Cesc Fàbregas

hellsangel1

I see what you guys are saying. It works for the most part though, the primary formation of Tito's Barca seem to be some form of 451/4231

--------Busquets--
--Xavi-------------
Pedro-Fabregas-Iniesta
--------Messi---------

With Cesc and Messi swapping the 9 and 10 roles. It's devastating even when they're at 75%, like today, nevermind at their very best. Iniesta has also turned a lot more direct (with the added bonus that it doesn't seem to affect his ball retention, the freak) which seems to be helping in the attack a lot.

The only problem I have with Cesc playing the furthest forward is that he doesn't have the dribbling speed that would frighten opposing defenders like Messi or Pedro(which is why he is easy to close down for defenders) and neither is he as good a finisher as those two. Cesc is best served when he is providing passes in the final third.

Stric

To me it looks more like this, Pedro is usually a bit more in front than the others. And oddly enough, we've been discussing, Fabregas spends more time in front of Messi rather than behind him. Which is weird. But it works.

-------------Busquets-----------
---------------Xavi--------------
-------Fabregas--Messi-----------
--Pedro-----------------Iniesta---

Stric

When they're both at their average form, I don't think Cesc is any less of a finisher than Pedro, to be honest. :shrug:

hellsangel1

And oddly enough, we've been discussing, Fabregas spends more time in front of Messi rather than behind him. Which is weird. But it works-

That's something which I don't like and it should be the other way around, Messi is spending far too much time behind Cesc and it might work against certain sides and in certain situations more than others but I think we're more deadly the other way around . Particularly in the first half Messi should be making more runs and not play as deep.

big_man

To me it looks more like this, Pedro is usually a bit more in front than the others. And oddly enough, we've been discussing, Fabregas spends more time in front of Messi rather than behind him. Which is weird. But it works.

-------------Busquets-----------
---------------Xavi--------------
-------Fabregas--Messi-----------
--Pedro-----------------Iniesta---
Fabregas and Messi are usually the furthest forward out of that front six, for sure.
Pedro's average position is even further back than Iniesta's half the time, the guy is a workhorse on that wing, he plays like a right sided midfielder these days.
Agree with your Fabregas/Messi comment.

big_man

The only problem I have with Cesc playing the furthest forward is that he doesn't have the dribbling speed that would frighten opposing defenders like Messi or Pedro(which is why he is easy to close down for defenders) and neither is he as good a finisher as those two. Cesc is best served when he is providing passes in the final third.
Yup, Messi should be ahead of Cesc, like 60-70% of the time, at the moment it's like 50-50.

Stric

When it comes to things like these, I trust the team and the coaches more than I trust my own amateur judgement. They must be doing it for a reason. And as long as it's working, hey!

hellsangel1

When it comes to things like these, I trust the team and the coaches more than I trust my own amateur judgement. They must be doing it for a reason. And as long as it's working, hey!

I believe part of it could also be that Messi is pacing himself. It's a long season after all but I don't think something like this should be persisted with for too long (Messi playing as deep).

dmode

one of the resons im not a cesc fan. he forces other players out of position

That's a funny statement. You are not a fan because of this although it results in Barca, Messi and Iniesta smashing all records. Not to mention that Cesc is the third highest goals scorer and assist provider for the team.

zealot

That's something which I don't like and it should be the other way around, Messi is spending far too much time behind Cesc and it might work against certain sides and in certain situations more than others but I think we're more deadly the other way around . Particularly in the first half Messi should be making more runs and not play as deep.

I do not agree with that. IMO that just make our gameplay more predictable. By playing Messi deeper, he can either dribble from the midfield area right up to opponents goal, or just wait and pick his time to make late runs into opponents pen box. We can also use more of Cesc cute little lobs if Cesc play further forward. All this I believe is Tito's adjustments to bring more unpredictability to our game.

footyfan

Calma, calma
The amount of chances he created after coming on was unreal. Almost every forward pass released someone clean through.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Those long balls were Pirlo-esque and he's making it hard to pick a Clasico lineup. One one hand Villa is amazing, but we can't bench Iniesta. Also we need Cesc in midfield so we can't really shift it.

Home of Barca Fans