Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Pogba isn't a Xavi type of player, and why does everyone suddenly want a midfielder ?

Because apparently everyone just found out the Xavi is turning 34 and wont be able to perform at the top level for long

suckabov

Lemon curry?
What's wrong with that? Finding suitable replacements/alternatives only when the players in question retire is too late. And our transfer dealings in the past haven't really been wise in that respect for any position. Relying on Puyol for example could have turned out to be suicidal had we not discovered Bartra as our main option, which was a bit of a stroke of luck and more thanks to Mascherano getting injured than to the board's plans. Makes only sense to keep an eye on midfielders, at least until Samper is ready.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
What's wrong with that? Finding suitable replacements/alternatives only when the players in question retire is too late. And our transfer dealings in the past haven't really been wise in that respect for any position. Relying on Puyol for example could have turned out to be suicidal had we not discovered Bartra as our main option, which was a bit of a stroke of luck and more thanks to Mascherano getting injured than to the board's plans. Makes only sense to keep an eye on midfielders, at least until Samper is ready.

Nothing is wrong with that but its like nobody saw this coming and no matter how much people might disagree Thiago never looked to be Xavi's replacement he could not control the game and his Brazilian blood made him do dangerous and costly tricks in midfield that led to many goals

JamDav1982

I would be surprised if any new midfielders come in other than maybe a better replacement for Song.

The team is stacked with CMs and have Samper on his way soon.

Agree with above poster in that Thiago never showed he could replace Xavi and he was given ample opportunity in the first team in his last two seasons.

hardyboy

I think Oliver Torres will be and should be the replacement of Xavi. He is the only one i can see becoming the successor of Xavi.

Last edited:

Zuess99

Since diego aint too fond of playing torres and at times even leaving him off the bench I'd actually put in a bid to get him.

JamDav1982

Since diego aint too fond of playing torres and at times even leaving him off the bench I'd actually put in a bid to get him.

He is easing him into the team and the players ahead of him are there on merit.

Torres would get less minutes at Barca just now than he does at Atletico.

Zuess99

He is easing him into the team and the players ahead of him are there on merit.

Torres would get less minutes at Barca just now than he does at Atletico.

Would have to disagree with you there, if you look at how atletico play , torres really does not fit their style. He is not as aggressive as the rest and doubt he will have the same work ethic and strength as the others while simeone will be there .

JamDav1982

Would have to disagree with you there, if you look at how atletico play , torres really does not fit their style. He is not as aggressive as the rest and doubt he will have the same work ethic and strength as the others while simeone will be there .

He has looked very good any time he has played and not at all as if he doesn't fit in. Any time I have seen him he does work hard and get stuck in.

Other similar style players like Diego and Arda have thrived for Athletico under Simeone.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Oliver said last month that he hopes to retire at Atletico. He has done a lot to develop his work ethic and defensive output this season and it's very apparent. As he grows, he'll improve the physical side of his game and add an insane amount of creativity to Atleti's central midfield, taking on a bigger role with more responsibility in controlling their play. He does fit them and would help them a lot in the long term. Simeone constantly applauds his talent and growth.

I do agree that he would fit at Barca like a glove. He could slip into the side seamlessly and be the perfect player for us. If we were to go for him, it should be a few years down the line after he gets playing time at Atletico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans