Cesc Fàbregas

Stric

He was way over-dramatic on several occasions today, made himself look bad, seriously, I'm a fan but I was annoyed by it. Having said that, there was at least 2 fouls that weren't called in his favor, including the obvious penalty at the very end. Good game by him today, made a great effort, provided a great assist, made several incredible passes as always, and made good efforts to score, as well. Unfortunately he was wearing his scoring shoes.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Had some great moments and some bad moments. I hope he cuts out the diving because as a player he is becoming increasingly vital for us.

E

estranged

Hmmm thought this was one of his weaker performances of late, he was out of place quite often and seemed reticent, throughout the first he was mostly invisible.

Vapor

When he's on point he is undoubtedly one of our strongest XI. I also thought this was quite a weak performance by him going by his recent standard, but I think that consistency will come with time. Even when he's not 100% he's still valuable, his attack-mindedness is first-class.

Stric

If Cesc was a better dribbler, the way he's playing now would be pretty much perfect. Precious opportunities are lost sometimes because he can't dribble past a defender on his own, and there's no one to pass to that far up front.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I'd say the strong defense from Malaga and the horrible pitch add to why Cesc, Iniesta, and Messi didn't look quite up to par today.

hellsangel1

I've noticed that too that he tends to go down easily in certain situations here at Barca and if you do that you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt against some refs.

I've been impressed with Cesc this season, his style of play suits under Vilanova more than it does compared to Pep. However, he should not be the furthest forward on the pitch, he doesn't have the dribbling, speed or finishing of either Messi or Pedro. It just seems like at times he's occupying Messi's place and that gets annoying. Messi or Pedro should be the one making runs and Cesc should be the one picking them out.

At times I see Fabregas making the run that Messi should be making.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I've noticed that too that he tends to go down easily in certain situations here at Barca and if you do that you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt against some refs.

I've been impressed with Cesc this season, his style of play suits under Vilanova more than it does compared to Pep. However, he should not be the furthest forward on the pitch, he doesn't have the dribbling, speed or finishing of either Messi or Pedro. It just seems like at times he's occupying Messi's place and that gets annoying. Messi or Pedro should be the one making runs and Cesc should be the one picking them out.

Trust me it's like that for a reason. All the attackers roam around to make it difficult for the defenders to stop them. That's why Cesc and Iniesta often switch positions during the game as well. This is what total football is all about.

Stric

+1 on that, Iniesta123.

Besides, I see it the other way around. It's not Fabregas who's occupying Messi's place. It's Messi's style to go so far deep into midfield, which leaves an empty spot at CF for other players to jump in and out of.

hellsangel1

+1 on that, Iniesta123.

Besides, I see it the other way around. It's not Fabregas who's occupying Messi's place. It's Messi's style to go so far deep into midfield, which leaves an empty spot at CF for other players to jump in and out of.

I think he's doing it more also because he knows that's the best way to play alongside Cesc. I've never seen Messi play as far deep so often as i've seen in recent games. He used to do that very rarely before but he seems to be doing it now more frequently.

And previously when he did use to play deep it was only on those rare occasions when he wasn't getting the ball in favourable positions or the opposition was doing a good job of pressing our midfielders so he had to go deep to get the ball for example away to Osasuna.

Last edited:

big_man

+1 on that, Iniesta123.

I think he's doing it more also because he knows that's the best way to play alongside Cesc. I've never seen Messi play as far deep so often as i've seen in recent games. He used to do that very rarely before but he seems to be doing it now more frequently.

I see what you guys are saying. It works for the most part though, the primary formation of Tito's Barca seem to be some form of 451/4231

--------Busquets--
--Xavi-------------
Pedro-Fabregas-Iniesta
--------Messi---------

With Cesc and Messi swapping the 9 and 10 roles. It's devastating even when they're at 75%, like today, nevermind at their very best. Iniesta has also turned a lot more direct (with the added bonus that it doesn't seem to affect his ball retention, the freak) which seems to be helping in the attack a lot.

Home of Barca Fans