Arda Turan

Jombi

How much do you think he was worth this summer? His market value.

Why do you think Lucho wanted him?

Actually one of the reasons I think he could be useful was because of his ability to play on Ney and Messi's position but I am starting to question if he can play there for us. We'll see how he does there if he ever will.

His age is worrying. That's why I also didnt really want Nolito as a squad player either. But Nolito's clause of 20m euros is a more reasonable price for players at that age. But I dont think we'll sign Nolito.

Last edited:
F

Frejsgodes

Roberto is playing on every single position on the field and with no regular match rhythm. Anyone who plays football know that its extremely difficult and impressive. Only a class player would be able to do that. We are living in 2016, what happened years ago is not important and Roberto will be a regular starter. It's worth mentioning that midfielders like Wesley Sneijder, Michael Essien, Kaka and others started to decline rapidly around 29/30, so we cant simply count on players going on for years at that age.

Actually it is. And it's not just "years ago". It's the near past and distant past. So you should just stop that now. We can view player based on their past, in which Arda has shown to be a better player than Roberto, and we can view a player based on future potential. Roberto has age, knowledge of the system and playing time in his favour (as mentioned before), but Arda has been here for a very short time thus have limited knowledge of or experience in the system. Not to mention being match fit or having rhythm in general (i.e. regardless of system) - something Roberto does benefit of regardless of him having had to play many positions. He has played football. Matches. That's the point. That'll change (like it did with Suarez) and we'll get to make a proper evaluation of him. Given the context, it's foolish to evaluate now.
Also, mentioning those players doesn't make much sense. They are not Arda. Arda are not them. For every example you being up, there are players that have excelled into their 30s. Arda is 28 (soon to be 29), and we dont know when he will decline. It's speculation and has nothing to do with what we're seeing now. Now, if Arda is playing like he did against Malaga for the next year, i.e. not playing like he used to at Atletico, then we can begin to make some conclusions. By then he'll have had enough time to settle in and everything. But until then, let's stop with the nonsense.

Last edited:

mark1nhu

About Arda, I think he was pretty decent prior to Málaga's game, considering how much he was out of action.

About Málaga's match, the whole team was awful and I think most people here are jumping in the wagon way too early.

Jombi

Actually it is. And it's not just "years ago". It's the near past and distant past. So you should just stop that now. We can view player based on their past, in which Arda has shown to be a better player than Roberto, and we can view a player based on future potential. Roberto has age, knowledge of the system and playing time in his favour (as mentioned before), but Arda has been here for a very short time thus have limited knowledge of or experience in the system. Not to mention being match fit or having rhythm in general (i.e. regardless of system) - something Roberto does benefit of regardless of him having had to play many positions. He has played football. Matches. That's the point. That'll change (like it did with Suarez) and we'll get to make a proper evaluation of him. Given the context, it's foolish to evaluate now.
Also, mentioning those players doesn't make much sense. They are not Arda. Arda are not them. For every example you being up, there are players that have excelled into their 30s. Arda is 28 (soon to be 29), and we dont know when he will decline. It's speculation and has nothing to do with what we're seeing now. Now, if Arda is playing like he did against Malaga for the next year, i.e. not playing like he used to at Atletico, then we can begin to make some conclusions. By then he'll have had enough time to settle in and everything. But until then, let's stop with the nonsense.

I hope you're right. My opinion of Arda hasnt changed at all though and is the same as it was 3 weeks ago. And we shouldnt forget that he has trained in the system for 6 months now, but I do agree that proper match fitness hasnt been reached yet. Roberto is great now, but I'd say Roberto would be much better if he is given a regular position and is not benched every other game and then given a new position the next week or two because player X has returned to duty. I think most who play football agree with this assessment.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Arda was great at AM. There is no doubt he was a major factor in their success.

It's way too early to judge. Abidal a Barça great took two seasons to fully bed in and even greats like Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta didn't shine immediately. These guys knew the system and it still took time.
Arda hasn't played regular football for SIX months. He is rusty and not match fit.
No amount of training can equal proper match time.
Yes,age is not on his side but let's cut him some slack.

I wonder if all Barça fans are like some of these forum members?
Have some patience for the love of God.

Barça fans are living an extraordinary time in the history of the club.

When guys like Messi, Suarez and Iniesta start to decline expect a massive drop in performance.
We will see how many glory hunters are left here.

Barcilliant

For those who bring up Roberto.

At the beginning of the season how many people wanted him to stay here at Barça?

Virtually zero. Most including me wanted him gone. He had shown literally nothing.
He got some regular game time, this gave him confidence and it's turned out to be his break out season.
At the moment Arda is still so green. Let us give it time. We should be grateful we have him. He's experienced and a better player then Rafinha for sure.

Horatio

You're welcome
Strong on the ball which is great for possessional play and creative. Great player for Barca, just needs some time to work on his link-up with some players.

xXKonan

After the last couple of seasons where it seemed we struggled with Midfield Depth post Pep years. I'm just glad we finally have a good set of Midfielders and instead of worrying about being screwed when one of them gets injured :lol:

Kuchi

Just my 2 cents on Arda :

1) He is very skilled in holding the ball, protecting it when backed up against pressure, which is a very valuable skill

2)He is solid on his feet, something we didn't really have in midfield

3)It's obvious that he's not even close to full fitness, the reason he goes for the safe thing to do, without complications as he's not yet confident from a physical point of view. All eyes are on him so he is trying not to screw up until he is fully fit and confident

4)He was a beast for Atletico Madrid, he will do more than pull his weight for us (through weight i mean deliver in line with his "huge" transfer fee)

5)It's blatantly unfair to judge him after 4-5 matches, he played on a 3 day span (after, yet again 6 months), adding the fact that everyone needs a bit of time to adapt to the new teammates movement, runs, general rule of play

Patience:)

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Rakitic experienced the same transition difficulties as Arda is now. Many great talents have had to relearn football at Barcelona as David Villa himself has pointed out. Give the Turk some time, he'll come good - no doubt

mesirmurti

Some of you think that Roberto is better than arda, Arda didnt play any matches about 6 month dont forget this point and remember Suarez. Before Arda came to Barcelona Manchester UTD , Chelsea and PSG made offer to him and some of them offered better money for him but he rejected it cos Barcelona is his childhood dream. İf he is not worthy why that clubs made him offers ? or other clubs like Manu , Chelsea or PSG didnt make an offer to Roberto ? İthink it is absurd that discussing roberto is better than arda. Roberto may be good at the future but he is not good as ARDA. Arda needs some time than yo will see him

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Turan is better player than Roberto. Roberto hasn't even proven himself at high level yet, while Turan has. Way too early to compare these two. Roberto is just coming up..

Home of Barca Fans