Arthur

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
With Arthur on the pitch you're going to play possession based football whether you like it or not. The lad is a one man midfield. I just cannot believe how good he is.

Horatio

You're welcome
I think praise is a little overblown. He is an amazing purchase and his ball retention is amazing. But I want him to contribute more and see more of those defense curting passes like the one to Rakitic against Sevilla.
Ia a fan, but there are still areas to develop in.

Total-Football

I think praise is a little overblown. He is an amazing purchase and his ball retention is amazing. But I want him to contribute more and see more of those defense curting passes like the one to Rakitic against Sevilla.

xavi had villa eto pedro and a non walking messi. no one of the current fat asses move without the ball. absolutely no one besides alba.. they do however occasionally when messi has it. and only occasionally.

Arizona Scott

I think you are right. The next step in his game is creative passes in the final 3rd. I will also credit his work rate and effectiveness on defense against Madrid. Especially given the competition it was an incredibly impressive performance they left no doubt to me he is ready to start any match that will come.

Cule4life

The Culest
Wonder why people demanding killer passes from Arthur don't demand them from Rakitic and Busquets. It's almost as if they don't know he's a 22 year old who was playing in Brazil an year ago and that our team is one of the most static among top teams in Europe

Donatello

Most obvious, but I don't want him being the first captain because he is more of a squad player rather than starter, neither do he has that persona or achievements to become the first captain. The only thing that makes him a candidate is because of him being catalan & La Maisa grad.

I know its not upto me, but if it was I would pick Ter Stegen.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I'm sorry, but it would be a cold day in hell that Sergi Roberto becomes Barcelona captain. Just imagine that for a moment. Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, and then...... Roberto.

It's a farce that he's even 4th captain in my opinion. I don't care that he scored the 6-1, he is not a leader and he should not even be a starter. Captaincy isn't an empty title, it's a role that should be bestowed on the squad member most capable of taking an active leadership role in the team. The one that you would trust the most to influence every player and the overall level of motivation. The captain should be the primary line between the coach and the squad as well.

Once the last of the golden generation are gone and maybe Alba too, I'd select the likes of Stegen/Arthur/Umtiti to be captain, the latter if he does recover from his injury. They just have way more of a presence on the pitch to follow, and I think ter Stegen has a great personality as well. He also helps out new foreign signings quite a bit from what I can tell. Umtiti has shown this too with Dembele/Lenglet.

Hell I think even Aleña if he ever becomes a starter is a better candidate, since he was captain at several different levels in La Masia and has shown good leadership qualities prior to his promotion.

EdmondDantes

xavi had villa eto pedro and a non walking messi. no one of the current fat asses move without the ball. absolutely no one besides alba.. they do however occasionally when messi has it. and only occasionally.

I was literally thinking about this a few days ago - wondering how Arthur would fare with prime Messi, with all that running, all that speed and movement along with Alves, Pedro and Iniesta's as well.

And Arthur's game is far beyond just ball retention, he's showing monster dribbling and work rate, and as Valverde said in the press conference prior to the Clasico, his passing is getting more and more vertical with each passing game.

It's not about just assists, he's passing through defensive lines so our front 3 can play one another in triangles or, play an overlapping Alba in.

ini4ever

I do want him to make those killer passes too but as Total-Football points out it's not like let's just do a pass killer and done. Our forwards especially Messi needs to run through opponent's defenders and make themselves available instead of being static.

EdmondDantes

Remember that over the past few weeks Arthur has created 6 legitimate 1 v 1 chances, the one Rakitic scored, the one Malcom went round the keeper and missed among them.

Joan

Most obvious, but I don't want him being the first captain because he is more of a squad player rather than starter, neither do he has that persona or achievements to become the first captain. The only thing that makes him a candidate is because of him being catalan & La Maisa grad.

I know its not upto me, but if it was I would pick Ter Stegen.
I agree. Mats has been my favorite for some time. But Roberto is already there.

Home of Barca Fans