Barca Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joan

Didn't Cucurella explode years after he left? Seemed like a right move back then as he wasn't performing. The club obviously didn't have much faith in him otherwise there would have been an option to buy or some other kind of a deal.

I am still not sure he would be a good fit though. But I'm happy for him.

khaled_a_d

Didn't Cucurella explode years after he left? Seemed like a right move back then as he wasn't performing. The club obviously didn't have much faith in him otherwise there would have been an option to buy or some other kind of a deal.

I am still not sure he would be a good fit though. But I'm happy for him.

He left in 2018, had solid season in Eibar and then loaned to Getafe on 2019 where he was good then we sold him in 2020 befire Getafe sold him in 2021. Till 2020 we could have got him back.
He was performing well with B team but Abidal had weird affection toward Miranda and basically tried to force him on EV by moving every other LB.
Among all of our LB prospects, I think Cucurulla was the one that showed the most promise in Barca B tbh.
Can't say he was going to be success here, but it just feels weird he got no chance considering circumstances

Joan

He left in 2018, had solid season in Eibar and then loaned to Getafe on 2019 where he was good then we sold him in 2020 befire Getafe sold him in 2021. Till 2020 we could have got him back.
He was performing well with B team but Abidal had weird affection toward Miranda and basically tried to force him on EV by moving every other LB.
Among all of our LB prospects, I think Cucurulla was the one that showed the most promise in Barca B tbh.
Can't say he was going to be success here, but it just feels weird he got no chance considering circumstances

I somehow forgot about Miranda and thought those no-shows were Cucurella, not Miranda.

JamDav1982

Cucurella hs not shown anything at Getafe or Brighton that would make Barca regret him not being at club right now.

Needs to get far more end product from left back before that ever becomes the case.

Messi983

Well, it seems steep price but it can be easily renegotiated.
If we want either, 35M will be the highest possible price, not the lowest.

True. But as you've pointed out it really depends on how they'll develop and also how much other clubs will offer. It's unlikely Santos would be willing to negotiate down his/their price if another club would offer 40m+. They would already be losing some money. If no club will offer more than 20m then we can probably negotiate lower price but there would be serious question marks if he/they are really worth even paying that much for if no other club is really interested in them.

Of course transfer fee doesn't always define player's potential/quality. We've experienced big money flops and cheap players turning out good/great so Kaiky and/or Angelo could still be worth a risk for 20m in "normal" times. We're not living in those right now though so every decision on the market will need to be well thought out.

Also in the end it's always on the player. If he prefers going to RM, PSG or City (assuming one or more of these clubs will be interested) he'll most likely end there despite us having a first option.

Angelo is taking the usual fast track of super talented attackers, 16 years of age he is making his debut and looking like explosive winger.
If he meets the showing of the likes of Vinicius we will surely buy him, if he stagnates for few years he will be another Gerson.
Kaiky is a bit new case for us, we rarely go for such young CB from Brazil unless for Barca B

Yeah, transition to European football is easier for offensive players. CBs in general need more time to develop and earn needed experience. We need someone who can step right into our defense and an unproven CB from Brazil is unlikely to do that. It's very likely none of these kids will leave Brazil before summer 2023 (don't know how long our option is valid but I'd guess it's at least until then) though so we'll have another 18 months to evaluate them and other options before making a decision. But I agree at this point signing Angelo is probably more likely eventhough on yt I like Kaiky better.

JamDav1982

Barca dont want to waste their time chasing these Brazilians only to be gazumped at last minute by another club.

That is why the clauses are in place and useful.

JamDav1982

Few years ago the best full backs were former wide players for most part.

Football is heading towards at least one full back in the team being a former CM that can step inside and act as a DM. Competent defensively, mobile and good range of passing is order of the day.

OR could be ideal role for Diego Almeida who maybe lacks height for a CB and not a wide/pacey player for full back but is top class on the ball. Seems like could be off to PSG though.

Messi983

Of course clauses can be useful but wouldn't it be better to take 3m Santos owed us and try to find a new Pedri in Segunda instead of hoping one of these Brazilian kids will develop into a player club will consider be worth investing 35m in? Hopefully he will and we could talk Kaiky/Angelo (or possibly both) was a bargain in a few years time but odds for that happening are not really high imo. In the end it could be just 3m thrown away for nothing. We've done a lot worse though so can't really complain too much.

JamDav1982

Of course clauses can be useful but wouldn't it be better to take 3m Santos owed us and try to find a new Pedri in Segunda instead of hoping one of these Brazilian kids will develop into a player club will consider be worth investing 35m in? Hopefully he will and we could talk Kaiky/Angelo (or possibly both) was a bargain in a few years time but odds for that happening are not really high imo. In the end it could be just 3m thrown away for nothing. We've done a lot worse though so can't really complain too much.

Yes it could have been more useful but also mends relationship with Santos going forward a bit so that may prove a positive in future also.

Who knows if Santos could even have given that 3m now.

Andresito

Staff member
Barcelona are tracking the market for a goalkeeper who can provide competition for Ter Stegen next season. Illan Meslier (Leeds), Bartlomiej Dragowski (Fiorentina), Yassine Bounou (Sevilla), Maarten Vandevoordt (Genk) and Alban Lafont (Nantes) are all on the list. [md]

Porque

Barcelona are tracking the market for a goalkeeper who can provide competition for Ter Stegen next season. Illan Meslier (Leeds), Bartlomiej Dragowski (Fiorentina), Yassine Bounou (Sevilla), Maarten Vandevoordt (Genk) and Alban Lafont (Nantes) are all on the list. [md]

Please no.

We were also linked with Luis Maximiano of Granada a few days ago too.

Messi983

Please no.

We were also linked with Luis Maximiano of Granada a few days ago too.

Why not? He's solid, would probably be too expensive anyway though.

MATS is reportedly untouchable for Xavi so I don't see why any of younger GKs would come here to warm the bench. If we don't intend to seriously challenge/replace MATS (which is a mistake) then save money and just give a 2nd GK spot to Pena. If we'll bring a new GK it will probably be someone "proven" from La Liga with a relatively low release clause. Dimitrievski was already rumoured to us and has a 6m clause AFAIK.

Maximiano is a great talent but Granada paid 5m for him and his clause is 25m so wouldn't be cheap for a backup goalie.

Porque

He's having an excellent campaign but one of those who has a ceiling and wouldn't leave as he's starting. Maybe someone you get cheap a few years down the line.

Weird list of names there. None you would expect to come as backup. The Belgian Vancevoordt seems the most attainable looking a values and his contract expiring but wouldn't come to play shitcan minutes, and needs to play and develop. While the Leeds goalkeeper would be very expensive and the one at Nantes would give a heart attack judging by his highlights.

Now if we were looking to give Stegen competition as a starter I reckon Dragoswki would give it a shot. But seems Xavi has no issues with Mats and likes his passing game to much to get a big name to compete.

khaled_a_d

He's having an excellent campaign but one of those who has a ceiling and wouldn't leave as he's starting. Maybe someone you get cheap a few years down the line.

Weird list of names there. None you would expect to come as backup. The Belgian Vancevoordt seems the most attainable looking a values and his contract expiring but wouldn't come to play shitcan minutes, and needs to play and develop. While the Leeds goalkeeper would be very expensive and the one at Nantes would give a heart attack judging by his highlights.

Now if we were looking to give Stegen competition as a starter I reckon Dragoswki would give it a shot. But seems Xavi has no issues with Mats and likes his passing game to much to get a big name to compete.

MATS is expensive, more expensive than his worth.
Sooner or later the board will try to get rid of him, even with Xavi and his amigo bromance.
And tbf Stegen competition is Neto, tough to judge what Xavi will do with better GK.
So it makes sense from club stand point.
Regarding the GK view, I fail to see a more obtainable starting spot for big club than Barca.
Bayern, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manu, RM, Milan & PSG all have better GK and in most cases they are same age or even younger than Stegen. Inter just signed new one, and Oblak was elite up till last year. Maybe Juve?
So if you are a GK with competitive nature, you see Stegen form for over 2 years, and our board coming for you. It is easy to buy into the idea you can prove yourself as starting GK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans