Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Rafinha is a versatile player no doubt, but playing CM for FC Barcelona is no joke. That's a whole different animal altogether. I don't question Rafinha's talent, I've seen him play and his talent is unquestionable. My concern is betting on him settling in as a CM backup, when one: that is not his natural position, him being more attack minded; two: thinking that just because he played well in a deeper role at Celta, he can just translate that over to Barcelona; and three: the adaptation period and his age playing such a demanding position, which requires experience to learn and of which his brother, being more suited to it, still struggled to master while at the team.

I can understand if people feel giving Cesc and Rafinha a chance to see if they can grow into the position is a priority, however I am concerned that might be a big gamble to take without getting a natural CM for assurance, when you consider the importance of the role, the fact that both players are not natural to the role, Cesc's consistency concerns and Rafinha's youth and inexperience, and the fact that the team needs to think in a 2 year window because of the looming ban.

There are too many red flags here to ignore and just risk it.

I hear what you are saying and you make valid points but I suppose I just think we are placing emphasis on different parts of the similar problem. As far as longevity goes, yes we have some decisions to make regarding who is going to take over for Xavi. But I just think its important to remember that Xavi isn't finished yet. He can still play and produce solid performances 20 games out of the season.

Consider our MF compared to other teams:

Us- Busi, Song, Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Sergi
Bayern- Kroos, Thiago, Schweini, Martinez, Goetze, Shaqiri
Madrid- Xabi, Isco, Di Maria, Casemiro, Modric, Khedira
Juve- Vidal, Pogba, Pirlo, Marchisio

These are the players that mainly play in the center for their squads and I'd only rate Bayern as having slightly more class, mainly because they stole Thiago. Other than that we have as much or more world class players in this position than any other team in Europe. With more coming. Personally, I don't think its our MF that is the problem because despite the apparent decline of this team, we still usually outclass teams in the center of the pitch. We always dominate control and possession and we wouldn't be able to do that if the MF was as bad as you make it out to be.

I understand your frustrations; its kinda hard to separate the forest from the trees with how poor its been at times out there. But the biggest reason why we struggle I think is because every time the other team attacks, we look like we are going to concede. I'd put a good 65-70% of our problems right now on our lack of defensive stability. With a solid defense, even if we are shut out by buses, at least its 0-0 instead of 0-3.

So that's why I don't think gambling on Cesc and Rafinha for a year would be as risky as it seems. Honestly a lot of the arguments you made against Rafinha I would say in a similar light as evidence of why spending big on a foreign CM is riskier than giving Cesc and Rafinha a chance. And we will only miss Winter 2014 and Summer 2015. We could still get a world class CM in winter 2015 if Cesc and Rafinha really flop that hard.

But I just think it would be far riskier for us not to invest heavily in our defense and attack than to go the youth route in MF. We control games fine, its our lack of scoring and our porous defense that is the problem right now.

i_bleed_blaugrana

How about that! For a Plan B or so.. like a 3-5-2

I drew up a very similar formation for what I'd like us to do in the future in a different thread!

Mine is more like a 3-1-4-2 but yours is very similar. I had Alexis in Cuadrado's position however and I would love to see what Alexis would do with an Alves-esq role. Yes he would have to work a lot defensively but it would open up his offensive game to a system that is more suited to his strengths.

3 at the back is the direction we should head tactically speaking. Guardiola is tinkering with similar systems over at Bayern and I think a similar shift is the direction we should go.

PaulTaylor

I drew up a very similar formation for what I'd like us to do in the future in a different thread!

Mine is more like a 3-1-4-2 but yours is very similar. I had Alexis in Cuadrado's position however and I would love to see what Alexis would do with an Alves-esq role. Yes he would have to work a lot defensively but it would open up his offensive game to a system that is more suited to his strengths.

3 at the back is the direction we should head tactically speaking. Guardiola is tinkering with similar systems over at Bayern and I think a similar shift is the direction we should go.

This really is just a More defensive version of the current 433 you'd need the 2 wide players to act as Wing Backs which they basically are already so you're just playing with an extra Cb rather than an extra attacker

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I hear what you are saying and you make valid points but I suppose I just think we are placing emphasis on different parts of the similar problem. As far as longevity goes, yes we have some decisions to make regarding who is going to take over for Xavi. But I just think its important to remember that Xavi isn't finished yet. He can still play and produce solid performances 20 games out of the season.

Consider our MF compared to other teams:

Us- Busi, Song, Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Sergi
Bayern- Kroos, Thiago, Schweini, Martinez, Goetze, Shaqiri
Madrid- Xabi, Isco, Di Maria, Casemiro, Modric, Khedira
Juve- Vidal, Pogba, Pirlo, Marchisio

These are the players that mainly play in the center for their squads and I'd only rate Bayern as having slightly more class, mainly because they stole Thiago. Other than that we have as much or more world class players in this position than any other team in Europe. With more coming. Personally, I don't think its our MF that is the problem because despite the apparent decline of this team, we still usually outclass teams in the center of the pitch. We always dominate control and possession and we wouldn't be able to do that if the MF was as bad as you make it out to be.

I understand your frustrations; its kinda hard to separate the forest from the trees with how poor its been at times out there. But the biggest reason why we struggle I think is because every time the other team attacks, we look like we are going to concede. I'd put a good 65-70% of our problems right now on our lack of defensive stability. With a solid defense, even if we are shut out by buses, at least its 0-0 instead of 0-3.

So that's why I don't think gambling on Cesc and Rafinha for a year would be as risky as it seems. Honestly a lot of the arguments you made against Rafinha I would say in a similar light as evidence of why spending big on a foreign CM is riskier than giving Cesc and Rafinha a chance. And we will only miss Winter 2014 and Summer 2015. We could still get a world class CM in winter 2015 if Cesc and Rafinha really flop that hard.

But I just think it would be far riskier for us not to invest heavily in our defense and attack than to go the youth route in MF. We control games fine, its our lack of scoring and our porous defense that is the problem right now.

I don't think getting a CM will affect the acquisition of defenders. Having a 2 year budget and the sale of exiting players is enough resources to shore up the defense and have more than half left to tackle other areas.

I also think you're overestimating Barcelona's midfield and underestimating other team's. Aside from Iniesta and Busi, the remaining midfielders all have serious question marks. On quick glance it becomes apparent that Barcelona's midfield compared to the others you listed severely lacks on speed and physicality.
The midfield also does not dominate as much as it appears, and often requires that 4th midfield to exert themselves. Large possession number are not necessarily indicative of domination.

I do agree that plenty of problems on this team begin from the shaky defense. The domino effect of a shaky defense extends all the way to the forward line and fixing that should have a positive effect throughout the team. But I still think upgrading the rest of the areas is something that is needed.

As for gambling on Cesc and Rafinha, it won't be for a year but for 2. If the team decides to go with them and only them, then they're stuck with that decision for the next 2 seasons because world class midfielders rarely are available in the winter market and if they are, you won't get your pick of the lot but have to settle for a specific one, and he will likely also be cup tied.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
As for gambling on Cesc and Rafinha, it won't be for a year but for 2. If the team decides to go with them and only them, then they're stuck with that decision for the next 2 seasons because world class midfielders rarely are available in the winter market and if they are, you won't get your pick of the lot but have to settle for a specific one, and he will likely also be cup tied.

This. We need to make any possible signings we might want, not just for next season but for the season as well. That means that a midfielder is a must. As are central defenders, a fullback, and maybe a veteran striker.

DinhoR10

This. We need to make any possible signings we might want, not just for next season but for the season as well. That means that a midfielder is a must. As are central defenders, a fullback, and maybe a veteran striker.

A David villa type striker who's taller to provide an ariel threat would be better.

L

Learo

We should definitely consider making Bartra our fixed RB. He offers plenty of attacking power, but his main strength is his defense and heading, which nicely complements our left side. He used to play RB quite a bit for the B team and I think he has played there for us a couple of times as well.

We could then consider buying two CBs. I dont think any forwards are necessary. Messi will always be our CF and we cant have a player who will rust on the bench 80% of the time as his replacement. The CF is a crucial position and we need the player who plays there to be razor sharp, not lacking match fitness.

L

Learo

I miss DV7. Who do you have in mind that fits that profile?

I dont think many misses his total inability to stay onside. It is mind boggling that such a veteran was unable to not be caught offside at least 5 times every game.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I dont think many misses his total inability to stay onside. It is mind boggling that such a veteran was unable to not be caught offside at least 5 times every game.

No, it's just that he's one of my favorite players. But I don't know anybody we'd get who'd fit his mold.

DinhoR10

I miss DV7. Who do you have in mind that fits that profile?

Munir El Haddadi? :lol: maybe in 2 or 3 years.

But in terms of quick direct strikers Suarez/Aguero who we aren't going to get :(, those are the only one's with the talent to play for us I think preferably aguero.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Munir El Haddadi? :lol: maybe in 2 or 3 years.

But in terms of quick direct strikers Suarez/Aguero who we aren't going to get :(, those are the only one's with the talent to play for us I think preferably aguero.

Munir does have the profile of a dynamic forward. Will be interesting to see him evolve.

Jese from Madrid has a similar profile to a younger Villa, but no way they'll let him slip off their fingers.

hulinat

Aguero move could happen. He could play as a striker and Messi would be willing to play as winger again and pass the ball to him because they are best friends.
Neymar-Aguero-Messi.

DinhoR10

Munir does have the profile of a dynamic forward. Will be interesting to see him evolve.

Jese from Madrid has a similar profile to a younger Villa, but no way they'll let him slip off their fingers.

Kid is crazy good isn't he? 2 goals in 57 minutes this season. Has everything we need for when Messi drops back into midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans