Barça's Transfers and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

barca1899

Barcelona are monitoring Wolfsburg player Luiz Gustavo (26). Could consider signing him if Alex Song would want to leave next summer. [md]

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
That is an interesting question. Right now? I'd say we do not need another forward. However, this is contingent to Neymar's continued improvement, Messi's return to health and form, and Alexis maintaining this level and becoming a consistent and reliable scorer. These are a lot of ifs, but having no reason to think they cannot occur, I'd say they can concentrate on reinforcing different positions for the time being because if these conditions happen, then our front 3 is good enough to win everything.

Though I do have doubts if Neymar can become a true reliable scoring threat right away, and if Alexis can keep his current form all through the year.

The "plan B" strike option is a delicate situation. The position and demand you'd have for a player like that really limits the players you can bring that would be ok with accepting such a role. Bringing someone subpar just because he was one of the few to accept such a role would, IMHO, be more a hindrance than a benefit to the team.

Neymar has the capability to become a much bigger scoring threat fairly soon. Usually he's more of an on the ball player dribbling and cutting in to either shoot/pass but I think he's about to really up his game in terms of getting into deadlier goalscoring positions. We saw vs Betis that despite the fact that he was overall subpar in finishing and sometimes mistimed his movement, he kept making runs and getting in behind the defense. That type of ability is learned over time and what makes a player a consistent and reliable goalscoring option. With Messi out, he'll be a bigger focal point and refine his attacking capabilities to become a fairly regular goalscorer.

Alexis is currently in a great run of form, but remember that he's been this way since March almost. He's been scoring for both club and country consistently and even in the biggest of games. He's building a sort of permanent confidence that will help make sure that he isn't just running on thin ice with this hot streak but actually becoming a player that can reliably stay this good. Obviously he'll have dry spells just like anyone else, and he might not score to the same magnitude in the second half of the season for whatever reasons, but he I doubt he'll be erratic in form and be the same player of previous years that we could not depend on.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Neymar has the capability to become a much bigger scoring threat fairly soon. Usually he's more of an on the ball player dribbling and cutting in to either shoot/pass but I think he's about to really up his game in terms of getting into deadlier goalscoring positions. We saw vs Betis that despite the fact that he was overall subpar in finishing and sometimes mistimed his movement, he kept making runs and getting in behind the defense. That type of ability is learned over time and what makes a player a consistent and reliable goalscoring option. With Messi out, he'll be a bigger focal point and refine his attacking capabilities to become a fairly regular goalscorer.

Alexis is currently in a great run of form, but remember that he's been this way since March almost. He's been scoring for both club and country consistently and even in the biggest of games. He's building a sort of permanent confidence that will help make sure that he isn't just running on thin ice with this hot streak but actually becoming a player that can reliably stay this good. Obviously he'll have dry spells just like anyone else, and he might not score to the same magnitude in the second half of the season for whatever reasons, but he I doubt he'll be erratic in form and be the same player of previous years that we could not depend on.

Good points. Messi's absence might just provide the perfect set of circumstances for this two to really evolve. The extra responsibility, freedom and increased prominence, combined with a soft schedule might just be enough to accelerate their evolution into more decisive players.

In any case, this season will be an excellent trial to determine which players improve, adapt and stay going forward, or which regress, remain stagnant and need replacing.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Good points. Messi's absence might just provide the perfect set of circumstances for this two to really evolve. The extra responsibility, freedom and increased prominence, combined with a soft schedule might just be enough to accelerate their evolution into more decisive players.

In any case, this season will be an excellent trial to determine which players improve, adapt and stay going forward, or which regress, remain stagnant and need replacing.

You and Sumlit are spot on. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if Messi was fit.

The timing of Messi's injury in particular is what makes it a blessing in disguise. With Neymar and Alexis getting regular service, they are sure to start scoring for fun especially with the relatively easy schedule we have for the rest of the year. Overall the team will naturally have to raise their games as a result of Messi's abscence.

I've never seen the need of buying another striker when our main striker now can score 91 goals in a year. Especially since, imo, we already have our "plan b" striker waiting in the wings. Dongou if given time could develop into exactly the kind of super-sub we need and with him being so young, he'd accept the role. Plus he's free. We've seen what Tata has gotten out of Bartra, Alexis, Cesc and Pedro (all players who have been severely inconsistent) and with some consistent time I think Dongou already has all the qualities we are looking for in a true 9.

Much rather us focus on securing another CB and the Valdes situation

IMO playing a striker makes sense from a tactical standpoint, not because we need someone who can score. In some games, playing Messi on the right rather than in the center may be the better tactical option, and Tata has certainly made extensive use of that option in big games (Milan, Madrid). The problem with that, though, is that with Messi & Neymar out wide we're left with no players who can play the CF role. I think before we go out and buy anybody maybe we can try playing Alexis in that role. Otherwise, I think Chicharito would be a good –not to mention– realistic option if we ever go in that direction.

Zincubus

Banned
Ah, also, I am the reason that there is now two threads for transfers (one for Barcelona, another for the rest)

Because a member criticized me during our "argument" about David Luiz. And because I posted MANY infos about transfers that concern other clubs.

Because he couldn't understand that i can like two clubs (PSG and Barcelona) and also because he couldn't understand I am interested in other clubs transfers, even the clubs I dislike.. And because he believed till the end that DL was going to join Barcelona, while I asked him many times to be reasonable because all was pointing to it not happening.

After that, the mods, to make peace again, created a new thread exclusively to talk about transfers that concern Barcelona.

Not so sure about your ' claim ' on the Barca specific transfer section . As I recall ..... I started a 'discussion' rather than a thread - explaining how confusing it was for everyone to be posting who ' they ' were interested in / buying / selling and then it turned out that they were Ajax or Bayern fans , I thought it ODD to be discussing random / various teams in a BARCA transfer discussion forum and requested a Barca ' specific ' transfer thread :)

PS Maybe our guys are scouting IBRA !!!??

Yesssszzzzz !!!!

i_bleed_blaugrana

According to Bleacher Report, we are interested in Berba as a short-term striker replacement for Messi... :facepalm:

Zubi is fucking clueless. I'd rather we get someone like Michu if we are going to try and lock down a PL replacement but this is just dumb.

Trickykid

According to Bleacher Report, we are interested in Berba as a short-term striker replacement for Messi... :facepalm:

Zubi is fucking clueless. I'd rather we get someone like Michu if we are going to try and lock down a PL replacement but this is just dumb.

First of all; Bleacher Report? Seriously? That site makes a certain banned site in here look sober.
Also, Michu? He would be absurdly expensive considering our needs, and I can't possibly fathom us being even remotely interested in him as it is.

I mean, Zubi bashing is understandably all the rage these days, but on account of a completely random Bleacher Report it just get's too much.

Galning

First of all; Bleacher Report? Seriously? That site makes a certain banned site in here look sober.
Also, Michu? He would be absurdly expensive considering our needs, and I can't possibly fathom us being even remotely interested in him as it is.

I mean, Zubi bashing is understandably all the rage these days, but on account of a completely random Bleacher Report it just get's too much.

Thirdly, "short term replacement" how? Messi is injured for 6-8 weeks, we already had one week, and the transfer market opens in... you guessed it, more than a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans