Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBarcaBoy

hope Iniesta is okay because he seems to be getting back to his awesome best, agree about Neymar and Biscuits, Cesc needs to impose himself more on games.

Cule4life

The Culest
Test drunk typing this.

I never believed Cesc was ideal for us. He is good for epl sides. Here he has to control tempo of the game which he can't do. He has very less awareness in tight spaces and under high pressing. He has good vision to pick out the final pass but thats not enough for us. I would rather have Thiago. Get Gundogan. Use him as backup for iniesta though I would rather sell him to Moyes but that will never happen

My sober self approves this

Cule4life

The Culest
This is one of Barca's problems, they never make necesary changes and cling too long on players that are past their best.
Sure Pinto is a capable guy and the players like him but is it smart to have a 39 year old next season as a back up for new goalie Ter Stegen, current situation is bad enough as it is. Atleast make him third goalie or keeper trainer.
You just know we will be playing Xavi at amf till he is 42 stubbornly refusing to make needed changes out of loyalty and nostalgia.

Amen bro. This is the thing I hate most about our club

i_bleed_blaugrana

I won't say I'll be unhappy if Gundogan comes but I will say a) his injury prone nature makes him a big risk as a long term option and b) I'll still think a Barça DNA midfielder should be tried before we go abroad.

Not sure what people are saying about our MF lacking depth and woefully declining. The only difference from the past is that Xavi isn't quite as mobile because we played him into the ground. Cesc cause easily make that role his own, he has everything needed to adapt into the role as long as he has continuity there so he can define his game from that position.

Also, as I've said prior, I think Rafinha shows just as much potential if not more than Gundogan to be our next MF general. Again, he has all the technique and passing skills necessary plus he is much more explosive off the dribble, mobile and can make excellent runs beating 2-4 players with some flair that is very easy on the eye. He can do everything I saw Gundogan do in that video, only reason why you don't see more videos of him because he's so clearly on a different than the rest of Celta. With how he is progressing this season, he would have a field day with players of our team's quality.

I think if anything, Gundogan should be replacing Song, not Xavi or Cesc. But for my money, it makes a lot more sense and seems like a much safer option to go for a younger and exponentially cheaper Rafinha, who already knows the system, than gamble on an injury prone Gundogan who might not fit into the squad as well as people think. Gundogan seems like a much bigger gamble to me and especially if we can only get 1 MF, Rafinha makes the most sense.

Neymessi

Keep Cesc, rotate with Iniesta in the advance midfield role. Get Gundogan, rotate with Xavi in the deep lying playmaker role. It isn't rocket science.

Iniesta and cesc are both too good for one of them to be on the bench.
And the video you posted is gundogan giving through passes to running players by remaining static.This attribute is the strongest point of cesc.

If stats are anything to go by then Xavi wouldn't play a single game and Iniesta would lose his starting spot as well

I knew a "Stats don't tell the whole story" argument was coming up.You have to be a really good player in midfield to fit in the criteria of "stats don't tell the story".This guy has the highest assists in europe and only class midfielders like xavi,iniesta,silva may replace him with their lower stats,not gundogan though.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Chel$ki have 41 year old Mark Schwarzer as their No.2.
Admittedly, Pinto IS past his best, however he knows the clubs style and it would probably be a bonus for the new recruit ter Stegen, to have someone here with his experience to help guide through his first season.

When I said depth, I really meant numbers. I prefer a small squad. The only position we have real depth in are on the Wings, and possibly Defensive Midfield if you include Song & Mascherano.

But regarding your take on our "midfield deterioration" -which I don't believe is due to the personnel, but rather the tactics Tata has imposed on the team to the detriment of our midfielders. The instruction whenever we recover the ball in our half to immediately look to hit the point man is what's caused us so many problems this season, and it's only now (fingers-crossed) that Tata is starting to realise this tactic is not playing to our strengths. Xavi, nor Iniesta, nor Fabregas are box-to-box midfielders, yet they are being asked to play as such. It's one of the main reasons why the possession stats are so low and we have not had the control in midfield we are used to seeing.

Xavi - Even at 34 years old is STILL one of the best orchestrators of a Midfield around.
Iniesta - Would get into ANY teams starting XI. I include Bayern.
Fabregas - He would get into MOST teams in the world. One of the best attacking/creative Midfielders around.
Busquets - A World-Class Defensive Midfielder.
Song - He's not Barca regular starter material, but still a capable back-up and was a key player in the Arsenal Midfield that saw them finish Top Four every season.
Roberto - Not everyones cup-of-tea, but he's still young and developing. Definitely good enough to play against 60% of La Liga teams with 2 of the other first-choice Midfield alongside him.

Okay, so we don't have huge depth throughout our squad like Real Madrid and Chel$ki. I'll ask you a rhetorical question: :question: Who out of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chel$ki & Man City has the Strongest Squad?

The answer is Barcelona. That's because WE have the strongest team, and that First XI counts towards your squad. So when you say "Our Midfield has deteriorated significantly", bear in mind where our team sits right now and all with a leaky defence. :tea:

Firstly, to blame Martino for the midfield shortcomings is beyond crazy. The signs of the decline have been there for a few years now. The changes Martino has installed, the counter ball, the direct attacks, the long balls, and yes even adding a fourth midfielder sacrificing a forward in big games, they have all been done out of necessity to help out a midfield who no longer has the key to unlock any and all problems. I also don't know where you're getting the midfielders are being asked to play box-to-box. Looking to quickly hit the point man does not make a midfielder a box-to-box midfielder. The team has not had the same control of the midfield simply because the midfield is not as dominant as it used to be.

Secondly, winning and good results do not erase the problems, they just simply put make-up on them. The team is still able to get result because it has class players with pedigree who can still reach down and show their class when absolutely needed. It is not sustainable, and it is not a long term solution.

Xavi can still play his game, but not as consistent as before, not as regular as before, and certainly not at the same level as before.
Fabregas is a very talented footballer, but he is not a consistent footballer. He is very capable of giving wonderful performances, followed by poor ones the very next game.
Iniesta is awesome, but if he has one flaw, it is his durability. You can almost pencil down an injury or other per season for Iniesta.
Busquets is also awesome, but he has had a poor season by his standards. Barcelona's poor depth has left the team no options to rotate Busquets.

Song is not a Barcelona quality player. Not even for depth. He is not good enough. Can he play against bottom feeders and be adequate, yes, but you don't have depth to play the bottom feeders. You have depth to prevent injuries and bad form from affecting the club's overall efficiency and performance. When Busquets was at his lowest point of the season, Barcelona had to keep him on the field even at the detriment of the team, simply because the alternative of Song was worse.

Ditto with Roberto. He just brings nothing at this point.

Just a few weeks ago, the team was not in a good spot. Good results lately on the shoulders of Messi and Iniesta have improved the situation, but it would be foolish to believe the problems are solved. The need of the team to sacrifice a forward for a midfielder in big games in order to reach the same midfield dominance it had 3-4 years ago with only 3 midfielders, is more than enough evidence to support the decline of the midfield.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Iniesta and cesc are both too good for one of them to be on the bench.
And the video you posted is gundogan giving through passes to running players by remaining static.This attribute is the strongest point of cesc.

That's how you create true depth. Keeping good players on the bench and rotating them. Having a huge gap between your first team players and your bench players is not having depth.

Cesc is capable of playing those passes, but he does not have the mobility, awareness and defensive contribution required from that spot. He is much better in a more forward role, and should not be pigeonholed into a less effective position when there are players to be had who can perform it better.

People need to keep in mind that part of why Gundogan's been injured so much this season is partly because of the intensity with which Klopp has Dortmund play, and the lack of depth (and therefore rotation) at Dortmund. It's not a coincidence that so many Dortmund players have gotten injured this season. I'm not saying that getting Gundogan is entirely risk-free (and personally I'd rather go for Kroos), but IMO he'll get injured a hell of a lot less with us if we get him.

I

instinct

People need to keep in mind that part of why Gundogan's been injured so much this season is partly because of the intensity with which Klopp has Dortmund play, and the lack of depth (and therefore rotation) at Dortmund. It's not a coincidence that so many Dortmund players have gotten injured this season. I'm not saying that getting Gundogan is entirely risk-free, but IMO he'll get injured a hell of a lot less with us if we get him.

It's not even sure if he will ever be able to play football again. Getting him would be much too risky though he is a very good player.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
About the injury proneness of Gundogan: he isn't injurt prone (like Robben, for instance), he simply has a serious injury. Still a risk, but very different in nature.

DinhoR10

I won't say I'll be unhappy if Gundogan comes but I will say a) his injury prone nature makes him a big risk as a long term option and b) I'll still think a Barça DNA midfielder should be tried before we go abroad.

Not sure what people are saying about our MF lacking depth and woefully declining. The only difference from the past is that Xavi isn't quite as mobile because we played him into the ground. Cesc cause easily make that role his own, he has everything needed to adapt into the role as long as he has continuity there so he can define his game from that position.

Also, as I've said prior, I think Rafinha shows just as much potential if not more than Gundogan to be our next MF general. Again, he has all the technique and passing skills necessary plus he is much more explosive off the dribble, mobile and can make excellent runs beating 2-4 players with some flair that is very easy on the eye. He can do everything I saw Gundogan do in that video, only reason why you don't see more videos of him because he's so clearly on a different than the rest of Celta. With how he is progressing this season, he would have a field day with players of our team's quality.

I think if anything, Gundogan should be replacing Song, not Xavi or Cesc. But for my money, it makes a lot more sense and seems like a much safer option to go for a younger and exponentially cheaper Rafinha, who already knows the system, than gamble on an injury prone Gundogan who might not fit into the squad as well as people think. Gundogan seems like a much bigger gamble to me and especially if we can only get 1 MF, Rafinha makes the most sense.

If we sell Song and Masch and Buy gundogan he can be our starting cm and rotate as the sweeper with busi sometimes and have rafinha play some games as well and save xavi basically for all the big games.

ceefoo

Gundogan seems like a much bigger gamble to me and especially if we can only get 1 MF, Rafinha makes the most sense.
I agree. Trust in La Masia. :004:

Firstly, to blame Martino for the midfield shortcomings is beyond crazy. The signs of the decline have been there for a few years now. The changes Martino has installed, the counter ball, the direct attacks, the long balls, and yes even adding a fourth midfielder sacrificing a forward in big games, they have all been done out of necessity to help out a midfield who no longer has the key to unlock any and all problems.

Just a few weeks ago, the team was not in a good spot. Good results lately on the shoulders of Messi and Iniesta have improved the situation, but it would be foolish to believe the problems are solved. The need of the team to sacrifice a forward for a midfielder in big games in order to reach the same midfield dominance it had 3-4 years ago with only 3 midfielders, is more than enough evidence to support the decline of the midfield.
Tata isn't playing 4 midfielders against the Top teams for strictly tactical reasons. He does it because he is trying to shoehorn all the biggest names into the team. Proof of this being out-of-form Neymar starting the Clasico over in-form Pedro.

And YES, our "Midfield decline" is a direct result of Tata's tactics and how he has used the squad. It's true that when you have a small squad as we do, the Manager HAS to use it wisely and rotate when necessary and appropriate. The evidence was there last season, when Tito flogged the same players to death for 2/3's of the season and the players were burnt out by March.

I agree that Tata did need to introduce an alternative to our play, but he has gone too far with the long diagonal-balls and lost sight of what has brought Barca unprecedented success; Tiki-Taka.

I also don't know where you're getting the midfielders are being asked to play box-to-box. Looking to quickly hit the point man does not make a midfielder a box-to-box midfielder. The team has not had the same control of the midfield simply because the midfield is not as dominant as it used to be.
They are having to perform box-to-box duties because when the ball is won in our half and a long pass is played to the forward, the midfield are expected to get forward and support the attack. Should that attack break down (the forward should lose the ball deep in the opponents half), the Midfielders then have to track all the way back to prevent from being hit on the counter. And should Barca win the ball back, the cycle continues.

I am not against us going direct at times but we have to choose our moments. And not hit brainless long-balls 10-20 times a game, as I've seen in some matches this season (games we failed to win btw). Moving up as a cohesive unit, and allowing our Midfielders to dictate play rather than force it, as they do best, instead of the chaotic system under Tata.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Tata isn't playing 4 midfielders against the Top teams for strictly tactical reasons. He does it because he is trying to shoehorn all the biggest names into the team. Proof of this being out-of-form Neymar starting the Clasico over in-form Pedro.

And YES, our "Midfield decline" is a direct result of Tata's tactics and how he has used the squad. It's true that when you have a small squad as we do, the Manager HAS to use it wisely and rotate when necessary and appropriate. The evidence was there last season, when Tito flogged the same players to death for 2/3's of the season and the players were burnt out by March.

I agree that Tata did need to introduce an alternative to our play, but he has gone too far with the long diagonal-balls and lost sight of what has brought Barca unprecedented success; Tiki-Taka.

I believe you are incorrect. Martino doesn't play 4 midfielders every game, he only plays that formation vs the strongest opponents. So your theory he is doing it to shoehorn all the biggest names does not hold any water. He plays that formation because it is the formation that has the strongest midfield. A midfield that was capable of having the same strength and superiority in the past with only 3 players, instead of 4.
Martino's has not changed the team's tactics, he has just added small wrinkles to add variety and unpredictability to the attack, and yes, to mask the weaknesses of the team.

They are having to perform box-to-box duties because when the ball is won in our half and a long pass is played to the forward, the midfield are expected to get forward and support the attack. Should that attack break down (the forward should lose the ball deep in the opponents half), the Midfielders then have to track all the way back to prevent from being hit on the counter. And should Barca win the ball back, the cycle continues.

I am not against us going direct at times but we have to choose our moments. And not hit brainless long-balls 10-20 times a game, as I've seen in some matches this season (games we failed to win btw). Moving up as a cohesive unit, and allowing our Midfielders to dictate play rather than force it, as they do best, instead of the chaotic system under Tata.

I don't think you know what a box-to-box midfielder is. Box-to-box refers to a player who is there to defend his box, but is also capable of consistently attacking the opponents box. Hence the box-to-box denomination. Neither Xavi, nor Iniesta, nor Cesc are being asked to play a box-to-box style. To suggest so is to show lack of understanding of the role. Winning the ball and looking to play long passes is merely playing more direct.

It is also inaccurate to suggest this is all the midfielders are doing. They are making more direct plays, but they are still doing the majority of their play through the ground and in the same controlling manner they are accustomed. Again, Martino has not changed the style, he has merely added wrinkles.

ceefoo

I believe you are incorrect. Martino doesn't play 4 midfielders every game, he only plays that formation vs the strongest opponents. So your theory he is doing it to shoehorn all the biggest names does not hold any water. He plays that formation because it is the formation that has the strongest midfield. A midfield that was capable of having the same strength and superiority in the past with only 3 players, instead of 4.
Martino's has not changed the team's tactics, he has just added small wrinkles to add variety and unpredictability to the attack, and yes, to mask the weaknesses of the team.
Read what I said? I never said he plays 4 midfielders every game.

And you think that Tata has NOT changed the teams tactics. Are you sure about that? I don't remember Dani Alves firing aimless high crosses into the box over and over again to little or zero effect up until this season. Nor did we play a dozen plus long-balls from our own half of the pitch for our diminutive forwards to win. Since when did Barcelona play Fight-Ball? Or for that matter almost abandon the Tiki-Taka philosophy that made us a team to be feared. Think again?

I don't think you know what a box-to-box midfielder is. Box-to-box refers to a player who is there to defend his box, but is also capable of consistently attacking the opponents box. Hence the box-to-box denomination. Neither Xavi, nor Iniesta, nor Cesc are being asked to play a box-to-box style. To suggest so is to show lack of understanding of the role. Winning the ball and looking to play long passes is merely playing more direct.
I was using the term loosely, hence why I said "box-to-box duties". But anyway, that is pretty much what they have been expected to do in certain matches. We can agree to disagree on this!

It is also inaccurate to suggest this is all the midfielders are doing. They are making more direct plays, but they are still doing the majority of their play through the ground and in the same controlling manner they are accustomed. Again, Martino has not changed the style, he has merely added wrinkles.
You only have to look at Xavi's face in some of the losses & draws we've had this season to get an incite in to what he is thinking. So much so that Tata has been forced to give way (to a point) to player pressure and go back to the tried-and-trusted system or risk a players revolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans