Arda Turan

Darko

How can people have so short memories, it's incredible.
Rocketic didn't fit in our lineup for nearly 6 months, can we wait a bit for turan?

I love this "short memories/Rakitic didn't fit" argument.
Let's just pull up some quotes from the Rakitic thread when he to Barca, shall we.

"This guy keeps impressing me to no end. Absolutely awesome game from him yet again!"

"100% starter, passing ability, positioning, game reading, defensive work, the perfect player for any squad, and just for 18M."

"What a bargain!"

People started saying "he didn't fit in our system" when we started dropping points and needed a scapegoat.
Over who?

Exactly, he currently wouldn't start ahead of any of our midfielders (Iniesta, Rakitic, Sergi, Rafinha, Denis), so he is playing shit for a 40M transfer. The only reason he isn't getting crucified is because we are winning all our games. If it was a year ago he would be getting just as much flack as Suarez was getting.
But unlike Suarez, the best striker in the world who was groomed by Ajax and it was just a matter of time before he started performing, Arda (from Atletico, the exact opposite of Barca) needs to prove that he can fit in.

Alik

Exactly, he currently wouldn't start ahead of any of our midfielders (Iniesta, Rakitic, Sergi, Rafinha, Denis), so he is playing shit for a 40M transfer. The only reason he isn't getting crucified is because we are winning all our games. If it was a year ago he would be getting just as much flack as Suarez was getting.
But unlike Suarez, the best striker in the world who was groomed by Ajax and it was just a matter of time before he started performing, Arda (from Atletico, the exact opposite of Barca) needs to prove that he can fit in.

Again, you take it too far when you say he wouldn't start over Rafinha. Of course he'd start over Rafinha, who has been just come back from a long injury and who had a rocky integration to the squad too. Denis has never even played a match for us either.

I'm already expecting the time Rafinha comes back, doesn't light the up the world, and suffers from the same overreaction that Turan is suffering from.

You say he is playing shit for a 40M transfer. If he played as well as his price tag, then he would be starting over Rakitic, no? What kind of logic is that?

Turan was brought in to be compete for a position in the team. Yes he has been disappointing in that regard, but he has not been playing terribly and it hasn't even been 6 months!

Keki

Let's just pull up some quotes from the Rakitic thread when he to Barca, shall we.

"This guy keeps impressing me to no end. Absolutely awesome game from him yet again!"

"100% starter, passing ability, positioning, game reading, defensive work, the perfect player for any squad, and just for 18M."

"What a bargain!"

People started saying "he didn't fit in our system" when we started dropping points and needed a scapegoat.

pleeeeease stop comparing !!! he's clearly not ready , still on 8 starts he managed 2 goal's 3 assists , imagine him when he is fully adopted to barca way of play , love Raki but don't compare their quality's ,Arda's dribbling , ball control , vision cost's 40M , Raki is more stubborn ,full of running and been a team player
but his ball control suck's .

Narto

"What a bargain!"

A lot of factors are in play when determining a players price tag, and most of them are only known to the parties involved. So instead of judging his performance based on his price tag, you really should just ask yourself if he is performing according to the standard of a Barcelona midfielder - and in my mind he is. All of the games he played equal to or outperformed Roberto and even Rakitic in two to three games. And this is also taking consideration adapting to a new system and not playing for a couple of months. Also saying that he won't start over Rafinha, who just came back, and Denis, who hasn't played a single game for the team yet, is just ridiculous.

Barcilliant

Lol@people making Arda the new scapegoat!
He still needs time and the signs are encouraging.
His role here is clearly going to be different from his time at AM.
I've watched a few of his games and his defensive contributions have been immense. Offensively he's still out of sync but that's a question of confidence and time.

Catalan Fan

I was "Team Arda" before we signed him.I still am.

I totally agree that he's not been outstanding offensively and looks for the safer pass most of the time, and yes he's picked up a few yellows for clumsy challenges as well.Also his work rate is not on a par with the likes of Raki either.

But he's been a safe replacement/occasional starter so far.His defensive play has mostly been good and I suspect he's following Lucho's instructions in that respect.He's scored a couple n got a few assists and I think that he's slowly getting into his rhythm.

Work in progress for me, but he gives us more squad depth in midfield which we need.Still confident he'll make a difference by the end of May, which is when we should judge him.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Instead of people being happy with our current midfield depth everyone is bitching about it.
Any team in world football would be thrilled to have both Rakitic and Arda.
Both are hard core pros who work for the benefit of the team. Both provide competition and something different to the team.
Perhaps we should bring Cesc back? 😉

FinBarcelonafan

I was "Team Arda" before we signed him.I still am.

I totally agree that he's not been outstanding offensively and looks for the safer pass most of the time, and yes he's picked up a few yellows for clumsy challenges as well.Also his work rate is not on a par with the likes of Raki either.

But he's been a safe replacement/occasional starter so far.His defensive play has mostly been good and I suspect he's following Lucho's instructions in that respect.He's scored a couple n got a few assists and I think that he's slowly getting into his rhythm.

Work in progress for me, but he gives us more squad depth in midfield which we need.Still confident he'll make a difference by the end of May, which is when we should judge him.

Absolutely. We need Arda for depth reasons alone. It's great to have someone so good as a backup for Rakitic/Iniesta.

Darko

Again, you take it too far when you say he wouldn't start over Rafinha. Of course he'd start over Rafinha, who has been just come back from a long injury and who had a rocky integration to the squad too. Denis has never even played a match for us either.

I'm already expecting the time Rafinha comes back, doesn't light the up the world, and suffers from the same overreaction that Turan is suffering from.

You say he is playing shit for a 40M transfer. If he played as well as his price tag, then he would be starting over Rakitic, no? What kind of logic is that?

Turan was brought in to be compete for a position in the team. Yes he has been disappointing in that regard, but he has not been playing terribly and it hasn't even been 6 months!

I worded it incorrectly, imagine start of next season, everyone fit, Rafinha playing like he did before injury and Denis playing like he has been for Villarreal. They would both be ahead of Arda playing like he has been for Barca.

"If he played as well as his price tag, then he would be starting over Rakitic, no?"
No. I never said that nor did I say anything similar. I'm saying he needs to do a lot more to prove the 40M was well spent, for example we could have gotten Gundogan for less and he would have been a better fit. So comments like "I would start him every game" and "he doesn't have to prove himself" are just ridiculous.

Keki

I worded it incorrectly, imagine start of next season, everyone fit, Rafinha playing like he did before injury and Denis playing like he has been for Villarreal. They would both be ahead of Arda playing like he has been for Barca.

"If he played as well as his price tag, then he would be starting over Rakitic, no?"
No. I never said that nor did I say anything similar. I'm saying he needs to do a lot more to prove the 40M was well spent, for example we could have gotten Gundogan for less and he would have been a better fit. So comments like "I would start him every game" and "he doesn't have to prove himself" are just ridiculous.

Mate forget about price tag for a minute ....experienced midfielder in La liga 40M is normal , that's why 18M was paid for Raki tbh. At the beginning of the season Was Raki playing well as he is now NO !! that's why he was getting the stick , now places up for grab's in midfield no one is safe that's a good thing , if Arda can't prove him self by next season yeah i have to agree with some of you.
Bring in someone out side of La liga like Gundogan ,Pogba can prove risky,and very costly ,
better devil you know.

Dado

My question to you if he remains a bench player this and next year will he be content with that or ask out?

F

Flavia

Lucho didn't want gundogan. He asked for Arda.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Two extremes at work here.

All I'll say about Arda is that he has a lot to improve, but it's still early days for him. Very.

That said, everyone who thought he would start over Rakitic easily need a piece of some humble pie. Rakitic is criminally underrated here at times for other more attractive names.

Home of Barca Fans