Aymeric Laporte

To keep in perspective, Marquinhos would be easier to get. Laporte wasn't in the market and didn't want to leave. Marquinhos was at least somehow tempted.

Bilbao wouldn't have had a choice but to let him go if we paid the buyout clause + taxes (which I doubt would have been more than the 43m we offered for Marquinhos). After that, I don't think it would have been too difficult to tempt Laporte, after all, no one not playing for a top club would say no to one. Especially someone playing in a position said top club desperately needs. EVERY player dreams of playing for the Barcas and Madrids of this world.

Marquinhos may have been somewhat tempted, but that didn't matter since PSG weren't gonna let him go.

Last edited:

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
I dont recall but im sure i have seen it mentioned on reliable sources

We can always agree to pay them 0.01 less than the total amount to avoid taxes (if they agree of course), which you only have to pay if the clause is triggered IIRC. That's why Illaramendi cost more than Isco (38 vs 30), since Sociedad held on to the clause while Malaga accepted +- 30 for Isco (they had to sell at that point...).

F

Flavia

Bilbao wouldn't have had a choice but to let him go if we paid the buyout clause + taxes (which I doubt would have been more than the 43m we offered for Marquinhos). After that, I don't think it would have been too difficult to tempt Laporte, after all, no one not playing for a top club would say no to one. Especially someone playing in a position said top club desperately needs. EVERY player dreams of playing for the Barcas and Madrids of this world.

Marquinhos may have been somewhat tempted, but that didn't matter since PSG weren't gonna let him go.

You don't know how buyout works in Spain, do you? The player himself has to pay the buyout. Hence why the taxes. And Laporte wouldn't do that to athletic at this point. So much that their reaction to clubs showing interest was to up that buyout, and Laporte signed it gladly.

You don't know how buyout works in Spain, do you? The player himself has to pay the buyout. Hence why the taxes. And Laporte wouldn't do that to athletic at this point. So much that their reaction to clubs showing interest was to up that buyout, and Laporte signed it gladly.

You're underestimating top clubs here. If he got an offer from one that was willing to pay his buyout clause, he would at least consider it. As any player would. Because, as I said, every player dreams of playing for a club like Barca, Madrid, etc. You do not say no to such clubs unless you play for one of them. I doubt the fact that he has to pay his buyout clause would really have changed that.

For the record, I'm not saying it was a fuck up of epic proportions to not go for him. Just that a Laporte chase would have been more successful than the Marquinhos one, and if we really wanted a promising youngster, trying to get Laporte would have been a better idea. Though the best idea was probably to not spend over 40m on players who are mostly potential (applies to both Marquinhos and Laporte, but especially Marquinhos).

Last edited:

JamDav1982

You're underestimating top clubs here. If he got an offer from one that was willing to pay his buyout clause, he would at least consider it. As any player would. Because, as I said, every player dreams of playing for a club like Barca, Madrid, etc. You do not say no to such clubs unless you play for one of them.

For the record, I'm not saying it was a fuck up of epic proportions to not go for him. Just that a Laporte chase would have been more successful than the Marquinhos one.

He signed a new contract at a time he was being linked to some of the biggest clubs in europe.

For him to leave would have meant paying his own buy out and being seen as a complete mercenary by the Bilbao support. Alternatively he could stay play a full season at CB, gain more experience in the CL and improve as a player.

The chance to join a club as big as Barca is likely to come again in future if he wants it.

F

Flavia

You're underestimating top clubs here. If he got an offer from one that was willing to pay his buyout clause, he would at least consider it. As any player would. Because, as I said, every player dreams of playing for a club like Barca, Madrid, etc. You do not say no to such clubs unless you play for one of them. I doubt the fact that he has to pay his buyout clause would really have changed that.

For the record, I'm not saying it was a fuck up of epic proportions to not go for him. Just that a Laporte chase would have been more successful than the Marquinhos one, and if we really wanted a promising youngster, trying to get Laporte would have been a better idea.

I'm not understimating anything. For starters, Athletic is not a small club. And they are in the CL. Laporte is 19 years old, he knows he has plenty of time to move later, if he wants to. He is a star and a starter there as well.
And of course the player having to pay changes things. Even more at athletic. He has no reasons to leave them in bad terms. Chasing Laporte would me more pointless than chasing Marquinhos. It would be easier to convince Nasser.

I'm not understimating anything. For starters, Athletic is not a small club. And they are in the CL. Laporte is 19 years old, he knows he has plenty of time to move later, if he wants to. He is a star and a starter there as well.
And of course the player having to pay changes things. Even more at athletic. He has no reasons to leave them in bad terms. Chasing Laporte would me more pointless than chasing Marquinhos. It would be easier to convince Nasser.

Still not comparable to a club like Barca. I still think the prospect of playing for a top club would tempt him, even if he had to pay his own buyout clause. Especially if that top club really needs a CB. This doesn't just apply to Barca, I think any top club desperate for a CB would be able to tempt him. I guess we just have to agree to disagree there.

JamDav1982

Still not comparable to a club like Barca. I still think the prospect of playing for a top club would tempt him, even if he had to pay his own buyout clause. Especially if that top club really needs a CB. I guess we just have to agree to disagree there.

It obviously wasnt that tempting or he wouldnt have signed a new contract when there was speculation linking him to almost all the top clubs in europe.

The only evidence we have of his thinking is the signing of that contract.

Of course playing for a top club will tempt him in the future but that will come again and he surely knows it.

It obviously wasnt that tempting or he wouldnt have signed a new contract when there was speculation linking him to almost all the top clubs in europe.

The only evidence we have of his thinking is the signing of that contract.

Of course playing for a top club will tempt him in the future but that will come again and he surely knows it.

Did he have any concrete offers? If he didn't, then I don't think signing a new contract proves that he wouldn't have been tempted.

F

Flavia

Did he have any concrete offers? If he didn't, then I don't think signing a new contract proves that he wouldn't have been tempted.

Athletic up his buyout as soon as interest began. It wasn't only Barça. Bayern, city and other top teams were in too, iirc. That's why Athletic acted quickly. And as I said before, he is only 19. He has plenty of time to move to a bigger club. No need for him to rush and leave Athletic in bad terms.

"Interest" is very different from a concrete offer. If I were him, a concrete offer would have done a lot more to tempt me than interest.

JamDav1982

"Interest" is very different from a concrete offer. If I were him, a concrete offer would have done a lot more to tempt me than interest.

What do you mean by a 'concrete offer'?

Clubs will rarely come to a player with an offer out of the blue. They will get in contact with the player/agent and let them know they are interested and how he player feels about it.

If there was interest and he was inclined to leave he would not have been so hasty to have signed a new contract.

There is little doubt he would have got a move to one of europes top clubs this summer if he wanted it. Even now I bet clubs would be willing to pay for him but its not happened.

F

Flavia

Man, you're thick. You are not him, by the way. Stop trying to make scenarios based on what you'd do, this is nonsense. The facts are when other clubs showed interest, Athletic offer him an improved contract with a bigger buyout, and he accepted.

Home of Barca Fans