Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
So your argument is that he was average since he went to Roma for 13m? And since Castan was considered average he must be as well since Roma's system must pack in their defenders in a cotton roll.

Remind me how much Hummels cost BVB again, and how much T Silva cost Milan again?

He was highly rated in Italy while playing for Udinese(where I watched him play) in a system where defenders were not protected like the national treasury by the midfielders and full backs

Im not seeing it since your supposedly real arguments about the player's transfer fee at that time and your comparison of another player who did well, really fails badly.

But hey, you believe what you want, because if you dont see it not making any sense then I cant do anything about that :)

Cheers.

Last edited:

Alarcón

I never said Benatia was average. I was saying, a 26 year old Benatia transferred for 13m and a few months later he is considered to be worth 50m, and a 27 year old Castan who transferred 1 year earlier for 2.5m and looked like shit under their previous coach alongside an outstanding 18 yo Marquinhos and who makes a similar transformation in the exact same period, looks suspicious to me.

Obviously you did not get my point (you didn't want to get it either I reckon since Benatia is the second coming of Jesus around here) and your bringing up of laughable examples like Hummels who went to Dortmund when he was 19 or Silva who had almost died a few years prior to his transfer to Milan is exemplary of this.

Those are facts and despite all of your efforts they still stand and you have yet to present anything that disproves them.

The obsession with speed is because barca plays a very high line.Perhaps it has been quite some time since it happened but barca used to operate entirely in the opposition half with VV outside the penalty area and even the Cb's in the opposition half.We lose the ball in this situation and we will need a speedy CB to cover the ground...Unlike bartra..
Just think what a disaster mertesecker will be in this system

This. A slow pairing like Pique-Hummels would probably work great in a deep line, but a high line? I'm not so sure...

Last edited:

Kohe321

Alarcón, I haven't followed your back and forth with DonAK, but here's my little input: an argument based on his low transfer-fee from Udinese isn't very solid. I didn't follow him there so I can't say whether he was great or not, but there is a reason that the terms "hidden gem" and "diamond in the rough" exist. There are countless examples of truly great players who have been bought for peanuts, and seen their value rise in a year due to increased exposure, even if their level of play stayed roughly the same.

Alarcón

I get what you're saying Kohe, I didn't even say Benatia wasn't good or anything, just that both his and Castan's development in this very short period at the same time and at an advanced age seems suspicious to me. I have followed Roma for a few months and I think he is great but overrated. I can understand if people don't share that opinion but what bothers me is his saint-like status that leads to people insulting everyone who criticises him even a tiny bit.

DonAK

Your point is based on the transfer free paid for Benatia which is flawed at best and the comparison with Castan who held a regular place in Zeman's team due to solid performances, but was apparently average and only got better this season due to Roma's system, just like Benatia which you're trying to point out.

So your real arguments still stands at: Valuation of a player, low transfer fee which got much higher after a season where he got international recognition = cant be THAT good and his defensive partner Leandro Castan who was average before (your words), but had a fine season now so it must be because of the Roma system since apparently a player cant improve.

And while Benatia is hyped a lot around here on this forum and while im guilty of this as well, I doubt many here see him as a second coming of Jesus, but more of a very good defender who is somewhat available in a market where its very difficult to get an experienced top class centre back since most of them already play for a team who wont sell at any cost.

Those are not facts by any means, those are your opinions, just like these are my opinions.

And if you think I insulted you then I apologise because I never intended to do so, but I disagree with your opinion and your arguments and that's it.

Last edited:

zanela

From Alarcon's posts I've gathered, either he genuinely doesn't rate Benatia, or he doesn't like moroccons. :p Either way, when posters have already made up their minds about a player, its best to let it be.

Trafalgar

I'm moroccan and I have been watching Benatia for 5 years, and what I can say is that he's as much talented as TS & Hummels, he was excellent at Udinese but had some injuries issues ... He's big, tall, athletic and perfect in the air plus he is a warrior in the field ... so I think he deserves at least 35M.

DonAK

SPORT not letting go of Cuadrado :lol:

Br5bCL3CMAE96m9.jpg:large

Pepe Silvia

I don't rate Hummels for our team. He and Pique would be disastrous. They'd spend most of their time on the field talking about their vacations, hairdos, and manicures. We need someone with intense focus, a healthy amount of aggression, technicality, speed, and a beast in the air. Bring in Benatia or others like him. Marquinhos seems no nonsense but for me too young to really jump in and make an immediate impact which is what we need.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I get what you're saying Kohe, I didn't even say Benatia wasn't good or anything, just that both his and Castan's development in this very short period at the same time and at an advanced age seems suspicious to me. I have followed Roma for a few months and I think he is great but overrated. I can understand if people don't share that opinion but what bothers me is his saint-like status that leads to people insulting everyone who criticises him even a tiny bit.

I both agree and disagree with the bold. I agree with you that people sometimes insult others for stating their opinions so please speak freely. I disagree about Benatia's hype though and particularly fitting in at this club.

I'd rate the top 5 CBs in the world on their day at:

1. TS
2. Hummels
3. Chiellini
4. Kompany
5. Varane

Notice no Barca players on that list, surprise surprise. Benatia is a solid choice with high potential in a squad that he could come in and easily become the #1 CB. Everyone lauds him as the second coming of Jesus because our defense is simply that poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans