Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mssarm

Sorry, what?

Xavi aged 18-19:
"His progression through the teams earned him a first-team appearance in a Copa Catalunya match against Lleida on 5 May 1998[18] and he scored his first goal on 18 August 1998 in the Super Cup final against RCD Mallorca. His début in La Liga came against Valencia CF on 3 October 1998 in a 3–1 victory for Barcelona. Initially featuring intermittently both for the reserve and senior teams, Xavi scored the only goal in a 1–0 victory over Real Valladolid when Barcelona were 10th in the league. Sustained impressive performance meant that he became a key member of Louis van Gaal's title-winning team. Xavi finished his debut season with 26 matches played and winning the Spanish League. He also was named 1999 La Liga Breakthrough Player of the Year. Xavi became Barcelona's principal playmaker after an injury to Pep Guardiola in the 1999–2000 season."

By the age of 22, Xavi already had 152 matches played for Barca's Ateam in La liga, Cdr and Champions league.
Ok, some will say that he played then to some extent because Barca needed Catalan players.

Further, to some extent, it is not fair to say that Suarez will be a squad/bench player at Barca, but everything indicates that.
Ok, he may improve and explode, you never know.

But on the other hand, comparing Denis with Xavi is also insane, imo.

I have watched young Xavi from his first steps in Ateam, and even though he was far from the prime Xavi, it was clear that this guy "has it".
He was something special, and with Rivaldo and Luis Enrique, he was my favorite player in those years, no matter how young he was.

On the other hand, comparing Roberto, Rafinha and Denis with Xavi, Iniesta and similar is imo, just a desperation.
We need new Cms, La Masia isn't producing such talents anymore and now people are hoping that current (mostly mediocre players) may explode and magically turn into a next Xavi.

Xavi has been hailed from his early steps in Ateam steps in Ateam as a special player.
Denis is just a wishful thinking from our forum.

Further, some users act on this forum as if Roberto, Rafinha and Denis are kids.
Roberto is 24, Rafinha is 23 and Denis 22.

If someone wants to compare them with young Iniesta and if someone actually thinks that they can reach a level (or a similar level) of Xavi/Iniesta, this is how a 22-years old Iniesta played:

I remember all those matches from 2006 in La liga and a CL when Iniesta was 22, and yes, he was far from the current Iniesta.
But also, he was miles and miles better in everything than Roberto, Rafinha and Denis.

So, on one hand, it is fine to hope that our youngsters may turn into something eventually, but we shouldn't be deluded and totally blind and biased.

One more time, sorry if my post was offensive, but for me it is a total blasphemy to compare Xavi and Denis in the same sentence in this manner.
18 years old Xavi:

Compare this guy to our current La Masia "talents" when they play some cup matches for Barca.

Plus, young Iniesta, for example was a key player in all youth Spanish NT teams, and one of the best players of tournaments.
While Denis played for youth NT teams, but mostly as a sub.
So, even here you can see that Xavi or Iniesta were always key players on all levels, while Roberto, Denis and Rafinha are far from it on youth NT levels and in a current Barca's setup.
That can't be a coincidence.

Nice copy and paste from Wikipedia. But you forgot to copy and paste the next paragraph:
"In these years FC Barcelona was on the verge of bankruptcy and struggling to keep its place in La Liga's elite. Playing in the midfield, but with more defensive role, Xavi made 20 assists and scored 7 goals in those two seasons. On 16 March 2002, Xavi scored his first goal in El Clásico".
Barca was on verge of bankruptcy and they could barely afford decent players so they were playing whoever they had available.Yeah ..and Guardiola got injured...2002/2003 Barca was in 6th place in La Liga, Xavi scored 3. 2015/2016 Villarreal was in 4th place and Dennis scored 4. Nothing against genius of Xavi and I'm not even thinking to compare Dennis to Xavi, but pretty tired of fans in this forum who can "spot" the talent from mediocrity right away, when it is real challenge even for professionals who dedicate their life to football and those are people who make their living by finding players for the teams. How many examples we know of the scouts and coaches making wrong decisions on players. How many games did Pogba start under Ferguson?
By the way I never mentioned Iniesta's name, please don't exaggerate.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

If comparing Denis to Xavi is total blasphemy, than so should comparing Koke to Xavi as well.

Like I kinda agree with BBZ's point but it's really important to consider that Iniesta and Xavi are by far Spain's greatest MFs of all time while botb are arguably the greatest MF of all time. I'm not saying Denis is as good as Iniesta (the better comparison based on playing style) but it's completely absurd to state that he will not have an impact here before he has even played a single minute for the club. Like I'd even understand it if he was mediocre or poor this season, but Denis was by far one of Villareal's brightest players all season.

With Rafinha, i don't get what you guys are seeing but he made some big improvements in his game before he got injured and I was really liking what I was seeing from his game. I'd prefer another CM as well (O.Torres, Bazoer/Tielemans, Verratti) but I don't see why everyone here on the forum has written off Rafinha's, Denis' and particularly Roberto's future here. Anyone remember that Zidane like back heel assist Sergi had this season? That and his performance against Real alone sold me on his future here, AS A MIDFIELDER.

Like I know we only won a double this year, that's all, but don't let that turn into over-cynicism. If its not realistic to assume these players will blossom into prime Xavis and Iniestas then it's equally as unrealistic to assume a player will be our next Alex Song before he's even had a fucking training session with the team.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Barcelona will sign only one centre back this summer. They won't sign both Lyon's Samuel Umititi and Las Palmas' Mauricio Lemos . [rac1]

Butaan4barca

The level is pretty high here. Every Potential first team player is expected to best in history. Like having best in history level players in the first time is the only way this team is going forward with. Denis is compared with xavi, iniesta. Bellerin with dani alvez.

What next, is umtiti maldini's level ? what a crap potential signing.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Barcelona will sign only one centre back this summer. They won't sign both Lyon's Samuel Umititi and Las Palmas' Mauricio Lemos . [rac1]

It's coming very along very nicely.

Got a theory(we're waiting for a certain CB) on why we're signing only Umtiti and that depends on Mascherano staying another season which he will.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It's coming very along very nicely.

Got a theory(we're waiting for a certain CB) on why we're signing only Umtiti and that depends on Mascherano staying another season which he will.

Well don't leave us hanging. What's your theory?

SeloBarca

With Rafinha, i don't get what you guys are seeing but he made some big improvements in his game before he got injured and I was really liking what I was seeing from his game. I'd prefer another CM as well (O.Torres, Bazoer/Tielemans, Verratti) but I don't see why everyone here on the forum has written off Rafinha's, Denis' and particularly Roberto's future here. Anyone remember that Zidane like back heel assist Sergi had this season? That and his performance against Real alone sold me on his future here, AS A MIDFIELDER.
Rafinha is unable to control a game. In every game he didnt play alongside Iniesta, he was completly invisible, and even then he was only good 1/10 times.
But people forget very quickly when a player plays good once.
Hes not as good as Roberto, and even Roberto is doubtful as a midfielder.
Denis is marginaly better than Munir and Sandro in attack, not better than Roberto i mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans