Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceefoo

[MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] You say that Iniesta has been on the decline for the past two seasons, and there is some truth in that he hasn't been the force that we have been used to over the years, but this cannot be because of his age. 29 is the prime age. The age a footballer should be playing his best football. I do not accept that Iniesta is over-the-hill.

Perhaps a more reasonable explanation we haven't seen the 'best' of Iniesta consistently over the past two seasons, is due to the way he has been used by the coaches in that time and the tactics we have employed. In those two seasons we have gone to being the most possessive team in world football, to a being a direct, counter-attacking team, that no longer emphasises tiki-taka. We now play exclusively for MSN.

Qonny

I think pogba would be a good investment. Considering he couldn't be joining until 2016, we wouldn't have this disruption of our treble-winning squad either, which some people seem to be worried about.

Zincubus

Banned
[MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] You say that Iniesta has been on the decline for the past two seasons, and there is some truth in that he hasn't been the force that we have been used to over the years, but this cannot be because of his age. 29 is the prime age. The age a footballer should be playing his best football. I do not accept that Iniesta is over-the-hill.

Perhaps a more reasonable explanation we haven't seen the 'best' of Iniesta consistently over the past two seasons, is due to the way he has been used by the coaches in that time and the tactics we have employed. In those two seasons we have gone to being the most possessive team in world football, to a being a direct, counter-attacking team, that no longer emphasises tiki-taka. We now play exclusively for MSN.

Even more of a reason to get a world class player on who WILL fit the new directive - Iniesta will be an amazing impact sub .

Ritchie

1. We have Iniesta and Rakitic. We only need depth. The idea of Pogba on the bench or disrupting a treble winning team( like Cesc) is dumber than the people who follow kim kardashian. We can make do with Rafinha, Dennis etc. or sign cheaper alternatives like kovacic who'll accept the bench.

2. If against all sense we have to get him, anything over 50m transfer fee and 5m net in wages(taking into account current inflated market) is more insane than Hannibal Lecter

We have a very good first XI now that doesn't need disrupting yet - transfer ban a blessing in disguise in that respect - and have already signed Alves' replacement. We need a bit more quality depth because La Masia has dried up. In an ideal world we'd have a 21-year-old Thiago to rotate with Iniesta and Rakitic and eventually take over from Iniesta.

Without the talent coming through La Masia then Pogba is the big signing that might be required in midfield that will come in with Xavi leaving and Iniesta ageing. Iniesta still has years in him, but he was poor this season until the business end of the season. Increasingly we'll need to keep his legs fresh and Raki benefited a lot from heavy rotation.

Last edited:

Ritchie

Iniesta is 31 now. After next season he's 32 so next season could be his last as an automatic starter (or the one after) as Xavi probably was a season or two too long.

If you've got Pogba, Rakitic and Iniesta rotating between 2 positions over 60 games then they can all start 40 (and if needs be come off the bench for the others). Factor in injuries, fifa virus and suspensions as well. It's better than Rafinha coming in if anything happens to Raki or Iniesta, with all due respect. We need the best.

BBZ8800

in 2011 we were 1 game away from winning the treble .next year we just won CDR and in the 3 years between 2011-2012 and 2013-2014 we won only Liga and CDR total because the sporting directo genius beieved we had good squad that doesn't need many signings .

That's because in 2011-2012 we signed 2012's Pogba.

I mean, Fabregas ;)

Look, we all know that we can't sit and not doing anything.
But changing a treble winning team can go into 2 directions:
1) buying someone like Pogba and being even more superior in the future
2) buying Pogba and turning into Barca in 2012 with Cesc, Barca with Zlatan, or into "improved" Bayern with Pep etc

There IS a chance that Pogba's transfer will turn out to be awesome.
But also, 100s of times a history has shown that you don't mess with a winning team.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Please. Pogba is nothing like Cesc.

If that's the case then Kova shouldn't be bought either on the pretense of not messing with a treble winning team.

BBZ8800

Please. Pogba is nothing like Cesc.

If that's the case then Kova shouldn't be bought either on the pretense of not messing with a treble winning team.

Cesc was bought and he "had" to play.
Pep was inventing new formations with 4 midfielders so that Cesc could play.

Kovacic has nothing to do with Cesc's episode.
Because again, there is not too much fuss around him, he is not that famous, he doesn't need to play in the starting 11, we didn't have numerous emotional summers trying to sign our baby Cesc etc.

If we would compare only Kovacic and Pogba, Pogba's saga, fame and everything is much closer to Cesc.
Kova is more like Mats or something like that, a player for the future who can be slowly integrated into a team, imo.

khaled_a_d

That's because in 2011-2012 we signed 2012's Pogba.

I mean, Fabregas ;)

Look, we all know that we can't sit and not doing anything.
But changing a treble winning team can go into 2 directions:
1) buying someone like Pogba and being even more superior in the future
2) buying Pogba and turning into Barca in 2012 with Cesc, Barca with Zlatan, or into "improved" Bayern with Pep etc

There IS a chance that Pogba's transfer will turn out to be awesome.
But also, 100s of times a history has shown that you don't mess with a winning team.

I am not going to argue Pogba ,this conversation has been dragged for too long and everyone already has made his opinion .you see him as next Cesc ,I see him as the best bet .we won't know until/if he joins
My whole argument is about all those "we don't need starting midfielder ,we will be ok with 32 Iniesta for the next few seasons"
Cesc was wrong choice and lead to Thiago leaving .but we needed someone to replace Xavi back in 2011 ,it wasn' wrong decision to sign someone back then .we just handled the situation badly

DonAK

Cesc was bought and he "had" to play.
Pep was inventing new formations with 4 midfielders so that Cesc could play.

Kovacic has nothing to do with Cesc's episode.
Because again, there is not too much fuss around him, he is not that famous, he doesn't need to play in the starting 11, we didn't have numerous emotional summers trying to sign our baby Cesc etc.

If we would compare only Kovacic and Pogba, Pogba's saga, fame and everything is much closer to Cesc.
Kova is more like Mats or something like that, a player for the future who can be slowly integrated into a team, imo.

No. For players integrated in the team we already have Samper, Rafinha and co. If we are to buy a midfielder then he should be one who can challenge for a starting position or be a starter.

Anyway, people don't like big money transfers as it was seen in Suarez' and Neymar's case. 'He won't fit in', 'Buhuuu why didn't we sign Reus', 'he cost too much, not worth it' etc.

You get the point. People are always like this(me included). Neither Neymar or Suarez were supposed to fit our way of play, but well......

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/12066-Would-you-sign-Luis-Suarez

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/10009-Should-we-sign-Neymar-this-summer

Not saying those who don't want Pogba don't have legit concerns, of course they do. I share a different opinion, but in the end everyone are entitled to whatever they think. Just pointing out how it works.

I personally have no qualms over paying big for a player who can don our shirt for the next decade and got the ceiling to be the best midfielder in the world or atleast among top 3. It's a short and long-term project as long as it's not an unecessary transfer, and a midfielder would not be an unecessary transfer.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
'He won't fit in' is another matter Donak. It's about fitting (shoving to be specific) Pogba in the starting eleven, not fitting him into the plan. Don't confuse these two.

DonAK

'He won't fit in' is another matter Donak. It's about fitting (shoving to be specific) Pogba in the starting eleven, not fitting him into the plan. Don't confuse these two.

I'd only sign Pogba if Lucho want to sign him and know how he'll sort these things out. I don't think he'll be shoved into the staring eleven like Florentino did so with Ancelotti and Bale. Lucho doesn't strike me as the guy who'd easily be forced into such things and would rather tell them to f off.

No one forced Pep to play Ibra when he benched him for Bojan.

That goes for any player btw. Pogba, Kovacic, Gundogan. But I want someone who can challenge for a starting position or start for us. Not a talent only. If Kova has a great season with Inter and truly cements his place then he should be an option.

Just explained how every big transfer is viewed with the same glasses by most people. Every guy who's supposed to cost much money is 'not fit for Barca style' and every low cost transfer is the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans