Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neymessi

I think its time we start thinking about the midfield as it has deteriorated in the past years and now Xavi has to go. Iniesta is getting old and not always reliable to be at his best.Cesc has his problems.So except busquets we won't be having a perfect starter next season and our team relies on midfielders.

DinhoR10

I agree with everything except I think not investing in a CM is going to be a huge and potentially crippling mistake for this team.

The team needs to take into account the likely possibility that the ban will be held and they won't be able to sign for the next 2 transfer windows. Therefore they must operate with 2 years in mind. With that thought in mind, you're placing an extremely pivotal position for this team in the hands of a then 35-36 year old Xavi, who as it is right now is but a shadow of his former self; on a Fabregas who has given you no assurances or evidence that he can effectively play the position for a whole season, not to mention his form dips in second halfs of seasons being major concerns; and on a 21 year old Rafinha who is not a natural CM and who you do not know if he is or will be capable of playing the position.

It is too much of a gamble in my mind. The team need to secure depth for this position and not leave it exposed.

Xavi's shoes are incredibly hard to fill, the only one in the world with the talent who is available to us is probably Iniesta and whats the point of wasting him there(Theres Thiago too but he's gone :lol:) ? So you're left with some options, Inconsistent Cesc, Untested Rafinha and a bought star like Kroos. I have no faith in Cesc becoming what we need and I'm a La Masia first kind of guy so I'd rather use Rafinha than give Bayern 40 million.

He's untested in cl games and the like but has no problems playing against the likes of us or real madrid. And in the video he starts off looking messi-esque then turns into Xavi by then end of the match :lol:

KING XAVI

In my opinion,buying laporte is a must,he is extremely quick and can offer us something new,....pace is something our other cbs lack except masch,who is not a cb ofcourse....he is also young at 19.extremely talented.hummels is too much like pique,and slow.i don't know h about benatia,but i don't think he is that quick either

i_bleed_blaugrana

I agree with everything except I think not investing in a CM is going to be a huge and potentially crippling mistake for this team.

The team needs to take into account the likely possibility that the ban will be held and they won't be able to sign for the next 2 transfer windows. Therefore they must operate with 2 years in mind. With that thought in mind, you're placing an extremely pivotal position for this team in the hands of a then 35-36 year old Xavi, who as it is right now is but a shadow of his former self; on a Fabregas who has given you no assurances or evidence that he can effectively play the position for a whole season, not to mention his form dips in second halfs of seasons being major concerns; and on a 21 year old Rafinha who is not a natural CM and who you do not know if he is or will be capable of playing the position.

It is too much of a gamble in my mind. The team need to secure depth for this position and not leave it exposed.

We need goal scorers. When you are having 75%+ possession and having difficulty scoring, that to me indicates an imbalance.

I'm not buying the critiques people place on Cesc and I actually think if we gave him an extended spell as a CM, people would be pleasantly surprised at how well he'd do. He hasn't been given that chance and until then, it's not fair to judge whether or not he is Xavi's successor.

Keep in mind while controlling tempo and positional awareness are key components to what we need in that role (in that regard, there will never be a better CM) it isn't the end all, be all. Both Cesc and Rafinha have good work rates and while we might lose 5-10% possession with them, we'd be much more dynamic offensively and they can cover defensively better than what Xavi is offering now.

Plus with Samper and Denis Suarez rising in the ranks in the coming years, another CM/AM just seems excessive to me when it's clear we need a different and more direct scoring threat up top. Other than replacing Song (important to remember we can move Masch and potentially Luiz as DM cover for Busi) I don't think we need more depth at CM.

I think 60 million for Aguero would be better for the team in the long term (especially with locker room chemistry) than 60 million for Vidal. And yes, it will take at least that much to get him away from Juve.

All honesty, if we had to get a CM, I'd prefer a Strootman or Pogba over Vidal or Kroos. Pogba would be everything Song is x20.

ceefoo

http://www.totalbarca.com/2014/opinion-pieces/a-serious-look-at-silly-season/
The article further backs up the incompetence this Board has shown for what amounts to years now. How can the same Board that is responsible for the squads neglect, be the same group to put it right?

A MINOR-Re-Build IS needed. But there's a quandary; I don't trust this Board to do it! And if I had my way, they'd be out!

We are losing key individuals and leaders in Valdes, Puyol, Dani Alves (probably). Xavi is on the decline. Players that have been the backbone of Barca for years.

A look at the 2008-09 Squad highlights the vast difference to the current squad:

1 GK V. Valdés
2 DF M. Cáceres
3 DF Piqué
4 DF Márquez
5 DF Puyol (captain)
6 MF Xavi
7 FW Gudjohnsen
8 MF A. Iniesta
9 FW Eto'o
10 FW Messi
11 FW Bojan
13 GK Pinto
14 FW Henry
15 MF Keita
16 DF Sylvinho
18 DF Milito
20 DF Dani Alves
21 MF Hleb
22 DF Abidal
24 MF Touré Yaya
25 GK Jorquera
27 FW Pedro
28 MF Busquets
29 DF V. Sánchez

This squad had everything: Skill, Strength, Speed, Guile, Mobility, Exuberance, Discipline, Aggression, Physical Presence and possibly most importantly - BALANCE. It has variety. Something the current squad is severely lacking. I'm not saying we need a massive squad, we don't. I prefer a small squad anyway, and just bulk it with youth players.
Of course it does include some duds as well, but no squad is perfect, that's the point of a squad.

I agree with the author that a strong, proactive Manager with vision and character, who shares the clubs philosophy is a must. Someone who the board should trust to rebuild the squad without enforcing players on him that lean more towards marketing than necessity.

Gilberto

Overall, I think what we are lacking at the moment are a couple of powerhouses, players that can make a difference physically instead of technically/tactically...

With Puyol retiring, we need 3 of those players, one for every line. Suggestion: players like Benatia, Drogba and Bender.

BBZ8800

I don't think that tiki-taka's found out, I just think that we can't play it well under anyone but Pep. Or, at least, that few managers can make tiki-taka work effectively.

Before anyone brings up Bayern and their loss to Madrid, perhaps their players don't fit tiki-taka, but imo it's too soon to say.

With this way of thinking, we can debate for the next 10 years about Tiki-Taka.
In 2013, we had Tito, so he wasn't as good as Pep.
In 2014, we had Tata, he wasn't as good as Pep, plus he tried different styles.
Then from 2015-2024 we will have lots of new managers and we still won't win Champions league never again with a pure Tiki-Taka.

In 2024', after 10+ Seasons of trying to bring back Tiki-Taka from 2009' maybe some users here will realize that Tiki-Taka from 2009' is gone forever, no mater which players, coach and what amount of running/pressing/triangles will we have.

1. Our opponents will never be as stupid/as naive as in 2009 anymore
2. Messi will never be as good as in 2009 anymore

But ok, the time will tell.
But please, for the next Season, we should prepare some new excuses, because it is pretty clear that it will be the same like in the last 2-3 Seasons, until we tweak/evolve our tactics.

2014-2015 Season, prediction:
1. we still don't run like we did in 2009'
2. we don't play triangles like we did in 2009'
3. parked buses are not the problem, our play is the problem
4. Tiki-Taka is awesome, we just need to run the as much as we did in 2009'

Now repeat this scenario in 2016, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24.
Maybe then our team will start to work on some upgraded/evolved formation/tactics/style of play.

BBZ8800

That makes sense, but then again, how many times did teams like RM beat us since 2008? Or to be fair and consistent with what you said, since a few years later than 2008, given that they needed some time to adapt their game against tiki-taka? They may have built their tactics against tiki-taka, but they still more often than not fail against it. Even since Pep left, in the last two seasons, during which Barca deteriorated significantly, they lost 4, won 3, and drew 2 Clasicos. It's not bad, but the average is still on Barcelona's side. And not to mention the 2008-2012 period.

Again, this answer is flawed.

Even Real Madrid was naive in 2008-2009-2010-2011 etc, like all other teams in the world.
In those times they haven't yet found a way to neutralize Tiki-Taka.

But look at the last 2 Seasons. Last Season they trashed us in open play in almost all matches.
This Season we have 2 wins in La liga and a defeat in Copa.
But, as you see, we are not as good against them as we were in 2009, for example.

I know, users will again reply: "Tiki-Taka is NOT a problem. We don't run/play as good as back then."

But again, in every match 2 teams play the match.
Your performance is somewhat influenced by your opponents. And you can play only as good as they allow you to, let's say it that way.

What if we are crap today, not because we run less, but because they have neutralized us and we can't run like in 2009'?

We can never test this, but there is a very huge possibility that even our team from 2009' would struggle today (if we could just cut and copy them from 2009' to 2014' in a sci-fi way)

We play the same or slightly worse.
Our opponents are playing/defending/counterattacking much better against us than in 2009'

And with each new Season passing by, more and more teams will learn more and more tricks how to neutralize our tactics from 2009'

ebieymjunior

I think the squad should include 22 players (including Masip and Suarez) and a lot of B team players (Ortolá, Ié, Grimaldo, Samper, Halilovic, Adama, Munir, Sandro) who get to play a lot by the reserves but are backups for the first team during the whole season. Ié should also train with the first team.

The best would be to
- sell a bunch of players (Oier, Alves, Song, dos Santos, Afellay, Cuenca, Tello, Bojan)
- keep Mascherano (can play in both CB and DM)
- buy one GK, one CB, a RB and eventually swap Sanchez for Reus
- loan out Dongou and bring back Deulofeu and Rafinha
- decide if they want to keep Rafinha or keep Fabregas (not both can stay)

For the CB: preferably a swap deal of Alves + cash for Thiago Silva, otherwise Hummels is also OK, and Benatia too
For the RB: preferably De Sciglio but not for too much money (arguably 30M max)
In attack 5 players is enough and 4 is a bit thin so the best would be Reus for Sanchez and Deulofeu for Tello

BBZ8800

You should change this from... to POSSESSION football.

"Parking the bus" neutralizes ALL footballing styles. To date, there is NO full-proof method to counteract the "bus".

Rijkaard neutralized Mourinho's bus (Chelsea) in 2006 (after he knocked us out in 2005' 2:1 and 2:4).
Do you know how?
= he didn't play all out attack like in 2005' (Tiki-Taka is somewhat similar to all out attack possession football with all your players in the opponent's half).
-- our team played more safe and cautious and we haven't played with 10 players in their half
-- we "gave" them some Possession and gave them a ball from time to time, and then when they would slightly open and when they would lose their bus-structure, and we would do some faster counterattacks
-- so, we played a regular Possession football in those matches, but not with 10 players in their half
= if we managed to score that way=fine
-- if not, we would give them the ball, and tried some counterattacks

So, what we have today with Tiki-Taka against top teams?
1. we have Possession 70-80%
2. we usually don't break the bus with shortpassing/playing through the middle
3. we don't have a plan B, for example:
a) playing high crosses because we don't have higher players
b) we don't try to give them some Possession to force them to open slightly more and to leave their bus-formation
-- we don't even try some counterattacks, players like Xavi always slow down the game/our counterattacs and it seems like they want to play against parked buses
4. also, with playing 10 players in their half, we usually can't score a goal, and yet, we are very vulnerable on counterattacks and we usually lose those matches

Rijkaard's tactics:
1. we didn't have Possession 80% of time
2. we didn't attack with 10 players in their half
3. we tried a few different styles:
a) through the middle, something like Tiki-Taka
b) we tried some crosses (Ronaldinho was higher than our current players, Eto'o was higher than our current players, Larsson was the king with headers)
-- also, we had more arial ability both in attacking and defensive free-kicks (Puyol, Marquez, Oleguer, Edmilson, Van Bommel, Belletti))
-- so, our team was generally much stronger physically and much better in the air, both in the attack and defense
c) we had even plan C, to give them some possession and to counterattack them with fast Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Guily/Messi
4. We didn't allow counterattacks, because we didn't play with 10 players in their own half and with fullbacks almost in their box

For those who fear that Barca will die without Tiki-Taka, we have always played Possession football and there are 1000s of other variations of Possession football.
Rijkaard's Barca didn't play Tiki-Taka and they brought us the first Champions league since 1992'

Also, current Tiki-Taka is extremely one-dimensional, it is easy to defend, we don't have a plan B and plan C like in 2006', and we are extremely vulnerable on counterattacks.

Seriously, the world won't end if we change our Tiki-Taka to some upgraded/evolved version of Possession/attacking football with slightly more options in the attacks, and slightly better defense against counterattacks and against corners.

Last edited:

ceefoo

Rijkaard neutralized Mourinho's bus (Chelsea) in 2006 (after he knocked us out in 2005' 2:1 and 2:4).
Do you know how?
= he didn't play all out attack like in 2005' (Tiki-Taka is somewhat similar to all out attack possession football with all your players in the opponent's half).
-- our team played more safe and cautious and we haven't played with 10 players in their half
-- we "gave" them some Possession and gave them a ball from time to time, and then when they would slightly open and when they would lose their bus-structure, and we would do some faster counterattacks
-- so, we played a regular Possession football in those matches, but not with 10 players in their half
I agree that committing more players into your opponents half against a "Parked Bus" doesn't necessarily mean it will improve your chances of breaching the wall. Most of the time it just makes the attacking third even more congested.

Holding some players back, may entice the bus to spread out and open the space.

The BIG difference with the Rijkaard and Pep teams though were their defensive stability. That is what has cost us dearly in recent seasons. I'm certain that if we had a solid defensive unit we could have won more trophies in the last 3 seasons.

Our deficiencies without the ball has only led us to using possession increasingly more as a defensive tactic and blurred the lines between the true meaning of passing with purpose and passing without.

Truthist

Do you know how?

So, what we have today with Tiki-Taka against top teams?
1. we have Possession 70-80%
2. we usually don't break the bus with shortpassing/playing through the middle
3. we don't have a plan B, for example:
a) playing high crosses because we don't have higher players
b) we don't try to give them some Possession to force them to open slightly more and to leave their bus-formation
-- we don't even try some counterattacks, players like Xavi always slow down the game/our counterattacs and it seems like they want to play against parked buses
4. also, with playing 10 players in their half, we usually can't score a goal, and yet, we are very vulnerable on counterattacks and we usually lose those matches

Rijkaard's tactics:
1. we didn't have Possession 80% of time
2. we didn't attack with 10 players in their half
3. we tried a few different styles:
a) through the middle, something like Tiki-Taka
b) we tried some crosses (Ronaldinho was higher than our current players, Eto'o was higher than our current players, Larsson was the king with headers)
-- also, we had more arial ability both in attacking and defensive free-kicks (Puyol, Marquez, Oleguer, Edmilson, Van Bommel, Belletti))
-- so, our team was generally much stronger physically and much better in the air, both in the attack and defense
c) we had even plan C, to give them some possession and to counterattack them with fast Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Guily/Messi
4. We didn't allow counterattacks, because we didn't play with 10 players in their own half and with fullbacks almost in their box

For those who fear that Barca will die without Tiki-Taka, we have always played Possession football and there are 1000s of other variations of Possession football.
Rijkaard's Barca didn't play Tiki-Taka and they brought us the first Champions league since 1992'

Also, current Tiki-Taka is extremely one-dimensional, it is easy to defend, we don't have a plan B and plan C like in 2006', and we are extremely vulnerable on counterattacks.

Seriously, the world won't end if we change our Tiki-Taka to some upgraded/evolved version of Possession/attacking football with slightly more options in the attacks, and slightly better defense against counterattacks and against corners.

Excellent post and I agree totally.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
We need goal scorers. When you are having 75%+ possession and having difficulty scoring, that to me indicates an imbalance.

I'm not buying the critiques people place on Cesc and I actually think if we gave him an extended spell as a CM, people would be pleasantly surprised at how well he'd do. He hasn't been given that chance and until then, it's not fair to judge whether or not he is Xavi's successor.

Keep in mind while controlling tempo and positional awareness are key components to what we need in that role (in that regard, there will never be a better CM) it isn't the end all, be all. Both Cesc and Rafinha have good work rates and while we might lose 5-10% possession with them, we'd be much more dynamic offensively and they can cover defensively better than what Xavi is offering now.

Plus with Samper and Denis Suarez rising in the ranks in the coming years, another CM/AM just seems excessive to me when it's clear we need a different and more direct scoring threat up top. Other than replacing Song (important to remember we can move Masch and potentially Luiz as DM cover for Busi) I don't think we need more depth at CM.

I think 60 million for Aguero would be better for the team in the long term (especially with locker room chemistry) than 60 million for Vidal. And yes, it will take at least that much to get him away from Juve.

All honesty, if we had to get a CM, I'd prefer a Strootman or Pogba over Vidal or Kroos. Pogba would be everything Song is x20.

Indeed the team needs goal scorers, you won't find me disagreeing with that. However the midfield is instrumental to the performance of the scorers as scorers can be shut down if the midfield is struggling.

I also understand people's faith in Cesc, but it is only that at this point, faith. He has given very little actual evidence of being able to play that role. However I think putting everything on faith is not smart. What if he does not return your faith in kind? Then you're stuck with him and a Xavi on his last legs to carry you through next year and through the ban year. That will cripple the team big time.

Rafinha is a question mark as well. We simply do not know how he will play for Barcelona. Then you have Samper who is a DM and Suarez who is an AM. That still leaves the pure CM role with zero depth.

That's a lot of ifs to put on an extremely pivotal position. I think it would be foolish to gamble this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans