Cesc Fàbregas

Paganinisrvnge

Iniesta is much better than Cesc but sometimes Cescs directness is much needed. Iniesta sometimes overcomplicates things and doesn't shoot when he should or waits too long to make the final pass. It's his only flaw. If Iniesta was able to give us like 10-15 goals a season then I'd say he's #2 in the world behind Messi. Meanwhile, Xavi is very conservative nowadays so it's rare for him to make killer through balls.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
How can anyone say Iniesta is not as decisive as Fàbregas? Stats don't tell everything and until there are stats for how much space players create, how well they operate in tight spaces and how many attacks they set up that eventually lead to goals, you will never be able to measure Iniesta's true genius.

The hilarious thing is that even statistically Iniesta trumps Fabregas. In the past 2 seasons combined Iniesta has racked up 31 assists. Fabregas is on 28. :VdB:

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
That's some nice theory talk there. "Different role", "make sure there are no gaps", "occasional tackle". Catalan Khedira I guess. Too bad none of that really applies. He puts in some stupid tackles because the game is too fast for his brain (and body).

Not sure how what I said is theorycrafting while what you said is a perfectly valid argument... There were a lot of moments in recent big games when we were being pressed high up the pitch and Cesc provided that extra outlet to make sure we didn't lose possession, and extra player to pressure in case we did.

Djab

SO what does he offer exactly? Its not that he isn't a good player, its that he is a different player, a player we don't really need or well can't really fit properly. Unless we play 4 in the midfield that is.

You say he is not needed when he has dropped form. Could you dare to say that when he was assisting goals left and right? Could you say that when he scored the winner against Celtic? Could you say them all???

Alik

I feel Cesc is an important part of the squad and I hope he stays for many more seasons.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Ursegor

World Champion
Not sure how what I said is theorycrafting while what you said is a perfectly valid argument... There were a lot of moments in recent big games when we were being pressed high up the pitch and Cesc provided that extra outlet to make sure we didn't lose possession, and extra player to pressure in case we did.

Not sure if we are watching the same games. He doesn't add much midfield control and "not losing possession" at all. Manchester City came attacking in Camp Nou and we had 54:46 possession numbers. El Clasico was as frentic and end-to-end a game as you will see anywhere this season. Again: no control. His "pressing" doesn't add anything. He's literally the easiest player to bypass in the entire squad. This is all that happens when he tries to press:

This 4 midfield formation is just there to please the big names, especially Fabregas, who wouldn't start a single big game if logic were to be applied.

Neymar is not comfortable on the right. He thrives on the left. Neymar on LW > Iniesta on LW.

Alexis and Pedro > Neymar on the right.

Iniesta > Mr. Fabregas in the middle.

2 natural wingers = penetrating runs behind the backline, keeping the fullbacks honest, pressing and tracking back on the flanks.

4 midfielders = Messi runs with the ball in offensive transition, stops, turns around and waits until someone bothers to occupy the left wing.

We're winning inspite of, not because of 4 midfielders. This is pretty much Tito's favourite lineup that everyone hated last season. Except Neymar instead of Pedro on the right wing. lol

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Manchester City came attacking in Camp Nou and we had 54:46 possession numbers. El Clasico was as frentic and end-to-end a game as you will see anywhere this season.

It's not about possession, it's about chances. City forced Valdes into one good save and had a late goal from a set piece, other than that we were completely in control. Real's goals and most of their dangerous chances came from Di Maria and Ronaldo on the same flank and Dani not being able to keep up with both, and a random 1 vs. 1 Ronaldo won. There are definite improvements that can be made, but for how much we attack and how few players we leave back it's a definite accomplishment.

This is all that happens when he tries to press:

Not even going to bother replying there

Alexis and Pedro > Neymar on the right.

Iniesta > Mr. Fabregas in the middle.

2 natural wingers = penetrating runs behind the backline, keeping the fullbacks honest, pressing and tracking back on the flanks.

4 midfielders = Messi runs with the ball in offensive transition, stops, turns around and waits until someone bothers to occupy the left wing.

We switched to the 4-3-3 at the end of El Clasico, and Real immediately looked more comfortable, a lot of times both Pedro and Sanchez would stop for a few seconds, then turn backwards and just drop it, as opposed to a lot of the more intricate passing we had with 4 midfielders. We looked static and a lot less threatening, and our defending wasn't noticeably better.

jamrock

about the we switch to 433 at the end of the clasico and real looked more comfortable, was it the last clasico?

serghei

Just because we happen to have Iniesta - who is clearly the best offensive midfielder in the world when he's in the mood - doesn't mean Fabregas is not good. When we decide to sell someone we need to already have the perfect replacement. You don't just sell a player like Fabregas when you don't have someone of his quality and age to replace him.

It's also the case with Alves. If we sell Alves today, I want to be sure we have someone of his quality to take his place. You don't sell a Porsche unless you already own a Ferrari or a Lambo.

H

Haruko The Goon

LEAVE MY CESCY ALONE <3

Typical scenario of you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Not his fault you're over reliant on Messi, and you never want to improve your defence! Fabregas is one of the best players on planet earth. The most assists of any player in the last 6 years!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Fabregas. Buy Ter Stegen, Buy Hummels/Benatia, promote Bartra as a 3rd CB, buy a CF. Come back stronger than ever!!!

H

Haruko The Goon

Just because we happen to have Iniesta - who is clearly the best offensive midfielder in the worldto already have the replacement. You don't just sell a player like Fabregas when you don't have someone of his quality and age to replace him.

Yaya Toure is the best Attacking Midfielder in the world. Iniesta has the skills, and the ball control. Yaya makes telling input game after game and is more consistent.

Iniesta scores big goals though. CL semi vs Chelsea, vs Real last week, vs Holland in WC final.

serghei

Yaya Toure is the best Attacking Midfielder in the world. Iniesta has the skills, and the ball control. Yaya makes telling input game after game and is more consistent.

Iniesta scores big goals though. CL semi vs Chelsea, vs Real last week, vs Holland in WC final.

Yaya Toure is a pretty good player, but the say he's the best attacking midfielder in the world is a looooooooooooong stretch. Iniesta was running the show against City in both matches. Where was Yaya? How many times did Toure put Barcelona in real danger. How many through balls did he play, how many assists did he provide for his teammates?

Home of Barca Fans