Atlético Madrid

Maradona37

The thing with Dovbyk shows how important patience is especially with attackers. His first good season was at 24 years old in Ukraine and only moved to a top5 league at 26 years old. He flopped in Denmark at 23.

Then he moves to Spain at 26 and wins LaLiga golden boot in his first season here which is an award that far more reputable players have never won.

Really shows you how development is not linear and personal context is important when considering players. Sometimes players have the talent but they're just waiting for it to click or to resolve certain flaws they have.

I'm sure if we signed Dovbyk the fans would complain massively about signing a player from Ukraine, flopped in Denmark etc. Of course, not blaming the club for him specifically, but just an example that you could apply to other players like Roque when being overly critical and not being patient with players development curves and progression.
Very good post but especially the bold. Players have peaks and troughs and circumstances matter greatly. Players from the big western European nations for example will always have great advantages in terms of facilities, coming through their home league etc. Players from Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and other continents typically have a less easy career trajectory and have to massively uproot sticks etc.

I know guys like Vini have done well for example, but imagine how difficult it must be to leave Brazil for Europe aged 18. Compare that to Saka who came through the academy of his local club in the most popular league in the world and never had to move to another city or anything. Saka will have made sacrifices too but still. That's just one example but it shows how conditions are easier for some players. This might be why (for example) someone like Salah (despite being good) didn't actually hit his top level until he was 25 - he had a different upbringing. Had he been English or French and come through their youth systems he'd likely have been top as a teenager.

soul24rage

Official

GUE5yrnXoAA93Uu

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Apart from when they are scamming us, they are generally horrendous in the transfer market

Mid players like Sorloth, Alvarez, Dovbyk for a mid club that will always stay mid under the present manager and sporting department.

They rarely ever take risks on young players from South America either. As much as I like them for their Anti-Madridistaness, the whole team and club just bore my tits off.

soul24rage

Apart from when they are scamming us, they are generally horrendous in the transfer market

Mid players like Sorloth, Alvarez, Dovbyk for a mid club that will always stay mid under the present manager and sporting department.

They rarely ever take risks on young players from South America either. As much as I like them for their Anti-Madridistaness, the whole team and club just bore my tits off.
Alvarez is definitely not a mid player at all.

Porque

They get the Sorloth of the second half of season and it's a great signing.

Whens the last time Morata or Memphis got over 20 LaLiga goals?

khaled_a_d

Whens the last time Morata or Memphis got over 20 LaLiga goals?

Solroth has 21 goals in 113 games in his top 5 league career before his move to Villarreal. He was at best a decent back up.

He might be a late bloomer, ala Vardy. Or just a one season winder.

Porque

Solroth has 21 goals in 113 games in his top 5 league career before his move to Villarreal. He was at best a decent back up.

He might be a late bloomer, ala Vardy. Or just a one season winder.

Yeah. It's a risk, hence saying if they get the version of the second half of season.

But then the whole of Villarreal overperformed, so from Villarreal perspective it was smart to cash in. They learnt from Danjuma.

I think Dovbyk would have had more guarantees as his form was more consistent for example.

Home of Barca Fans