Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Luiz would do very well with our high line style. He's better than Mascherano and has solid technique, both on the ball and in the tackle. His problem with positioning at Chelsea has more to do with them sitting deeper than his deficiencies. He is aggressive and needs to play in a style that enables him to be proactive, not reactive. Plus having him would allow us to play Bartra as a defensive fullback as well. Bartra-Luiz-Pique-Alba wouldn't be bad at all.

And as we saw in the Confed Cup Final 2013, Luiz can turn his defensive game on when it really matters. Dat goaline save though. :worthy:

That said, I'd still prefer Benatia because, in my opinion, it'd be easier to negotiate with Roma than with Chelsea. And Benatia has shown to be the better defender this season.

Last edited:

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
and needs to play in a style that enables him to be proactive, not reactive.

What exactly do you mean by this? It seems to me that a defender needs to react the same amount, if not more in a high-line defense.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Proactive as in, if the pressure is being applied correctly by the forward players, he can anticipate and intercept any long passes in his area. His aerial presence will take away the long ball into the defending third, so he will mainly be pressing and attacking the ball higher up the pitch or containing his marker either in the box or in a one-on-one out wide.

In other words the higher line forces the CBs to anticipate and either a) intercept the ball or b) press the man on the ball. It demands a much more proactive apporach to defending than sitting deep, letting the play come to you and reacting to the opponents attacks.

Luiz's best qualities are well suited to how we need our CBs to play and his speed, athleticism and strength can help us recover if we are ever stretched. He's pretty good at last-ditch tackles. Plus, Puyol will show him the ropes.

Last edited:

BarçAjax8

Why Oliver Torres when we have Rafinha who is playing ridiculously well for Celta and has been Celta's best player of the season so far. Oli is awesome, but physically he just isn't there yet. Plus he has to improve his off ball movement and most importantly he has to play minutes. In his last two years he got only 450 minutes of playing time in LaLiga and a season before 700+ minutes in SD Grupo 1. Meanwhile Rafinha played almost 7000 minutes in Segunda and this year he played 1500+ in Primera. What I want to say is that Rafinha is ready to play in a club like FCB. Oli often didn't even make the squad for Atleti and for that reason he was loaned out. There is a great possibility he will stay at Villarreal for another season.

I agree about Rafinha 100%
He has been they're best player and he's playing the Xavi role as well. The great thing is he has his own style where he is able to take on players and put in a great pass and fire on target from outside the box. When he returns from loan and works with Xavi I think he'll be a big player for us in the future.

Barcilliant

Y not take a punt on vidic for free he could b a good defensive solution for a few seasons

Dude, no please NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Vidic is damaged goods. Very good at his peak but finished now.

We need someone who is world class and is a starting CB. Benatia would be number one, Luiz two. Break the bank for Benatia. 30 million would be money well spent.

abual3bed1

Vidic is just a worse version of the current Puyol. Injured mostly all season plus bad marking and ball playing skills (right now, he used to be a beast no doubt about that). The only good he has now is the aerial abilities.

Zincubus

Banned
This might be a bit of a lengthy post so I apologize in advance.

As many of you are surely aware of, this team is unfortunately stuck in-between conflicting ideologies. There are certain things our style of football will always be synonymous with: attack oriented with a high emphasis on technique and possession. We should always be the innovators, the standard for how offensive football is played and the threads of totaalvoetbal should always be apparent in how we play. So this whole debate on whether we should play tiki-taka or more direct doesn't make a lot of sense to me, we will always look to dominate teams with our possession and still look to do so. Even in all our losses this season, we still held a lion's share of the possession in-between 63-68%. Point being, just because at times we sit deeper and can score on the break doesn't mean we are changing our style completely, it shows that we are evolving, something that Tata is directly responsible for and I think it is a good thing.

With this in mind, when it comes to transfers and the squad, it is of utmost importance that whoever come into team can play our brand of football. Ibrahimovic, case and point, is imho the second best player in the world behind Messi. He oozes raw class and genius, and can literally score from anywhere in the attacking third. But even he couldn't play total football, and it showcases how hard it is mentally to play our style. Its why Song will never truly succeed here.

So all of these names people seem to constantly throw out like Lukaku, Gundogan, Vidal, Kroos, Cardozo (lol wut?) are simply not feasible transfers. Its not because these players are poor by any means or don't have qualities that are admirable, its because there style of play is too different to how we play. That's why it took Sanchez so long to figure out how to play in the team.

The sad truth that we have to keep in mind is that Pep's template is dying. The era when that worked is vastly different to the football era we are in now, particularly in regards to how teams approach playing us. While we can still put up close to 30-40 passes to finish an attacking move, the regularity of how often that is successful is much lower than it was in 2009. Thus this season, Tata has expanded our attacking scheme to include the occasional long diagonal ball, the quick counter attacks and the crosses. Its just the natural evolution of how to overcome these buses we pass around night in and night out.

Its for this reason I think it is really important that we slowly start to push Xavi out of the squad after the WC this year. Brazil 2014 will be Xavi's and possibly Iniesta's swansong so after that, we should really try to pass the torch on to our younger MFs like Cesc, Rafa, Sergi and Samper. We should be building the team around Cesc, Neymar, Pique, Messi and Busi. They will be the leaders of the club in the foreseeable future so much like Pep centered the setup of the team around Xavi, Iniesta and Messi with who he brought in, Tata absolutely should find players who will mesh well with those aforementioned players.

So with all of that in mind, here would be my strategy for next season if I was Tata...

.....I'd break the banks and get Saurez from Liverpool in the Summer .

Alarcón

So all of these names people seem to constantly throw out like Lukaku, Gundogan, Vidal, Kroos, Cardozo (lol wut?) are simply not feasible transfers. Its not because these players are poor by any means or don't have qualities that are admirable, its because there style of play is too different to how we play. That's why it took Sanchez so long to figure out how to play in the team.

You make a wrong conclusion in that you think that a) the style of play of a team directly equates the style of play of a player in that particular team and b) players who play in a team with a different style couldn't adapt. It doesn't matter whether players are part of a counter-attacking or possession-based team, they only need some basic abilities like first touch, decision-making and game intelligence (and, of course, a lot of talent) and they'll have no problems adapting. So, assuming that players like Gündogan or Kroos wouldn't be able to play at Barça is laughable. You make it look like our cantera teaches magic and only canteranos can play and succeed here, which is simply not true. Look at Villa or Neymar, they played very differently before they joined us but they were able to adapt because they had everything that was required. The thing with Sánchez is that, while he is a player with outstanding talent, he lacks many abilities that are basic for our other players, and that's the reason he still looks out of sync with the rest of the team at times.

i_bleed_blaugrana

You make a wrong conclusion in that you think that a) the style of play of a team directly equates the style of play of a player in that particular team and b) players who play in a team with a different style couldn't adapt. It doesn't matter whether players are part of a counter-attacking or possession-based team, they only need some basic abilities like first touch, decision-making and game intelligence (and, of course, a lot of talent) and they'll have no problems adapting. So, assuming that players like Gündogan or Kroos wouldn't be able to play at Barça is laughable. You make it look like our cantera teaches magic and only canteranos can play and succeed here, which is simply not true. Look at Villa or Neymar, they played very differently before they joined us but they were able to adapt because they had everything that was required. The thing with Sánchez is that, while he is a player with outstanding talent, he lacks many abilities that are basic for our other players, and that's the reason he still looks out of sync with the rest of the team at times.

I mentioned Ibrahimovic earlier in the post, as he has all of the qualities you said which was all that was needed to succeed here and how did he turn out? :pep:

Particularly for finding someone to play the Xavi role, as Gundogan and Kroos would surely try to fill, they have to possess immaculate field awareness and perfect positioning, its a must. In other words, their football IQ needs to be higher than most. Especially with tiki-taka, you look at Bayern right now and Pep has them organized perfectly. Their triangles both in offense and defense are always intact and that takes tremendous tactical discipline, concentration and awareness from all 11 men. It's something that is lacking in our game and its the reason why we get stale in possession at times.

Point being, I'm not saying they wouldn't be able to play at a team like ours nor am I saying no one else but our canteranos can play tiki-taka. What I am saying is that it is simply more logical to try our canteranos in those positions first before we waste money on a player we won't need. Especially in MF, we need a player who can dictate and dominate possession at times but also use a more direct approach with a deep run or an incisive pass. There aren't a lot of MFs who can do both and it just so happens that we hold a decent portion of the ones who can. Like particularly with Kroos and Gundogan, so we should sign a player that is being benched by a player who left because he couldn't get enough time here? Kroos should go to UTD before us. Gundogan reminds me a lot of Sahin and I'm afraid if we signed him, his experience would be similar. Not enough consistent time for him to find form and get acclimated, he'll get frustrated and leave.

We need more complete MFs that Gundogan and Kroos because at times they are one-dimensional and it just doesn't make sense to sign players like these when we have Rafinha Alcantara coming back to us in the summer. He is ready and having a player of his invention and energy in MF would blow the roof off of this team.

dlx3

David Luiz is poor at CB. That is a fact. Watch Chelsea and you will see it. Even Mou rearly plays him as a CB. Last time he did, against West Brom he did very poorly. He starded only 10 games as a CB this season. He performs as DM much better.

We should IMO go all in for Benatia.

F

forcabarca

David Luiz is poor at CB. That is a fact. Watch Chelsea and you will see it. Even Mou rearly plays him as a CB. Last time he did, against West Brom he did very poorly. He starded only 10 games as a CB this season. He performs as DM much better.

We should IMO go all in for Benatia.

This.
Benatia is way better than D Luiz as a center back.

Sent from my Nexus 4

F

forcabarca

He's been performing consistently well, every player has a one off day.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans