not to mention, the Turkish economy has been barely growing for the past 2 years or so)

Keki

believe me Arda got more fans in middle east to most of Asia than turkey , look in to sports news in qatar ,azerbaycan ,malaysian , japan , korea , china and so on .... ......... after Messi Arda is probably most followed player in barca around those parts of the world , because he is well proven La Liga player that's why he was paid the 40M, he doesn't have to prove him self to you specially after 3 months or less.
by the way he just had turned 29.

Horatio

You're welcome
Turkey is not that big of a market, as a Turk, this I can assure you ( compared to other markets with newly budding enthusiasts, it is absolutely dwarfed by the US, China, India, Qatar and all that (not to mention, the Turkish economy has been barely growing for the past 2 years or so)

Barely growing for the past 2 years or so? Hasn't Turkey's GDP been steadily growing ever since Erodgan's assignment?

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
believe me Arda got more fans in middle east to most of Asia than turkey , look in to sports news in qatar ,azerbaycan ,malaysian , japan , korea , china and so on .... ......... after Messi Arda is probably most followed player in barca around those parts of the world , because he is well proven La Liga player that's why he was paid the 40M, he doesn't have to prove him self to you specially after 3 months or less.
by the way he just had turned 29.

Why not ? Because of the beard ?

Darko

Who gives a shit if he has a gazillion fans, he's been playing like shit and need to show a lot more if he doesn't want to be labeled as a flop.
"he doesn't have to prove himself to you", what a load of crap. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans