Cesar Azpilicueta

Messi983

He is the kind of player that you need to look at the big picture before judging the signing.
If the team can get rid of some of the current veterans, and get a starting RB & CB, then the guy is great deal.
He is the ultimate 1st option from the bench for defense. Can be great with 3 atb.
You get him to be starting RB, without something warrant such sacrifice (like saving money for Halaand) and it is a head scratcher

Exactly. I don't think he will be the only CB/RB we'll bring. Until proven otherwise I see him more as Mingueza replacement (will surely play more and also be a quality upgrade over him despite age) than a starter.

iniestaGOAT

Exactly. I don't think he will be the only CB/RB we'll bring. Until proven otherwise I see him more as Mingueza replacement (will surely play more and also be a quality upgrade over him despite age) than a starter.

Well high chance we bring the RB from ajax for free. Also linked to ajax lb this window, add azpi. Three new defenders.

And hopefully sule.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Some posts here read exactly like the ones when we tried to sign Aguero. In a vacuum he is a decent option but not for a team that's filled with 30+ year olds.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Some posts here read exactly like the ones when we tried to sign Aguero. In a vacuum he is a decent option but not for a team that's filled with 30+ year olds.

We are looking too much short-term solutions but this is now the way for 3-4 years and it's time to build a team for the long-term. The question is if Xavi is ready for this step, its a big step.

Messi983

A healthy Aguero would be good if played alongside fit Ansu, Ferran and Dembele.

The same Azpi can be a good signing if played with Araujo, Eric, Sule/Christensen, Mazraoui.

If he will play alongside Alves, Pique, Alba and Busi then he won't be a solution but also not the biggest problem. It's pretty clear who would be responsible for playing all these guys at the same time.

El Gato

Villarato!

How’s it filled with 30 year olds. There’s literally 3 starters that age and all 3 of them are garbage only waiting to be dropped by a manager who has a working set of eyes and a feasible alternative to play with.

It’s not 2018 anymore man

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
IF we get him, he is obviously a band-aid, stop gap, whatever you call that, not a long term solution. Understandable since we are short on money and we can't find decent younger options and the club has to worry about top 4 position and can't go full retard with young players.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
A healthy Aguero would be good if played alongside fit Ansu, Ferran and Dembele.

The same Azpi can be a good signing if played with Araujo, Eric, Sule/Christensen, Mazraoui.

If he will play alongside Alves, Pique, Alba and Busi then he won't be a solution but also not the biggest problem. It's pretty clear who would be responsible for playing all these guys at the same time.

How’s it filled with 30 year olds. There’s literally 3 starters that age and all 3 of them are garbage only waiting to be dropped by a manager who has a working set of eyes and a feasible alternative to play with.

It’s not 2018 anymore man

I should have been more specific. Our backline and who Xavi prefers to play are filled with 30 year olds. I genuinely trust Xavi less than Valverde when it comes to veterans. Until proven otherwise Im 100 percent certain these players will be starters next season as well:

Pique
Alba
Busquets
Azpi/Alves

So pretty much my concern is the last sentence of Messi983. If I had to guess our lineup for next season , it would be something along these lines:

Mats
Azpi/Alves-Signing/Araujo-Pique-Alba
Pedri-Busquets-?
Ferran-Morata-Ansu

El Gato

Villarato!
I should have been more specific. Our backline and who Xavi prefers to play are filled with 30 year olds. I genuinely trust Xavi less than Valverde when it comes to veterans. Until proven otherwise Im 100 percent certain these players will be starters next season as well:

I don't see why you're giving Xavi leeway here and taking the line of accepting players that will stink it up 90% of the time just because there's no hope manager will act to fix it. It's a reasonable expectation of a rebuilding manager to remove players that are old and everyone can see they're the problem, and move system accordingly. Not remotely similar to EV situation where everyone was 4 years younger and not nearly as useless though still declining. That then was the RM current stage which is a league winning side so it's somewhat acceptable, but not most desirable.
For Xavi it's no longer excusable to do so just cuz they're his mates. Azpi shouldnt make a difference a very useful player when used correctly and on a free so can always be moved. If anything you should be happy he's being signed just so you can bin a 38 yr old who shouldnt even be at Barca in first place ASAP

Birdy

Watching tonight's Chelsea - Lille confirms that Azpli is past it at the highest level
Could not follow Lille's running and intensity as RWB.
From here, he can only decline and not get any younger or better

Stay away from him in the summer.
If we are to buy RB, sign Mazraoui instead

Zidane82

Watching tonight's Chelsea - Lille confirms that Azpli is past it at the highest level

The online sites do not agree with you .

#

Cesar Azpilicueta - 7/10
Busted a gut to get up and down the right flank, offering up some decent service in the process. It will be interesting to see what minutes he gets with Reece James back in contention very soon, but he has been a good deputy in the interim.

Cesar Azpilicueta Azpilicueta offered some threat down Chelseas right flank during the 90 minutes - 7

Cesar Azpilicueta: Got himself into some good positions down the right and put in plenty of crosses into the box. His usual reliable self when needing to defend. 6

Barcilliant

I agree. I would go for Mazraoui too. Azpi is past it.

Home of Barca Fans