Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

Laporte has the goods. It's time for him to step up. 50m is not that much today. He's the best option there is. No one is younger and better than him imo.

What we should look for is Laporte, Marquinhos, Gimenez type of options. All of these players are expensive, because of their age and huge potential. Neither is world beater now, but to get that sort of talent you need to pay up or shut up.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Laporte has the goods. It's time for him to step up. 50m is not that much today. He's the best option there is. No one is younger and better than him imo.

What we should look for is Laporte, Marquinhos, Gimenez type of options. All of these players are expensive, because of their age and huge potential. Neither is world beater now, but to get that sort of talent you need to pay up or shut up.

Giminez, Marquinhos and Stones have all looked better than Laporte to me.

Not even a huge difference to Barta whereas those other players are a bigger step up from.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Speaking about CBs, I saw on MD couple of times that we are also interested in Jeison Murillo (23 years of old) from Inter, not sure about his qualities, although since Montoya plays there and Braida constantly scouting Seria A, there might be something there.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Gimenez plays for a much more defensive stable team and have also made some individual faults for which Laporte is slated for here, whereas he, Marquinhos and Stones seem to be given a free pass.

The Athletic Bilbao fanbase praise his performances while all I hear here at Barcaforum is how bad he is and how he's been average for a long time. Obviously watching him play once in a blue moon is enough to judge him.

JamDav1982

Speaking about CBs, I saw on MD couple of times that we are also interested in Jeison Murillo (23 years of old) from Inter, not sure about his qualities, although since Montoya plays there and Braida constantly scouting Seria A, there might be something there.

Should have scouted him in Spain if he is good enough!

Not seen enough of him at Inter at all to pass comment but was decent at Granada but didnt look Barca standard.

serghei

Gimenez plays for a much more defensive stable team and have also made some individual faults for which Laporte is slated for here, whereas he, Marquinhos and Stones seem to be given a free pass.

Agreed. When you look at their age, you see why. All 21 years of age or under. You don't take Laporte to be you star defender right now. You take him at 21 to build a world class CB out of him at 23-24, than play him for 6-7 years or more.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Agreed. When you look at their age, you see why. All 21 years of age or under. You don't take Laporte to be you star defender right now. You take him at 21 to build a world class CB out of him at 23-24, than play him for 6-7 years or more.

Indeed. He is a gamble, I won't dispute that, but if it was upto me, I'd take that gamble.

As for whether he's been good or bad, it's better to read about it here: http://www.aupaathletic.com/foros/temas.asp?pag=1&id=2 (Use google translate)

Or try to read reports from the media about the games he's played rather than listening to twitter analysts who use whoscored.com's ratings without having seen the player actually kick the ball.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Spend entire budget on a backup CB? We can't afford that.
Mascherano is still class and will be for at least a season or two. In fact, I see him lasting well into his 30s.

serghei

Indeed. He is a gamble, I won't dispute that, but if it was upto me, I'd take that gamble.

As for whether he's been good or bad, it's better to read about it here: http://www.aupaathletic.com/foros/temas.asp?pag=1&id=2 (Use google translate)

Or try to read reports from the media about the games he's played rather than listening to twitter analysts who use whoscored.com's ratings without having seen the player actually kick the ball.

You can't not take the gambles these days, especially in CB. No world class CB transfers have been made in years. Tell me the last high-profile CB transfer in Europe. I don't remember one. If you look at offence, there are many of those. Neymar, Suarez, Alexis, Bale, James, Di Maria, Cavani etc. With CBs, only thing that's on the market is two type sof players. Young with great potential and very expensive, or young with some potential, a bit less expensive, but also less likely to make it at a club like Barca (the kind of wild bet that Pep tried to pull off with Chykrisnkyi and failed massively).

JamDav1982

The Athletic Bilbao fanbase praise his performances while all I hear here at Barcaforum is how bad he is and how he's been average for a long time. Obviously watching him play once in a blue moon is enough to judge him.

How do you rate him?

JamDav1982

I have watched him plenty and have watched him live. My opinion is he is very very rash but has all the tools to become world class but its not definite that he will.

I dont think he gets in the Barca starting line up at present but wouldnt be gutted if Barca sign him. If anything I think the people who keep trumpeting the name are the ones who dont watch him as much.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Hummels contract expires in year and a half.
He could be available for a reasonable fee.

Laporte is neither available nor good enough.

serghei

Spend entire budget on a backup CB? We can't afford that.
Mascherano is still class and will be for at least a season or two. In fact, I see him lasting well into his 30s.

I rate Mascherano. You still need a top CB signing to implement in the team for 2017-18 season as a starter. Start with him as a rotational squad player with important minutes but not starting role in 2016-17, and make him a starter in 2017-18. That's the way imo. Unless you think Mascherano will be performing at a high level at 33-34. I don't think that.

If you wait for Mascherano to decline massively, you're gonna be in a position to need a proven world class defender. And those are not for sale because they are very rare.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Mascherano hasn't showed any signes of declining and you already talking about "declining massively".
And yeah, I do expect Mascherano to perform great until 34 easily. Just like Puyol did and would even longer if there weren't for injuries.
Mascherano is made of similar mould as our captain was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans