Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
You'll still need to have a competitive backup if you have the ambitions of a club like ours and that's even if we had a veteran for our #1 - which we won't, not withstanding Mats' quality/potential

Sales are coming and the club, regardless of board, cannot look weak in what is universally considered an important transfer window for the club - Personally, I think we're at a crossroads...Zubi's best quality is that he was a legendary keeper and no one but a keeper from Barcelona can appreciate more the value of that position and how it has historically been difficult to get right...When Reina was linked last season and most thought it was an either him or Mats scenario, I was happy because I guessed that Zubi wants to double down at the position...and I think it's a smart plan

Victor's absence will reverberate so they have to protect Mats as well, a quality backup will represent an asset rather than a threat to his starts

In terms of the financial effiency, the money we're talking about is a pittance compared to what will be spent...It's like quibbling over the cost of chewing gum over that of buying a new car...Eventhough these are tough financial times, Barcelona's budget is not at risk...Big money is going to change hands this window

You're assuming the team is able to secure a quality backup for a reasonable value in the market. If they can, then indeed it is a pittance and certainly worth it for the peace of mind. However I'm not so sure. Reina's salary and likely transfer cost of 5-7M is starting keeper cost and it would be a huge luxury that the team cannot afford to waste, specially when there are other more pressing needs.

If the concern over MatS is so high, then the club would be better served just buying Reina as a starter and getting a cheap young backup to groom behind him.

Getting two starting caliber keepers both in talent, transfer cost, and salary is a huge misuse of resources for a club in a situation where they absolutely must make them most of them.

Egert

Estonian Culé
2s1rbf8.jpg

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Being in last year of contract means nothing unless the player is willing to run it down. It doesnt decrease the value of a player if their is a scramble for his signature.

You are assuming that signing Neymar for that money meant that other areas were ignored when in fact they were still looking to sign a CB. They were too particular in what they were looking for that was the problem.

It is easy to fire off names like Benatia now but were people shouting for him a year ago?

Last year of the contract gives less leverage to the selling club, which is the party setting the price in normal circumstances. It definitely changes the transfer cost of the player.

I also find it hard to believe after spending almost 90M for the Neymar transaction the club was willing to spend another 30M+ to get a world class CB. The Neymar transfer most definitely affected other would be transfers.

As for Benatia, he was a standout at Udinese even when Alexis was there. I knew about him from simply watching Seria A games, I find it difficult he was obscured to Barcelona even when they were scouting a player on his very team. But even so, it is the club's job to know more about players than their fans.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
No need to look back, it's a time to look forward. At the very least, Barca need to sign 2 GKs and 2 new defenders.

I think the way to go is:
Ter Stegen (He's already the choice, so why argue either way)
Caballero (Would be a fantastic back-up)

Laporte (The club needs a new young stud defender. I've watched him all year and he's perfect for us. Would be an expensive signing but very much worth it. I think the kid is better than both Varane and Marquinhos.)

Fazio (Good veteran defender who can push both Pique and Bartra. 10M is his buyout.)

The other positions can sort itself out like if we get 2 new CBs we can move Song to an other team and put Mascherano back in midfield. If they sell Alexis, then they can go after Reus. I love Xavi but I think his days of playing at the elite level are over, if he decided to go to the MLS it would open up a spot for a Vidal. I'm just dreaming him here with this last paragraph but shoring up our GKs and reorganizing our defense is vital.

JamDav1982

Last year of the contract gives less leverage to the selling club, which is the party setting the price in normal circumstances. It definitely changes the transfer cost of the player.

I also find it hard to believe after spending almost 90M for the Neymar transaction the club was willing to spend another 30M+ to get a world class CB. The Neymar transfer most definitely affected other would be transfers.

As for Benatia, he was a standout at Udinese even when Alexis was there. I knew about him from simply watching Seria A games, I find it difficult he was obscured to Barcelona even when they were scouting a player on his very team. But even so, it is the club's job to know more about players than their fans.

All that happened with Neymar being in the last year of his contract is that is started the auction. With so many clubs willing to pay so much for him the fact he was in his last year was going to have little impact on the cost of Neymar. It was all about how much clubs were willing to pay.

As I said it will be the day Neymar leaves the club that we will discover if it was a good transfer or not.

The club were clearly pursuing CBs last summer Marquinhos, Thiago Silva and Luiz they tried for.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
All that happened with Neymar being in the last year of his contract is that is started the auction. With so many clubs willing to pay so much for him the fact he was in his last year was going to have little impact on the cost of Neymar. It was all about how much clubs were willing to pay.

As I said it will be the day Neymar leaves the club that we will discover if it was a good transfer or not.

The club were clearly pursuing CBs last summer Marquinhos, Thiago Silva and Luiz they tried for.

Neymar had one value based on many variables, the fact that teams were willing to bid against each other and raise his cost does not change the fact that Barcelona payed for Neymar far more than his current value. Time will indeed tell if he ever lives up to his total transfer cost.

As for the CBs, Barcelona pursued unavailable players and was unwilling to match the cost of the only one that was actually on the market. If Barcelona was so high on Marquinhos, why not match PSG's 31M buy and add a little more?

Benatia cost Roma 13.5M. You telling me Barcelona is incapable of finding quality CBs for that price to at least shore the back for one more season?

That is either incompetence or they just blew their entire budget on the Neymar transfer. Both options are worrisome.

PaulTaylor

take out the Cb's and GK they will sign every other position they sign someone in will have somebody outgoing will probably spend more on the new player than selling the old but wouldn't be that much more.

fcbdna

Banned
Now that the ban has been suspended the board should make a pool of players and chose from it. I'd suggest :

Reus
Benatia
Luiz
Laporte
Mandzukic
Bacca
Aduriz
Doria
Balanta
Cuadrado
Aurier
Mikel Obi

Any of these players will be a great add to the team.

Zincubus

Banned
Now that the ban has been suspended the board should make a pool of players and chose from it. I'd suggest :

Reus
Benatia
Luiz
Laporte
Mandzukic
Bacca
Aduriz
Doria
Balanta
Cuadrado
Aurier
Mikel Obi

We can spend €120 million plus any funds from outgoing players .... we can go crazy and just spend all the money and keep everyone - just stockpile to cover the ban .

I

instinct

Do you guys think that we our tranfer offence will be THAT huge? I can't believe that Zubi is capable of doing this but we should buy many players because we don't know if the transfer ban will be valid for the transfer periods after this summer.
I'm reading in a German forum that EVERYONE expects such a huge transfer offence but I don't know...

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Do you guys think that we our tranfer offence will be THAT huge? I can't believe that Zubi is capable of doing this but we should buy many players because we don't know if the transfer ban will be valid for the transfer periods after this summer.
I'm reading in a German forum that EVERYONE expects such a huge transfer offence but I don't know...

The transfer was suspended, but not lifted. As it is, they have to go forward assuming that while they'll be able to sign players this summer, they'll be banned from signing players in the 14-15 winter market and the 2015 summer market. Therefore, they have to approach this summer accordingly.

That, combined with the team obvious and significant needs, would indicate a strong and aggressive transfer offence, but this is the Barcelona board we know and distrust, so who knows.

They might just get a lot of players, or they might just as well blame it all on Tata Martino and get the bare minimum. We'll see.

Lomar1o

Reus
Benatia
Luiz
Laporte
Mandzukic
Bacca
Aduriz
Doria
Balanta
Cuadrado
Aurier
Mikel Obi

bacca, obi mikel, aduriz won't be great additions by any means
luiz, aurier, cuadrado, balanta and doria are questionable.
reus, benatia, laporte would be great
mandzukic would also be great but he would be terrible against bus parkers.

the best defender we could sign i think is hummels. but barca's board will go for luiz because he is more marketable. as for forwards i hope we sign reus and maybe mandzu.

Alarcón

ter Stegen, Hummels, 2nd CB, RB, 1 or 2 midfielders.... I think that's pretty reasonable and according to our needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans