Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBZ8800

Soriano. Just get Soriano. Even if only for 6 months. A Henrik Larsson type.

Larsson had 7 world class seasons in Celtic before Barca.
And played in Feyenoord.

Soriano has 3 good Seasons in Salzburg.

Larsson played 100+ matches for Swedish NT (Numerous World cups and Euros. For example, 3rd place for Sweden at World cup back in 1994 in Usa).
Celtic played Uefa Cup final, with Larsson as a key player with 2 goals even in a final against Porto (2:3).

I don't have anything against Nolito and Soriano.
They could be awesome, but they don't have too much resemblances with King Henrik, except that they are both aged 30, forwards and good players who would be probably willing to accept a bench role.

For example:

They have very low experience on the highest level...

Last edited:

serghei

Exactly, comparing a striker like Larsson to Soriano is crazy. Soriano is a good back-up option for La Liga, sort of like Nolito. But as far as CL football is concerned, it's new teritory for him and he could easily crumble under that kind of pressure and intensity. Almost no experience in CL. The most important thing for a quality sub is experience. We have the Sylvinho example in 2009 (also the Larsson example from 2006). Almost retired, stepped in for Abidal on short notice and played a great game in Rome against United, in a CL final. Why? Because he had tons of experience and he wasn't nervous at all about playing in such a decisive game. We need someone who would stay on the bench because his best times are over him, but someone who could still provide the goods when the pressure is on, because he already did that in his career.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Larsson was great at Celtic but you cant call his seasons here 'world class'. The defender he was up against week in week out were fucking awful and other decent strikers have come to Celtic/Rangers and scored a lot of goals.

BBZ8800

Larsson was great at Celtic but you cant call his seasons here 'world class'. The defender he was up against week in week out were fucking awful and other decent strikers have come to Celtic/Rangers and scored a lot of goals.

Scottish league is better or in the worst case EQUAL to Austrian league.

Also, Larsson was a legend on NT level and in Euro cups.
But in all media, he was hyped as a guy who just can't stop scoring, no matter is it a Celtic, World cup, Euros or Uefa cup.
For example, his NT goals from big tournaments, he played from the age of 23 in Usa'94:

I mean, buying Larsson back then was a totally different story to Nolito or Soriano today...

JamDav1982

Scottish league is better or in the worst case EQUAL to Austrian league.

Also, Larsson was a legend on NT level and in Euro cups.
But in all media, he was hyped as a guy who just can't stop scoring, no matter is it a Celtic, World cup, Euros or Uefa cup.
For example, his NT goals from big tournaments, he played from the age of 23 in Usa'94:

I mean, buying Larsson back then was a totally different story to Nolito or Soriano today...

Of course it is different to buying Larrson but he did not have 'world class' seasons based on what he did at Celtic.

In a lot of ways he took the easy option and stayed there too long in his prime.

While he was good for the national team I dont think it was anything spectacular that a lot of other players have not matched that were never world class.

Loosely titles video that is!

The keeper saving the ball onto the bar and player knocking it in is not an assist and scoring in penalty shoot outs not really a goal.

BBZ8800

Of course it is different to buying Larrson but he did not have 'world class' seasons based on what he did at Celtic.

In a lot of ways he took the easy option and stayed there too long in his prime.

While he was good for the national team I dont think it was anything spectacular that a lot of other players have not matched that were never world class.

Loosely titles video that is!

The keeper saving the ball onto the bar and player knocking it in is not an assist and scoring in penalty shoot outs not really a goal.

Ok, but Larsson was loyal, he was that type of a guy.
Rich English clubs wanted to pay huge amounts for him since always, he didn't want to leave.

So, Man. Utd and English teams wanted him + Barcelona.
On the other hand, it is not exactly as if today Chelsea, City and other teams are fighting for a signature of Nolito and Soriano.

Larsson was a player with awesome goalscoring record, and back then, he would easily cost 40-50 Millions in the current prices.
He was maybe not as good as some of us claim that he was, but he was surely miles better than Nolito and Soriano.

JamDav1982

Ok, but Larsson was loyal, he was that type of a guy.
Rich English clubs wanted to pay huge amounts for him since always, he didn't want to leave.

So, Man. Utd and English teams wanted him + Barcelona.
On the other hand, it is not exactly as if today Chelsea, City and other teams are fighting for a signature of Nolito and Soriano.

Larsson was a player with awesome goalscoring record, and back then, he would easily cost 40-50 Millions in the current prices.
He was maybe not as good as some of us claim that he was, but he was surely miles better than Nolito and Soriano.

Its not about loyalty though it is about all top top players should want to test themselves at the top level in their prime and he didnt.

Had he left and gone to Man Utd etc no Celtic fans would accused him of lack of loyalty etc. It was the easy thing to do to stay and be the hero in Scotland where can bang in 30/40/50 goals a season.

Nothing to do with Nolito or Soriano he was miles better than they are but Larsson in his prime did not have any 'world class' seasons as he had it too easy in Scotland.

Great, great player mind you.

BBZ8800

Its not about loyalty though it is about all top top players should want to test themselves at the top level in their prime and he didnt.

Had he left and gone to Man Utd etc no Celtic fans would accused him of lack of loyalty etc. It was the easy thing to do to stay and be the hero in Scotland where can bang in 30/40/50 goals a season.

Nothing to do with Nolito or Soriano he was miles better than they are but Larsson in his prime did not have any 'world class' seasons as he had it too easy in Scotland.

Great, great player mind you.

Totti had offers from Real Madrid in early 2000's when Totti was one of top 5 players in the world and the best Italian player.
Real offered "gold" for him, and from 90% of people outside Italy, he should have accepted it, go to Real, "test" himself in the biggest club in the world in that era (CLs in 1998, 2000 and 2002').
Also, Milan was also offering 50+ Millions for him in those days.
That is easily 70-80-100 Millions today, like Neymar's or Suarez's price.

Totti said no.
He always said that he will never leave Roma, no matter how good/bad Roma will be.

He would probably had more successful career in Milan or Real.
In Roma he won 1 scudetto in 20 years, and that's it.

I want to say, I agree with you about some things which you said about Larsson (about staying in Celtic), but not all the people are the same.
Some will jump on every opportunity to play in a bigger club or to earn more money.
Some will stay loyal, even if that means less money, less titles, less flashy career.

You can't say with a 100% certainty that Larsson stayed in Celtic and picked an easier route.
Maybe he is "that" kind of a player who doesn't change clubs that easily.

And you know that he was like a God there.
God is even "too soft" phrase to express how fans adored him.

I know that you know, since you are from Scotland, but for other users, just listen to fans singing during a match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia00uVJqC3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_Yb8vZGqs

Again, sometimes money isn't everything.
Even though, people like him are extremely rare...

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Thats fair enough he can have all the adulation at Celtic in place of more money at Man Utd etc... but what he doesnt get for his time at Celtic is to be called world class.

The best players want to test themselves at highest level in their prime. That to me is more admirable than staying at Celtic for less money but each to their own i suppose.

Totti played in one of best leagues in Europe cant compare that to Scotland. People can legitimately judge his performances on what he did in that league.

Say Suarez had decided to stay at Ajax for less money but complete adulation of fans would that be admirable? Not to me.

Would Neymar staying in Brazil be admired? It would be seen as taking the easy option and lack of ambition.

Last edited:
J

Jamie Cal

You've missed the point why I brought him up. (also "world class seasons" -- man, it was the SPL :lol: higher-standard then, but still. )

Henrik was, what, 32/33 when he signed for us. His best days were gone. He was a reliable outlet we could bring in and do a job, and that he did. As he did at United too.

That's literally all we want in a forward -- a guy who knows his place and will be reliable when we want him. Soriano is exactly that.

Soriano is a good back-up option for La Liga

Uhm....yes....but...that's what we're after?

serghei

Uhm....yes....but...that's what we're after?

IMO, no. What we are after is a striker that could perform great in a CL quarterfinal for example, if he is in a position to play (Suarez is suspended or injured). That's not something I would trust Soriano to do, since he would practically be a novice at that level.

J

Jamie Cal

IMO, no. What we are after is a striker that could perform great in a CL quarterfinal for example, if he is in a position to play (Suarez is suspended or injured). That's not something I would trust Soriano to do, since he would practically be a novice at that level.

That's a bit unfair. As I recall, Henrik only broke 5 goals in Europe once/twice at Celtic, and that was the year they reached the UEFA Cup Final (robbed that game). Soriano hit 12 in 11 games 2 seasons back, and last season 8 in 12.

And again, it's about knowing your role. There isn't a great deal of players we can bring in that are 1/ Available (and at the right cost) 2/ Fit in at Barca (a big one imo, not big on us buying subs) 3/ at the right age. Soriano fits all 3 of those like a glove and would obviously love to be here.

serghei

That's a bit unfair. As I recall, Henrik only broke 5 goals in Europe once/twice at Celtic, and that was the year they reached the UEFA Cup Final (robbed that game). Soriano hit 12 in 11 games 2 seasons back, and last season 8 in 12.

Do not compare Larsson with Soriano. Some stats might create the illusion that they are close in value, but it's really a gulf in class between them.

J

Jamie Cal

Do not compare Larsson with Soriano. Some stats might create the illusion that they are close in value, but it's really a gulf in class between them.

Stop the like-hunting.

Obviously Larsson in his prime was better than Soriano. I never once said he wasn't.

You glossed over everything I said, I'm done having a rational discussion in your direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans