Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Guys I am all up for ditching pogba for kova but pogba and cesc are completely different situations. There is no reason to play pogba if he doesn't fit the team we will just sell him after 1-2 seasons like ibra. Cesc was different all that coming home bs was the main reason. There wont be that problem with pogba.

zanela

I get the concerns of BBZ of not wanting to disrupt a treble winning team, but at the same time, a team that has won everything is usually at risk of fatigue, lack of motivation, becoming predictable to opposition etc. You don't really have to change a winning squad, but it's imperative to diversify it. Quality reinforcements, with different profiles bring competition for places, revitalizes the squad, at the same time allows for tactical variation for the manager. A player like Pogba despite being young has more top flight experience than Kova, his physicality and athleticism are rare traits to what our cantera normally produces, whilst Kova is much of the same. Pogba a year from now will 've accumulated another year of experience in the CL, with Kova I'm not sure. Our midfield lacks strength in depth, and we 've been extremely lucky with injuries the past season. We have the Rafinha's/Roberto's, but we certainly need a third MF who has the quality and experience to fill in for either of Iniesta/Raki but also play an imp tactical role.
Let's just assume Iniesta's injured before a big match, or for an extended period at the business end of the season. Would you entrust a Busi-Raki-Pogba or a Busi-Raki-Kova? I know who I'd prefer.

That said, I don't want Pogba in an extravagant deal that also makes him our biggest earner after messi. Neither with the must-starter privileges if it were so. The rest, as a player and for the skillsets he brings, I prefer him to Kova as our next summer's signing, rather easily. And I'm not even a big fan of Pogba.

Last edited:

ceefoo

Iniesta is 31 now. After next season he's 32 so next season could be his last as an automatic starter (or the one after) as Xavi probably was a season or two too long.
Yes, I'm aware how old he is now. I was responding to [MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION]s comment that Iniesta has been in decline for two years (since he was 29).

Even more of a reason to get a world class player on who WILL fit the new directive - Iniesta will be an amazing impact sub .
We know that Pogba is Lucho's type of midfield player. However, Iniesta has been the only constant in our last 4 CL Final victories. He has also been a constant in "the most successful FC Barcelona team in history". So this change in style may turn out to be a good thing long term, who knows for sure? But wouldn't it be more astute to look for a Xaviesta type player, since that's the style that has brought us unprecedented success?

Be careful what you wish for culés. If you think that Pogba can promise you the world, that's your prerogative. Just remember what got us there to begin with.

Last edited:

ceefoo

If that's the case then Kova shouldn't be bought either on the pretense of not messing with a treble winning team.
You've just discounted everything [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] has just said. :snap:

I think that Kovacic wouldn't have any problems to be a rotation-squad player in the first 1-2 Seasons until Iniesta totally declines, unlike Pogba.

Yes, he is a starter at Inter, but this is Barca. We offer much more, long term...
Imo, he would easily accept being a squad player at first and later to take a first 11 spot.

He is 21, he doesn't have a fancy haircut, there is no too much fuss around him, his agents are not filthy rats, Kovacic is not asking for a 12M wages in the first Season here (lol).
^

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You've just discounted everything @BBZ8800 has just said. :snap:

^

You forgot the part where I said that we already have talents like Rafinha, Samper and others ready to accept to be a rotation player for now. We don't need another rotation player IMO. We need someone who can start or is a serious competition for a starting place. Pogba is one right now. If Kovacic has a great season with Inter then he's arguably one too. We need competition for the starting place. Not competition for the rotation places.

Also I hope Kova get a fancy haircut too. Would be hilarious to see [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION]'s reaction. You'd think Barcelona is some super strict boarding school where only a military haircut is suitable.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
What's hilarious is to read your comment. Lucho said he needed a replacement for Xavi. And Xavi wasn't a starter last season. So getting a creative midfielder who's willing to sit on the bench and be a rotation player makes perfect sense.

zanela

Why is Pogba's haircut such a deterrent for his signing? I find his hairdo ridiculous myself, but trying to use it as an anti-pogba argument is hilarious. By the same criteria Neymar's ever changing mohawk and Alves's outrageous styling, one which resembled a dot of bird's dung on his head must disqualify them as Barca players and should soon be transfer-listed.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You are focusing too much on faircut remark when you can se clearly that bbz gave many other reasons why not to sign Pogba.
And btw. I've read tons of other peculiar reasons why not to sign a certain player.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
What's hilarious is to read your comment. Lucho said he needed a replacement for Xavi. And Xavi wasn't a starter last season. So getting a creative midfielder who's willing to sit on the bench and be a rotation player makes perfect sense.

Lucho hasn't said anything at all and none of us know what he thinks, what he says, what he wants. That actually makes your post even more hilarious than mine and BBZ's, funnily.

Besides I already said that we should sign Pogba or Kova IF Lucho want so and has a plan on how to use them.

You are focusing too much on faircut remark when you can se clearly that bbz gave many other reasons why not to sign Pogba.
And btw. I've read tons of other peculiar reasons why not to sign a certain player.

He has his valid reasons, you'll find reasons to sign him and reasons not to sign him, both having equally good points. Haircuts however is not a valid reason and there's only one person being too focused on haircuts all the time.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Its important to keep in mind who we are replacing. A key aspect that pointed out in my post about Oliver Torres is that whoever we sign is taking Xavi's minutes. Xavi last season didn't have a lot of playing time total so the player who comes needs to be willing to have a similar role and I have huge concerns with Pogba of whether or not he will be happy with that. Pogba hasn't warranted replacing Iniesta or Rakitic in our starting line up yet. That is why I am in more of favor of having a less marquee signing to replace Xavi.

In my opinion, Iniesta's replacement is either Rafinha or Denis Suarez. Both are more attacking minded, less dictators of tempo, so I don't think its prudent to mix in Iniesta's decline to whomever we sign this summer, we already have his replacement.

The key aspect of who we buy should be Rakitic. He will be, at least for the forseeable future, a mainstay in our starting 11 so whomever we sign should be a complement to him. Pogba in this sense, makes sense since he is more of a dribbler than Rakitic but retains Rakitic's steel to keep that as a feature throughout or midfield. But with this in mind, this makes Kovacic more viable. They already play together in Croatia's NT and long term, this will help ensure Rakitic remains successful here.

I wouldn't have so much of a problem with Pogba if we weren't paying nearly twice of what he is really worth. Cesc went for 35 million, are you saying that Pogba is 3x the player Cesc is? No way.

Finally, its important stylistically that we get a CM that can dictate tempo. We were extremely fortunate we beat Real at the Camp Nou and particularly in the first half, they demonstrated that their midfield is stronger and better and controlling a game than ours are. That is why I think whoever we sign needs to showcase an ability to control and influence the game through possession and Pogba isn't that sort of player.

That's why I mention player like Oliver, Gundogan and Tielemans constantly. They possess this ability and this ability is what is crucially lacking in our MFs right now. Outside of Busquets and at times Rakitic, we lack a tempo, metronome CM which is what Xavi did and was a key aspect of what made our uber possession style work so well.

Our front line is lethal and can win games on its own but when it can't do that, that is when the ability of the midfield to control possession and influence how the game goes is the determining factor on how the game plays out.

The ability to control games was a key weakness in this squad last year and if we want to defend on all fronts next season, having a player in our ranks that can add control to our game will be imperative which is why I want someone more of Oliver Torres's caliber and specifically his skill set rather than Pogba.

Cule4life

The Culest
Please. Pogba is nothing like Cesc.

If that's the case then Kova shouldn't be bought either on the pretense of not messing with a treble winning team.

You dont buy an 80m player for the bench. That just not the way it works. Pogba will be shoved into the starting lineup.

If i had a nickel for everytime a naysayer foretelling the doom of the Don ended up eating his words, I would be richer than Bill gates.

In the first half of the season Lucho's system was not working. Too much focus on punting the ball to MSN with very little focus on midfield build up. Not just Iniesta, everybody looked bad. Then he tweaked and the rest is history.

I genuinely myself have doubts Pogba is good enough/suited for our play style. What has he done really? Some decent peformances and some golazos and the hype has become unreal. Will his "godly throughballs" be able to pierce the packed defenses that the Don and Rakitic face everyday? 80m is too much a risk on such uncertainties when that money can be used more wisely on other safer bets

zanela

We definitely need a proven CM metronome. But if the rumors are to be believed, Lucho rejected both Kroos and Ilkay, and going by the lack of rumors on Oli, I'm not convinced he's keen on a Xavi-mold midfielder, but rather a combative/versatile one. And it's sure to confirm my suspicion if Barca does end up buying his alleged marked out choice i.e Iborra to take up Xavi's mins for next season.

Jombi

The main risk of Pogba IMO is like you say another case of buying a player who will have to play because of his price tag with the risk of him not being a good fit for our team. Another Ibra after our 2009 treble in other words.

But I do feel that some ppl here are going in the opposite extreme and underestimate the quality of Pogba. He is a very good player and has shown it for multiple seasons now in the CL and Serie A, and if he fits, we have a great player for years to come.

I would rather see us take a lower risk and buy players that are not forced to play though, players we can ease into the team like Kovacic, Lucas Lima and Youri Tielemans. If these players fail, it wont be a case of Lucho feeling compelled to play them every week no matter what.

G

Gasgas

it doesnt make sense to me, remember that for most of the season xavi was actually good enough to start but due to age and the inability to play every game, 90 minutes each he was used to rest iniesta who was able to offer the defensive workrate as well.
by the way we already have rafinha samper and denis suarez who are comfortable warming the bench, why would we need another bench warmer? what if God forbids iniesta/rakitic gets a long injury, do we turn to inexperienced young bench warmers to play el classico?

i think getting A top class midfielder like pogba, koke, etc is imperative,
rakitic and busquets are there for the long stay in our midfield but iniesta? he's aging, we need to have four players who are definite starters in midfield, we have busquets,pogba,iniesta,rakitic competing in midfield, once we have an injury or a loss of form no problem.

i like big risks, big rewards approach. look at how well it did for us with neymar and suarez. it could have been the same with ibra had he been humble and not so full of himself because he was an excellent player and i believe he would have fit in perfectly well otherwise.
i think small risks are for teams like everton and co to take, i am all for filling needs with the best players available

Jombi

i like big risks, big rewards approach. look at how well it did for us with neymar and suarez. it could have been the same with ibra had he been humble and not so full of himself because he was an excellent player and i believe he would have fit in perfectly well otherwise.
i think small risks are for teams like everton and co to take, i am all for filling needs with the best players available

Ibra just doesnt fit our system. No matter what his attitude is. Same with Cesc.

I dont like this "galactico at all costs" approach, instead of being shrewd in the market. Election candidates love it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans