Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceefoo

I don't like to use the word "Galactico" in reference to Barca. It is a Madrid label and one we should try to disassociate ourselves with.

Problem with signing Pogba is, that at such an inflated price, he has to be a huge success. If he doesn't fit in, then he'll be classified a massive failure. There is no middle ground.

It's a risk we could take, yes. But it's a risk that we simply do not need to take.

BBZ8800

A serious question now, I haven't followed Pogba's topic or plays before this Season because he wasn't linked with us.

Some people here are claiming how Pogba is already a proven player, who played multiple world class seasons in a row etc.

But..
-- if he is that proven and awesome (for years already), was he even mentioned/linked with us last summer?
I remember that we tried to buy Koke and Thiago Silva at all costs.

I mean, if last summer, we didn't even consider signing Pogba, and now, 12 Months later, he is tagged as the future best midfielder for the next decade, then wtf, lol (if you get my point?)

Last summer we could have bought him for much cheaper, and we haven't even consider buying him (right?).
And now, we will throw everything (transfer price+wages) for a guy who emerged in the last 12 Months?

Also, for people who say that he is proven for years...
What exactly has he done on NT level?
Or CL level?
He only has titles with Juventus in a Mickey-mouse Seria A without real opponents (where "poor" Roma, lol, is the biggest opponent to Juventus lately).

I am not saying that Kovacic, Gundogan or other guys have achieved more than him, but those guys cost 20-30 Millions, and Pogba costs 100 Millions.
For what exactly? For winning Seria A titles?
And huge "potential" based on his plays (again) in a Mickey-mouse one-horse-race in Seria A?

khaled_a_d

A serious question now, I haven't followed Pogba's topic or plays before this Season because he wasn't linked with us.

Some people here are claiming how Pogba is already a proven player, who played multiple world class seasons in a row etc.

But..
-- if he is that proven and awesome (for years already), was he even mentioned/linked with us last summer?
I remember that we tried to buy Koke and Thiago Silva at all costs.

I mean, if last summer, we didn't even consider signing Pogba, and now, 12 Months later, he is tagged as the future best midfielder for the next decade, then wtf, lol (if you get my point?)

Last summer we could have bought him for much cheaper, and we haven't even consider buying him (right?).
And now, we will throw everything (transfer price+wages) for a guy who emerged in the last 12 Months?

Also, for people who say that he is proven for years...
What exactly has he done on NT level?
Or CL level?
He only has titles with Juventus in a Mickey-mouse Seria A without real opponents (where "poor" Roma, lol, is the biggest opponent to Juventus lately).

I am not saying that Kovacic, Gundogan or other guys have achieved more than him, but those guys cost 20-30 Millions, and Pogba costs 100 Millions.
For what exactly? For winning Seria A titles?
And huge "potential" based on his plays (again) in a Mickey-mouse one-horse-race in Seria A?

Pogba has been best U-21 player in the world cup and best player in France winning side in U_20 tournament .he reached quarter final with France and only beaten by the title winner .there is simply nothing more to achieve for a player of his age
We have been linked to T.Silva in 2012 and didn't even made an official offer for him ,all paper talk .I am not sure what you are trying to prove here
We weren't interested in Suarez b4 2014 ,in 2011 we had zero interest in Neymar and he was close to Chelsea .there is always a start in the interest .that proves nothing
Pogba was widely considered the best Player in Both Juve and Seria A b4 injury .again for a player of his age that is huge ,he has unmatched combination of physical tools and talent that gives him huge potential who can contribute right away
Fit or not is another discussion btw

Jombi

Pogba had a great World Cup for France, winning the young player of the tournament award, and was very good in the CL as well. And performances in Serie A shouldnt be dismissed IMO. There are many great players not only in Italy, but other leagues as well.

BBZ8800

Pogba has been best U-21 player in the world cup and best player in France winning side in U_20 tournament .he reached quarter final with France and only beaten by the title winner .there is simply nothing more to achieve for a player of his age
We have been linked to T.Silva in 2012 and didn't even made an official offer for him ,all paper talk .I am not sure what you are trying to prove here
We weren't interested in Suarez b4 2014 ,in 2011 we had zero interest in Neymar and he was close to Chelsea .there is always a start in the interest .that proves nothing
Pogba was widely considered the best Player in Both Juve and Seria A b4 injury .again for a player of his age that is huge ,he has unmatched combination of physical tools and talent that gives him huge potential who can contribute right away
Fit or not is another discussion btw

Saviola was the best young player on U-19 or U-20 (or whatever tournaments).
The same as Diego in the past, Sinama Pongolle, Le Tallec and 100s of other players.

I don't rate that high U-xx tournaments, because again, you play against kids there.
Wan't Deulo also very good in youth NT teams?

I watched WC last year and wasn't impressed at all with Pogba and his impact (I remember that someone said that there was virtually no difference when Pogba was on the field and when he was subbed off).

So, in the end, we are paying 80-100 Millions for his Seria A plays and for his enormous (perfectly hyped) potential?

Again, that doesn't mean that he won't turn into a next Neymar.
But he can easily turn into another player who hasn't reached his hyped potential from this or that reason.

I know, I know, you need to take risks sometimes.
But 80-100 M risk in moments when we have a perfect treble winning team is still not worthy in my eyes.
Not even close.

Pogba had a great World Cup for France, winning the young player of the tournament award, and was very good in the CL as well.

Ok, at least someone was impressed by his performances at WC...

Alen

Saviola was the best young player on U-19 or U-20 (or whatever tournaments).
The same as Diego in the past, Sinama Pongolle, Le Tallec and 100s of other players.

I don't rate that high U-xx tournaments, because again, you play against kids there.
Wan't Deulo also very good in youth NT teams?

I watched WC last year and wasn't impressed at all with Pogba and his impact (I remember that someone said that there was virtually no difference when Pogba was on the field and when he was subbed off).

So, in the end, we are paying 80-100 Millions for his Seria A plays and for his enormous (perfectly hyped) potential?

Again, that doesn't mean that he won't turn into a next Neymar.
But he can easily turn into another player who hasn't reached his hyped potential from this or that reason.

I know, I know, you need to take risks sometimes.
But 80-100 M risk in moments when we have a perfect treble winning team is still not worthy in my eyes.
Not even close.

Ok, at least someone was impressed by his performances at WC...

Come on BBZ he was good at the world cup. He may not be worth 100M but he's very good.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
i like big risks, big rewards approach. look at how well it did for us with neymar and suarez. it could have been the same with ibra had he been humble and not so full of himself because he was an excellent player and i believe he would have fit in perfectly well otherwise.
i think small risks are for teams like everton and co to take, i am all for filling needs with the best players available

It had nothing to do with Ibra being humble or not. Messi was to be false 9 and that was that. Purely on pep and Messi.
Besides, pep and laporta knew what they were getting with Ibra. Did they think he would play on the wing? :lol:

Zincubus

Banned
[MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] You say that Iniesta has been on the decline for the past two seasons, and there is some truth in that he hasn't been the force that we have been used to over the years, but this cannot be because of his age. 29 is the prime age. The age a footballer should be playing his best football. I do not accept that Iniesta is over-the-hill.

Perhaps a more reasonable explanation we haven't seen the 'best' of Iniesta consistently over the past two seasons, is due to the way he has been used by the coaches in that time and the tactics we have employed. In those two seasons we have gone to being the most possessive team in world football, to a being a direct, counter-attacking team, that no longer emphasises tiki-taka. We now play exclusively for MSN.

I read somewhere that Iniesta was 33 !!?? How old is he exactly then ??

Zincubus

Banned
So by winning the treble we don't need to sign players and there is no room for iprovement? yup that seem legit
the same argument was made about Xavi 3 years ago and he should have actually been replaced in the starting lineup back during Tito's season but we have done it 2 years late .
Father time is unbeatable ,period .even the greatest players in the history of the game had to be replaced when getting older.Iniesta is no exception .Messi won't be exception .nobody will
Whether it is Pogba or not ,we should be eyeing Iniesta replacement in the starting lineup in 2016 .players decline with age .and when a players have been already showing signs of decline for sometime at his age it means you need to start working on his replacement rather than living in denial

Perfect post

BBZ8800

Come on BBZ he was good at the world cup. He may not be worth 100M but he's very good.

Ok, not you Alen, but in general, I see that some people here have turned on their revisionism mode now on Pogba.
And now it sounds as if Pogba was awesome for years in Seria A, how he was awesome in NT team etc.

So, the only way to turn-off the revisionism mode is to read some posts from 2014, then we will be able to see what people thought about Pogba in summer 2014.

So, let's check whether he was that awesome and respected back then, as some claim now:
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/11150-Paul-Pogba/page13

People should read 5-10 pages about World cup and his performances, it is fun.

For example:
What do you make of his performance in the first half? Wasn't too bad, but not really impressive either. Matuidi saw more of the ball in midfield than him I think?

As you said, nothing special but also no errors from him. Decent.

Good game, showed what we already know of him though. He is insanely strong and hard to rob the ball off but his passing is just decent, nothing special.

great player but not worth 60m (right now atleast)

A couple of years ago he would cost like 15M, today his price is 50-60M AND somebody will probably pay such crazy money for him. We should stay far away from him, there are much better players for half the price.

Edit: Forget what I said about half the price, but there are better and more suited players for us for the same price.

Didier Deschamps: "You're talking about Pogba like he is the star of the World Cup already..."

Seems like Deschamps is talking about this thread here ;)

Hasn't impressed me at all during this WC so far.

I was impressed....

... By his hair

Overhyped

I was hoping for more from him. I only watched today's match of France but he didn't impress me either. Hopefully we'll see one of his crazy longshot goals vs Nigeria.

Or any other random game.

Pogba is average. Nothing special, Verratti is a much better midfielder.

Kill me but I think he is the most overrated thing since sliced bread.. I don't see & I never saw all the hype around him... a tall player who can pass well.. nothing more nothing less

Easy there tiger, nobody will kill you :lol: As a matter of fact, the majority of this forum actually already agrees with you :beer2:
But seriously, I understand it's just media BS - but the numbers floating around - €50M, €60M or even €70M - lolworthy!

Big lol worthy...reason for the hype he played a little for United.. he is the one that got away... hell even Gabi Marcotti made a full article around him weeks ago...
I saw some of Juve games as well as there games against us & of course with the French team... there is nothing worth any of those numbers.. maybe pro-scouts sees something we don't see

Wow just came into this thread thinking the Barca Forum cult will put me on fire for thinking that Pogba is overrated. So glad that a few of you think likewise too.

P.S. I hope RM buy him.

Zincubus

Banned
Y
Ibra just doesnt fit our system. No matter what his attitude is. Same with Cesc.

I dont like this "galactico at all costs" approach, instead of being shrewd in the market. Election candidates love it though.

The last two worked amazingly well though ... Neymar then Suarez ...

Zincubus

Banned
:iniesta: Born May 11th 1984.

He's still in his prime as a footballer.

Sadly I don't agree , marvellous player and was my fave Barca player a few seasons ago but he's not been the same player for 18 month or so ... sure he's had his moments but our new style simply doesn't suit him as much as the old Tikataka stuff ... plus he's getting older and slower ... and loses possession more easily and often than he used to ( same applies to Pirlo and Xavi ) ...,

Barcilliant

It just baffles me that people are Comparing Pogba to Cesc. Cesc was/is a brat who thought everything would just fall into his lap. Pogba isn't like that. He took a massive risk going to Juve but he believed in himself and worked hard. Look at Rakitic also. Willing to work and sacrifice for the team.
Alot of people don't seem to grasp the fact that you need the right mentality for Barça not only the skills. Pogba has the right stuff. It will take time for him to adapt but if he beds in properly he will be a huge asset. Time is on his side too. He fits Lucho's style also. Direct,strong and skilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans