Arda Turan

Galning

With all the midfield signings he will really need to step it up if he wants to see some football. Some people keep saying he can play on the wings too but he was even worse there last season, which is quite an achievement looking at his performances in midfield.

serghei

Things are simple. He only has three options.

a) He starts to work harder and shows he can still be one of the best midfielders in La Liga.
b) He realises the level is too high for him at 29 years old, and he leaves.
c) He stays without raising his level and he becomes best friends with the bench.

Either way the money have been spent, and only a part of those money will be recuperated from an eventual sale. Best thing would be for him to play well and provide a solid option in midfield. A lot of things can change during the summer.

I don't like the idea of him being a winger. His place is still in midfield for me, but he would still need to find a way to up his workrate. If he can't provide the raw energy required to play in midfield at Barcelona he can't be counted on in the important games.

For me, if all players could play at their maximum level, we can align two class midfield line-ups. Iniesta - Busi - Rakitic, and Gomes - Mascherano - Turan. Big if though...

Last edited:

God Serena

Things are simple. He only has three options.

a) He starts to work harder and shows he can still be one of the best midfielders in La Liga.
b) He realises the level is too high for him at 29 years old, and he leaves.
c) He stays without raising his level and he becomes best friends with the bench.

Either way the money have been spent, and only a part of those money will be recuperated from an eventual sale. Best thing would be for him to play well and provide a solid option in midfield. A lot of things can change during the summer.

I don't like the idea of him being a winger. His place is still in midfield for me, but he would still need to find a way to up his workrate. If he can't provide the raw energy required to play in midfield at Barcelona he can't be counted on in the important games.

For me, if all players could play at their maximum level, we can align two class midfield line-ups. Iniesta - Busi - Rakitic, and Gomes - Mascherano - Turan. Big if though...

The thing is it may just be too late for him. With all our signings we simply don't have a need for him. Rafinha outperformed him by some distance and his leg was broken for longer than Turan was suspended. I'd rather just dump all free minutes on Denis/Rafinha and see how they respond because we know they'll at least give an effort. Arda is too much of a risk at this point. I'd take 10m for him, personally. Anything higher is probably being unrealistic.

serghei

The thing is it may just be too late for him. With all our signings we simply don't have a need for him. Rafinha outperformed him by some distance and his leg was broken for longer than Turan was suspended. I'd rather just dump all free minutes on Denis/Rafinha and see how they respond because we know they'll at least give an effort. Arda is too much of a risk at this point. I'd take 10m for him, personally. Anything higher is probably being unrealistic.

I see your point man, but you have to agree to something as well. The idea that an in form Arda Turan is better than Rafinha and Denis Suarez, and quite clearly. Now, maybe Arda Turan will not show his best at Barcelona, and in this case, no, I don't think he can help us. But if his form does come back next season, then he is quite a player to have in your squad.

This is the key with Arda Turan, you either think he'll recover his form, or not. But there is no valid point to be made about him not being one of the best midfielders in Spain when on form. It's clear that he is.

The main problem I have with super-heavy criticism regarding a player who was great not long ago is that it can look very bad for some posters. If by any chance Arda Turan will have a great season some here will look really bad. Like really really bad.

Save your super-heavy criticism for players like Douglas. Not for Arda Turan. Not after only 6 months of football, in which he played badly, and still managed to score 3 goals and set up some other goals as well. You could even see the talent he has even in these bad games.

If he'll have a shit season, yea, heavy criticism is justifiable. Not yet though.

Last edited:

God Serena

I see your point man, but you have to agree to something as well. The idea that an in form Arda Turan is better than Rafinha and Denis Suarez, and quite clearly. Now, maybe Arda Turan will not show his best at Barcelona, and in this case, no, I don't think he can help us. But if his form does come back next season, then he is quite a player to have in your squad.

That he is better "in form" is undeniable. We're comparing two relatively inexperienced kids to a top midfielder. The thing is, he has shown us that the Arda Turan of Atletico is very different from the Arda Turan of Barca. We've seen many cinstances of this being the case, where great Atletico players end up failing without Cholo Simeone there to constantly whip them into playing his way. One of the first things he said when joining us was that he was happy to leave Atleti because he "Didn't want to run". His form is only part of the issue. His general aptitude towards wanting to put in maximum effort is severely lacking and is not what a Barca player should be.

This is the key with Arda Turan, you either think he'll recover his form, or not. But there is no valid point to be made about him not being one of the best midfielders in Spain when on form. It's clear that he is.

What is his form? A strong case could be made that a player's form for Atletico and their actual level are two different things.

The main problem I have with super-heavy criticism regarding a player who was great not long ago is that it can look very bad for some posters. If by any chance Arda Turan will have a great season some here will look really bad. Like really really bad.

Even if he turns it around and has a better season than all of MSN combined none of his current detractors will look bad at all. Him suddenly reversing his situation and playing well wouldn't mean that his first six months of playing were good. Yes, he had a 4 month ban before he could play, but he could still train with the team. Rafinha was injured for a much longer period of time and couldn't even train in that period, but he still showed much more than Arda did upon his return.

Save your super-heavy criticism for players like Douglas. Not for Arda Turan. Not after only 6 months of football, in which he played badly, and still managed to score 3 goals and set up some other goals as well. You could even see the talent he has even in these bad games.

Douglas is a joke, but he doesn't deserve heavy criticism unless someone says something blasphemous to support him (Like you when you said he's good enough to play for a La Liga team, lol). There is no debate that he should not play, or that we should get rid of him. There is no debate that he should have never been bought in the first place, even.

If he'll have a shit season, yea, heavy criticism is justifiable. Not yet though.

He's already had a bad season. Just because he was banned for the short end of it doesn't mean the second half doesn't matter.

R

reaper

Culturally the Turks draw many red lines politically. 'If you do this - this will happen..' However in reality, they usually back down. We have now had Arda's fans, agent, Arda himself and even Barcelona say he wont leave.. and yet - as each day passes, he is a walking ghost.

Richard.H

I don't have a problem with him leaving, as long as the money is good. Nothing under 25m. for me.

I highly doubt we would sell him for 25 m if he continues this poor form. No club will pay more than 20m for him (well... maybe one of those random Chinese clubs)

Stric

We won't get 25M for a player that we're openly unhappy with. And besides, 25M for Arda Turan in a market where Lukaku is worth 75 and Higuain 94 should be fucking illegal.

Zincubus

Banned
I highly doubt we would sell him for 25 m if he continues this poor form. No club will pay more than 20m for him (well... maybe one of those random Chinese clubs)

Linked strongly now with Arsenal ...just £21 million though ...

Imagine Arsenal fielding Arda / Ozil / Ramsey/Mahrez in midfield ....

Home of Barca Fans