Cesc Fàbregas

Garrus

I'm waiting for him to make a big impact against someone like real madrid just as xavi and iniesta have, He was lackluster the last time and ended up getting substituted

Pepe Silvia

I'm waiting for him to make a big impact against someone like real madrid just as xavi and iniesta have, He was lackluster the last time and ended up getting substituted
when you say you are "waiting for him", do you mean you are reserving praise for him until he performs against real madrid or that you like what he's done to improve but you'd also like him to do well against a top tier team as well? in the latter i'd look to malaga and that world class lob/finish with messi as proof of his impact against a top rated defense (least goals conceded in la liga and many more impressive defensive la liga stats for them).

currently, cesc has more away goals in liga than falcao, #2 in la liga assists, and is rated as a top 5 player in performances by who scored. he is literally on par with andres iniesta in terms of passing stats, i know thats not the whole story as iniesta is a wizard aside from stats, but it says something that cesc has made drastic improvements in his passing game since his "70s % range" passing avg last season (he has always contributed noticeably in goals and assists for barcelona) so those improvements and consistency should come with some extra praise for the player regardless if he has or hasn't had a motm performance against rm. but i guess time will tell when people decide to start giving the guy his deserved props instead of looking for excuses to not like him.

Garrus

I was talking about the latter one, It not possible not to praise cesc in what he has done in the league, After his performance against sevilla and benfica, I was very excited about what he can do with real madrid, The image of him, Xavi and ineista tormenting madrid made me droll, But his display in that game was disappointing, I'm sure eventually he'll have a breakthrough in the classico, I just hope it's soon rather than later.

Pepe Silvia

cesc has a long way to go to be at the heights of iniesta or xavi. he has a long way to go to control games in the way those two can. he is getting there, and his stats and performances have shown that. i think his breakthroughs have already happened in a more subtle way, less in a mindblowing performance and more with his ability to settle into his own style, rhythm, create, etc. he is on his way :)

Henry_IB

Banned
Don't think we'll ever see Cesc control games as iniesta does, and definitely not as Xavi does. I simply don't think he's that type of player. His strengths lay elsewhere.

Pepe Silvia

you may be right. the nice thing is that thiago working with cesc will be the right balance of xavi and iniesta in the future. maybe not 100% xavi or 100% iniesta but just the right balance.

Stric

I agree with the last two posts. Cesc is an outstanding midfielder, but IMHO not the type that controls the game or dictates play. He's a very straight forward type of player. Thiago seems more like the controlling type to me, as well. And as you've said, the two together should be exactly what's needed. God, we have so many incredible midfielders at the moment!

Last edited:

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
Don't think we'll ever see Cesc control games as iniesta does, and definitely not as Xavi does. I simply don't think he's that type of player. His strengths lay elsewhere.
Exactly and his different strengths is what is needed when our usual strengths fail. One pass from Cesc can tear open a whole defence, even the tightest of defences.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think he is underrated for his big game performances. Granted, he does it mainly for the NT. He assisted the winner in the WC final and the winner in the Euro 2012 final. It's only a matter of time before he translates his big game form to club football as well. We'll see during the knockout stages of the CL this year.

Vapor

Comes on, less than a minute on the field and already nearly produces a magical assist.

This guy is getting so vital for our creativity its astonishing.

A goal is on the way now... I feel it. ;)

Edit: Or not. But it's interesting how much better I feel about our chances of scoring nowadays when Cesc is on the pitch. His real value is beginning to shine through.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

Fabregas should not be the furthest forward playing for Barca which he does on more than a few occasions, he shouldn't be positioned ahead of Messi because he doesn't have the dribbling speed to go past defenders and neither is he a better finisher than either Pedro or Messi.

Cesc is better at providing assists in the final third although the fact that Iniesta has to play so much on the left in order to accomodate Cesc is a real downer, although Iniesta is proving far more effective down that flank than he did last year.

Home of Barca Fans