Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
c
continuing in relevant thread
[MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION], not seen many posts from you on a possible CM reinforcement. Would be interested in your opinion.

Pogba's name keeps being thrown around but I still hold reservations. The qualities he possesses that would be significant for us are his defensive strengths, his technique, and youth. Yet much of what defines him as a player and has built his reputation is counterproductive to what we want in a CM. A lot of his best moments come from him completely disregarding positional discipline and playing in a way that frankly resembles a more athletic Neymar. He roams up to the LW more often than not and positions himself so that a lot of his contribution on/around the ball is in the form of 1v1 dribbles, physical duels, or goalscoring attempts. We want our CM's natural tendency to be finding space and being able to link up our play well, which goes against Pogba's natural tendency towards high pressure situations where he is battling in between or around several players. If we were to buy him, there'd be some loss. One scenario is that he tones down his individual play and enhances his support game, in which case he mutes a lot of the qualities that made him reputable in the first place. The other option is to let him do whatever the fuck he wants like he has done for Juve/France and suffer in our cohesiveness as an attacking unit, which I'd bet my house that Lucho would not allow. We'd be paying >75M and the burden of fitting him in at the cost of either his own abilities or our system. I very much doubt it'd be a 'failed' transfer but it'd require a change in Pogba's style and it is, as of now, unknown whether he'd be willing to buckle down and make that change (he seems like the kind of player/person who doesn't naturally make sacrifices) and whether he'd be able to.

Gundogan is the other possible big name transfer. I like this idea more because it'd obviously be much cheaper and I think his inclusion would be a lot more seamless (plus he wouldn't be cup tied). He's proven at the top level and we'd be getting him at a point where his price is low, which is economically desirable. There are questions over his post-injury form but I'm willing to overlook that for a few reasons. Gundogan is a system player in a team that had no system this season. Injuries, lack of confidence, and desperation for points meant that Dortmund could not play with the same identity and momentum that they did in their prime. It was chaos and combativeness, no place for a player like Gundogan to show how he can perform in a patient, dominant team. It's already pretty obvious that Gundogan is strong at circulating the ball in possession and has intelligent movement/positioning. He has one crucial characteristic on top of that which makes me think he'd be a very valuable addition to our midfield: the ability/willingness to make quick forward passes in between the lines from deep positions. Whenever we are controlling possession and circulating the ball, it's always those kinds of passes that accelerate our play and start attacks. Messi and Busi are the only players who consistently supply those passes this season, Iniesta doesn't really do it anymore which is why his playmaking decline is so apparent. Adding Gundogan as a whole new outlet for that deep playmaking eases the burden off of Messi so that he can focus on linking up our attacks and making deadly final maneuvers rather than starting everything from the very base.

Kohe321

Great post [MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION], I think you touch it with a needle. I completely agree with your assessment of Gundogan, and he's the one I'd prefer we go after, and rather spend some of the left over money on someone like Kovacic or Oliver Torres. :)

G

Gasgas

................ter stegen
..vidal.......pique.........................vermaelen........alba
...........................busuets.......................
...........gundogan...............................................
..............................................rakitic...........
.................messi.........................................
.................................................neymar
...........................suarez

Egert

Estonian Culé
Apparently Ronnie said that Coutinho would be great for Barca. Can anyone confirm it? Let's go for him then :D

Barcilliant

This may sound crazy but Khedira is available for free. Why not snap him up? If nothing else he would provide some depth in our midfield. Experience too.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Gundogan worries me. All [MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION] said about Gundogan being a system player and his play suffering from the chaos of Dortmund this season is pertinent, however we can still watch the player and analyze his game independent of team contribution. What I saw at least gave me reason to be cautious. Gundogan post-injury suffered, at least to my estimation watching Dortmund at least a dozen games, from shying away from physical confrontations and lacking generally anything involving physicality like defensive contribution and agility. I saw a player that did not want to get challenged and did not want to challenge others, and I saw a player who's work-rate both offensively but specially defensively was not up to par with his previous pre-injury form. He still played with vision, and displayed good passing acumen and positional awareness characteristic of his game, and any other aspects lacking from his offensive contribution certainly could very well be attributed to the state of Dortmund this season, but anything that revolved around his physical state, physical side of the game and certainly pertinent to something affected by the injury, was visibly not the same.

Now Gundogan would cost but a fraction of Pogba's fee and is still relatively young, so by that alone the gamble is worth it. His tentative and physically cautious play could also very well be something temporarily psychological or just a byproduct of him returning to form and fitness, and I also did observe some improvement to what concerns me as the season wore on, however getting Gudogan and Gudogan alone, would leave me a bit anxious. I would feel a lot better about this signing if it did not come alone, but another CM was bought as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans