Argentina

soul24rage

Olympics is about to start and it's a huge shame that some clubs don't allow some players to participate in the Olympics. With Mascherano as the coach, I have no confidence that this team will get Gold medal but hoping for the best.

Squad has been selected

Some players to watch out for
- Equi Fernandez - Injured right now, but should be good when the Olympics start. Probably my favorite U-21 Argentine midfielder who I expect good things from him.
- Echeverri - Doubt he'll play that much as Almada is in his position but is the captain. There were times that both of them were playing together. Exciting talent.
- Giuliano Simeone - Simeone's other son who had a breakthrough at Alaves last year. Shame he was injured in the beg. of the 23/24 season. Argentina does need a right footed LW and he can be an option in the future.

L3v1s

I was curious to know if its worth for Leo to go to the 2026 WC so I did some research to see what their squad can look like for the next tournament. He'll definitely not be starter material, but he can slot in as part of the 26-man squad.
Looking over Argentina's present&future, I'm surprised that they have a lot of upcoming talents. Their team is not in the slightest bad right now or in 2 years time, and if 3-4 of those prospects confirm in Europe things are looking positive.

GK: GOAT Dibu will be 33 by then so Argentina is in good hands, if nothing bad happens.

Defence: Romero/Lisandro Martinez will be in their prime playing for top clubs in England. Martinez Quarta could be useful as CB/RB backup.
Otamendi will probably be gone as he'll be 38 by then, or be 3rd/4th CB choice. Valentin Gomez (21 yrs old playing for Velez) seems like the only promising young CB atm.
The LB position will probably still be covered by Tagliafico & Acuna. Valentin Barco(19 years old) is promising but he has a lot of growth to do, he only joined Brighton this spring. 2 years could change him a lot for better or worse if he stagnates.
For RB I guess Montiel is still the starter seeing as there's no upcoming talent in that position. Molina only as a backup.

Seems like they have a few promising CDMs besides the already established ones.
Alan Varela, 23 years old CDM for Porto could be part of the squad by then. He's a guaranteed starter there.
Ezequiel Fernandez, 21 years old playing for River Plate. Could earn a move to Europe soon.
Santiago Hezze, 22 years old playing for Olympiakos. Won the Conference League, could get a transfer in the future seeing that Greek clubs usually sell those kind of players. Guy also has Polish citizenship, so we could see a Matty Cash change of heart depending on how he feels.
Maximo Perrone(21 years old playing for City, could move to another team since he has no chance against Rodri), but his time at City could still help him grew, see Julian who was a backup but was a good partner for Messi in 2022.

Mac Allister & Enzo Fernandez will both likely be in the prime of their careers aswell. Palacios is also there, and De Paul will only be 32 so they are stacked.

They are also stacked in the number 10 position if we talk about talent, however most of them still have a lot to prove and are not starters for their parent club. Dybala could be a starter as he's "only 30" right now and had a decent season. Some interesting prospects are:
Claudio Echeverri, 18 years old CAM playing for River Plate but got purchased by City. The newest "new" Messi? Seems highly praised and will join City in 2025 but I dont know if he's going to play at City. Probably a loan the next summer?
Thiago Almada turned 23 and joined Botafogo from the MLS. Weird move but after doing a litte research, he will join Lyon next summer as both clubs have same owner.
Valentin Carboni is another hope as he's 19 years old and belongs to Inter. He played a full season for Monza but is obviously not good yet for top level, might get a few loans for the next 2-3 years.
Facundo Buonanotte another promising 19 years old who plays for Brighton.
Nico Paz really needs to move away from Madrid since he has no chance to grow there. Only 19 still so its only up to him.

On the wings only two promising so far:
Matias Soule(RW, can also play in the middle) is only 21 and can be part of the next tournament.
Gianluca Prestianni, another 18 years old RW playing for Benfica atm. Probably too young to make any big moves for now.

In attack Lautaro & Julian Alvarez will both be in their prime, so they are covered for another decade or so. They could probably do with another striker, preferably a taller one to offer a plan B. Problem is they only seem to grow Lautaro/Aguero clones right now :LOL: Some promising options:

Lucas Beltran, 23 years old who had his first season in Europe at Fiorentina. Can also play behind as Second Striker.
Santiago Castro, 19 years old who joined Bologna this spring. Both of them seem to be playing like Lautaro.
Alejo Veliz, 20 years old belonging to Spurs. Will likely have a difficult time to get minutes there but who knows, maybe another loan could help him.

Seeing the multitude of options they have in midfield&attack, they could try to play in a diamong formation with 2 combining midgets upfront.

Again, if only 3-4 players from those can become reliable options for the senior team, then it's all good. Argentina can be among the favorites, besides the likes of France & Spain.

soul24rage

I was curious to know if its worth for Leo to go to the 2026 WC so I did some research to see what their squad can look like for the next tournament. He'll definitely not be starter material, but he can slot in as part of the 26-man squad.
Looking over Argentina's present&future, I'm surprised that they have a lot of upcoming talents. Their team is not in the slightest bad right now or in 2 years time, and if 3-4 of those prospects confirm in Europe things are looking positive.

GK: GOAT Dibu will be 33 by then so Argentina is in good hands, if nothing bad happens.

Defence: Romero/Lisandro Martinez will be in their prime playing for top clubs in England. Martinez Quarta could be useful as CB/RB backup.
Otamendi will probably be gone as he'll be 38 by then, or be 3rd/4th CB choice. Valentin Gomez (21 yrs old playing for Velez) seems like the only promising young CB atm.
The LB position will probably still be covered by Tagliafico & Acuna. Valentin Barco(19 years old) is promising but he has a lot of growth to do, he only joined Brighton this spring. 2 years could change him a lot for better or worse if he stagnates.
For RB I guess Montiel is still the starter seeing as there's no upcoming talent in that position. Molina only as a backup.

Seems like they have a few promising CDMs besides the already established ones.
Alan Varela, 23 years old CDM for Porto could be part of the squad by then. He's a guaranteed starter there.
Ezequiel Fernandez, 21 years old playing for River Plate. Could earn a move to Europe soon.
Santiago Hezze, 22 years old playing for Olympiakos. Won the Conference League, could get a transfer in the future seeing that Greek clubs usually sell those kind of players. Guy also has Polish citizenship, so we could see a Matty Cash change of heart depending on how he feels.
Maximo Perrone(21 years old playing for City, could move to another team since he has no chance against Rodri), but his time at City could still help him grew, see Julian who was a backup but was a good partner for Messi in 2022.

Mac Allister & Enzo Fernandez will both likely be in the prime of their careers aswell. Palacios is also there, and De Paul will only be 32 so they are stacked.

They are also stacked in the number 10 position if we talk about talent, however most of them still have a lot to prove and are not starters for their parent club. Dybala could be a starter as he's "only 30" right now and had a decent season. Some interesting prospects are:
Claudio Echeverri, 18 years old CAM playing for River Plate but got purchased by City. The newest "new" Messi? Seems highly praised and will join City in 2025 but I dont know if he's going to play at City. Probably a loan the next summer?
Thiago Almada turned 23 and joined Botafogo from the MLS. Weird move but after doing a litte research, he will join Lyon next summer as both clubs have same owner.
Valentin Carboni is another hope as he's 19 years old and belongs to Inter. He played a full season for Monza but is obviously not good yet for top level, might get a few loans for the next 2-3 years.
Facundo Buonanotte another promising 19 years old who plays for Brighton.
Nico Paz really needs to move away from Madrid since he has no chance to grow there. Only 19 still so its only up to him.

On the wings only two promising so far:
Matias Soule(RW, can also play in the middle) is only 21 and can be part of the next tournament.
Gianluca Prestianni, another 18 years old RW playing for Benfica atm. Probably too young to make any big moves for now.

In attack Lautaro & Julian Alvarez will both be in their prime, so they are covered for another decade or so. They could probably do with another striker, preferably a taller one to offer a plan B. Problem is they only seem to grow Lautaro/Aguero clones right now :LOL: Some promising options:

Lucas Beltran, 23 years old who had his first season in Europe at Fiorentina. Can also play behind as Second Striker.
Santiago Castro, 19 years old who joined Bologna this spring. Both of them seem to be playing like Lautaro.
Alejo Veliz, 20 years old belonging to Spurs. Will likely have a difficult time to get minutes there but who knows, maybe another loan could help him.

Seeing the multitude of options they have in midfield&attack, they could try to play in a diamong formation with 2 combining midgets upfront.

Again, if only 3-4 players from those can become reliable options for the senior team, then it's all good. Argentina can be among the favorites, besides the likes of France & Spain.
Good list. The WC26 will have 1 extra game so I expect the squad list to be 28 players. Even without Messi, Argentina will still be one of the favorites. With Messi, Argentina's chance increases.

GK: Besides the GOAT Dibu, we also have Gazzaniga, Rulli and Benitez. Good depth in GK.

RB: Molina, Montiel and Quarta is a good group. There's also Pablo Maffeo (who infamously manmarked Messi in 17/18 season) is also a great option. Malatini is another great option as well.
CB: Besides Romero and Lisandro, you have the likes of Senesi, Balerdi, Medina. Valentini could be moving to Fiorentina at the end of 2024 and there's a great prospect Anselmino who is heavily linked to Chelsea, but will need to impress a lot to be in WC26.
LB: Acuna will probably not be selected due to age and he's been hampered with injuries, so most likely Tagliafico and Barco. Nico Gonzalez and maybe Medina can play as emergency LB if needed. There's also Francisco Ortega who also won the Europa Conference League last season with Olympiacos.

RCM: RDP and Palacios will be there. I would have love to see Equi Fernandez in the team, but there's a high probability that he will go to Saudi Arabia which is hugely disappointing. Hezze, Nicolas Dominguez and Perrone are other options too. Hezze is in the Olympic squad for Argentina, I really doubt that he will play for Poland.
DM: We have Enzo, Paredes and highly likely have Varela in the team too. Barrenechea could be a good option depending on how he develops under Emery.
LCM/LAM: MacAllister and Lo Celso will be there. Echeverri could have a Enzo Fernandez WC22 impact. There are rumours that he might go on loan to Girona before going to City at the end of 2024.

RW:#10: I do think that Messi will go, even maybe as a starter. Dybala I could see him be there. Soule is a great talent who I think needs to be there. Don't see the likes of Almada, Carboni, Buonanotte and Nico Paz in the WC26 tbh.
CF: Lautaro and Alvarez are obvious choices. There's also Castellanos too and he should get more game time with Immobile leaving Lazio. Beltran and Castro are great option.
LW: Nico Gonzalez will be there although he shouldn't be a starter. Garnacho should be a starter imo. Giuliano Simeone is another option and had a decent season at Alaves and will probably be in Alaves again on loan and hopefully establishes himself at Atletico. Prestianni might go on loan to River Plate so his future is a bit unknown.

Last edited:

soul24rage

The Official Copa America Team of the Tournament.

Should have been 6 Argentinians with Lisandro included.

Vamos!

GT1qv-7WcAATlqv

soul24rage

Now that the Olympics are over for Argentina, Scaloni needs to prep for the future. Equi Fernandez is more than good enough to play for the national team now. Hopefully Otamendi convinced him not to go to Saudi Arabia. Sept. WCQ is coming out soon and I expect the list to come out within the next 2 weeks. Hopefully a squad similar to this will be released (not sure the amount of players Scaloni is allowed to call up, but hopefully he calls up a lot of defenders as that will be the one that needs a rejuvenation).

GK: E. Martinez, Gazzaniga, Rulli

RB: Molina, Montiel, Quarta/Perez, Maffeo
CB: Romero, L. Martinez, Senesi, Balerdi, Medina
LB: Barco, Tagli, Ortega

RM: De Paul, Palacios, Equi
DM: Enzo, Paredes, Varela
CM: MacAllister, Lo Celso

RW: Soule, Carboni
CAM: Messi, Dybala
FW: Alvarez, Martinez, Castellanos
LW: Garnacho, Nico Gonzales

Last edited:

soul24rage

Scaloni called up the following players

- Looks like the GOAT won't be able to make it due to injury
- Likes of Senesi, Medina, Varela, Dybala and Maffeo not called up.
- Likes of Pezzella, Otamendi, Guido still being called up. SMH.
- Happy to see Balerdi, Barco, Soule, Castellanos called up
- Equi is a huge grey area for me.

Not bad, but could be better

GVWjVCSWgAA_0Bm

GK: E. Martinez, Benitez, Musso, Rulli

RB: Molina, Montiel
CB: Romero, L. Martinez, Balerdi, Otamendi, Pezzella
LB: Barco, Tagli

RM: De Paul, Equi
DM: Enzo, Paredes, Guido
CM: MacAllister, Lo Celso

RW: Soule, Carboni