Barca shirt sponsorship

Messi983

100M is a lot. But 10 years is a lot too.

Yes, I'd prefer 5-6 years deals so we could negotiate better deal sooner compared to the rest of the clubs. But it's understandable clubs and sponsors prefer longterm deals. Anyway, most of the top (marketable) clubs have signed new contract recently or will do so in the near future (RM, Chelsea) so that's probably that for the next 7 or 8 years when some of them could start to negotiate a new contract. I wouldn't be surprised if around 2025 clubs will get more than 150M, maybe even close to 200M per season.

Jefecito

Yes, I'd prefer 5-6 years deals so we could negotiate better deal sooner compared to the rest of the clubs. But it's understandable clubs and sponsors prefer longterm deals. Anyway, most of the top (marketable) clubs have signed new contract recently or will do so in the near future (RM, Chelsea) so that's probably that for the next 7 or 8 years when some of them could start to negotiate a new contract. I wouldn't be surprised if around 2025 clubs will get more than 150M, maybe even close to 200M per season.

The current deals was supposed to expired in 2018 (deal signed in 2008 for 10 years) and we still managed to get an upgrade. Chelsea rescinded its contract with Adidas by paying the years they had left with them because they had a way better offer from Nike.
Barça could have done the same with Nike and going elsewhere, but Nike can't afford losing the only top team they have left in European football.

Messi983

The current deals was supposed to expired in 2018 (deal signed in 2008 for 10 years) and we still managed to get an upgrade. Chelsea rescinded its contract with Adidas by paying the years they had left with them because they had a way better offer from Nike.
Barça could have done the same with Nike and going elsewhere, but Nike can't afford losing the only top team they have left in European football.

That's what I was talking about. :) Clubs can start to negotiate a new deal after around 8 years but there is very unlikely they could do that after only 4 or 5 years and even more unlikely they'd be willing to buy out their contract (and leaving hundred of millions on the table) to go to another manufacturer like Chelsea did.

"Second-tier" (looking from marketing perspective) clubs like Man City or Arsenal will sign new deals over the next 3 years but I'd be surprised if some of them will get close to what we, RM or Man United will have. Then it will probably be unchanged until around year 2023-24 when top clubs will again start to negotiate new contracts. And at that time they could get more than 150M/year.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Compared to Adidas, Nike has mostly small fish teams.

15/16 season:

BbsImg146366924735242_580x844.jpg

xXKonan

Nike is splashing more cash again, with the Rumored 100 million (Per season)Barcelona Deal and Chelsea's 70 million deal. I wonder if City will get a bump as well, considering I read somewhere they were only getting 12 million a season :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We're reportedly getting 100m + incentives and the option to merchandise our own product or something like that to generate some extra income. Couldn't quite gather exactly what it was.

Nike or any other shirt supplier won't sign a short-term contract, as it's not in their interest. Short-term deals means instability for them as the clubs might force their hands after just a few years.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Lets hope the rumors of 100M are true. I am more interested in the details of the contract, like percentage of profits and other merchandising rights. Afaik Nike takes the most profit from Shirt sales, something like 90% or that is what i heard.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Lets hope the rumors of 100M are true. I am more interested in the details of the contract, like percentage of profits and other merchandising rights. Afaik Nike takes the most profit from Shirt sales, something like 90% or that is what i heard.

Even still, do the math: a normal, blank (no name/#) 15-16 jersey runs for $90.00 right now. We average roughly a million shirt sales a season and that's a conservative estimate. That's roughly $90-$100 million in gross revenue a season. So even a tenth of that is $9-10 million a season, combined with our ability to sell our own merchandise on top of the 100 mil a season and our other sponsorship deals, we will still be sitting pretty financially irrespective of if Nike is taking upwards of 90%. They gotta make money on some of this, else they wouldn't do it.

This is a monster deal, as much as I hate Barto, making deals like this are why he won the elections again. This is marvelous for us and we could almost get away with not having an additional shirt sponsor now on the front with so much annual windfall like revenue.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It's good deal but certainly not a masterstroke. Sponsoring best club in the World with best player in the World and Nike's posterboy is just about best Nike can get.

Home of Barca Fans