Cesc Fàbregas

Thing is that 3-4-3 is part of Barça's system though. Sometime you need to tinker with formations to get the best out of players.

We don't really have 3 good CBs though. I doubt we can pull off a 3-4-3. We should rotate players a little more, but I don't think we should change tactics or formations.

To be honest, I don't think there's really a problem with our tactics, formation or lineup. We're just off-form, and our players need a little rest. We could use a bit more rotation though.

Last edited:

Stric

I always thought that a 4-3-3 (at least the one we play) is in some ways more offensive than a 3-4-3. To be honest, though, the 3-4-3 that Barca played last seasons was more of a 3-3-4. But anyways, when Barca plays 4-3-3, there's 2 CBs keeping guard at the back, and pretty much the entire rest of the team attacking. The DM is in front of the CBs, but also pretty involved up front, the fullbacks are blazing forward like nobody's business, and then obviously you have the two MFs and the front three all attacking. In a 3-4-3 you add a MF, and lose the fullbacks. Because a genuine 3-4-3 will have 3 CBs at the back, not a CB and two fullbacks. That would make it more attacking. This way you almost strengthen the defense, while adding another MF. But with the way Barca plays the 3-4-3, it's almost as if there are 4 forwards.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I always thought that a 4-3-3 (at least the one we play) is in some ways more offensive than a 3-4-3. To be honest, though, the 3-4-3 that Barca played last seasons was more of a 3-3-4. But anyways, when Barca plays 4-3-3, there's 2 CBs keeping guard at the back, and pretty much the entire rest of the team attacking. The DM is in front of the CBs, but also pretty involved up front, the fullbacks are blazing forward like nobody's business, and then obviously you have the two MFs and the front three all attacking. In a 3-4-3 you add a MF, and lose the fullbacks. Because a genuine 3-4-3 will have 3 CBs at the back, not a CB and two fullbacks. That would make it more attacking. This way you almost strengthen the defense, while adding another MF. But with the way Barca plays the 3-4-3, it's almost as if there are 4 forwards.

Well truthfully in a 4-3-3 there should be 3 defenders guarding when the team is attacking. If the team is attacking down the right then the 2 CB's and the left back should be focused on defense and if the team is attacking down the left, it should be the 2 CB's and the right back defending. However in Barcelona this isn't always the case because Alves is always playing extremely high up the pitch regardless of whether the attack is actually channeled from his right flank. It's kind of frustrating actually because many times he is in a more advanced position than Pedro which forces him to cover for Alves, therefore limiting him in attack.

Cule4life

The Culest
Well truthfully in a 4-3-3 there should be 3 defenders guarding when the team is attacking. If the team is attacking down the right then the 2 CB's and the left back should be focused on defense and if the team is attacking down the left, it should be the 2 CB's and the right back defending. However in Barcelona this isn't always the case because Alves is always playing extremely high up the pitch regardless of whether the attack is actually channeled from his right flank. It's kind of frustrating actually because many times he is in a more advanced position than Pedro which forces him to cover for Alves, therefore limiting him in attack.

Hence the need for Montoya+Alba or Abidal+Alves or Adriano+Alves but we insist on the worst of them Alves+Alba.

Stric

Word up. With Abidal it was more balanced. But now that we have Alba on the left, and he's been immense this season, whoever's playing on the right should really be more careful than in the previous years.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Hence the need for Montoya+Alba or Abidal+Alves or Adriano+Alves but we insist on the worst of them Alves+Alba.

Exactly. It's as limiting on attack as it is crippling on defense. Alves is in great form but Montoya is simply the better option to pair with Alba.

Cule4life

The Culest
Exactly. It's as limiting on attack as it is crippling on defense. Alves is in great form but Montoya is simply the better option to pair with Alba.
Wish our management wasnt so stubborn and tried different tactics. Montoya has great mentality and doesnt get overwhelmed in big matches even at such a young age aka Varane, should be played much more

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Wish our management wasnt so stubborn and tried different tactics. Montoya has great mentality and doesnt get overwhelmed in big matches even at such a young age aka Varane, should be played much more

I have a feeling he'll play against Getafe and will help us keep a clean sheet. Dunno why, just a hunch though ;)

Vapor

[video=vimeo;29201222]http://vimeo.com/29201222#[/video]

I think this vid is actually a great example of why (whether that be in false 9 or 3-4-3 or whatever) Fabregas up front somehow is awesome! Look how great he is in that central interplay with Messi. They are both essentially the same in many ways. They are ALWAYS looking for the killing run and the killer final ball. That's why they found eachother so much last season and continue to find eachother so much this year. Look at him hooking up with Messi and Villa beautifully

(I don't think people realize how great Pep incorporated Fabregas in strengthening our attack last year... Fabregas was one of our leading scorers and assisters. And all of that happened in one half season. When Pep was experimenting with loading so many midfielders on the field, Fabregas, Messi, Xavi and Iniesta were hooking up like crazy and it was awesome. Then Fabregas started dropping form, but he was the 2nd top goalscorer for a while if I remember.)

Is it a coincidence that Fabregas is the 2nd top assister on our squad the year Messi is having the scoring record of his life? Surely not. The Messi-Fabregas vibe is strong, and their synergy has been working magic this season. It is a big thing we lose by subbing Fabregas off in favor of Iniesta or Villa.

That's why I think it would be optimal to not sacrifice neither the brilliant talents of INIESTA, Villa OR Fabregas. Play Iniesta in CM with Xavi and Busquets, Let Fab play false 9 or possibly even on a wing next to Villa and Messi (not optimal though he is best centrally).

Point being, if we can be creative enough to get both the brilliance of Cesc and the Cesc-Messi linkup with the finishing and deadliness of Villa and the bossness/godliness of Iniesta and Xavi... I think we'd be truly unstoppable and knocking back goals/clean sheets like no one's business.

Imagine Cesc, Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Villa, Busqets, Alba, Puyol/Pique, Alves/Adriano.... ALL on the form of their life, on the pitch together, at the same time.

We very well could see that spectable happen in the champion's league this season. So first of all lets just be fucking thankful in the first place haha. But secondly, if the coaches can be creative enough to somehow figure out a solution effectively utilizing all of our strongest assets, when the players hit form the tactical changes will work perfectly and it'll just be beautiful.

That's how I see it anyway. :smile160:

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

i see your points about cesc flourishing and all, and i'm a huge cesc fan, but having midfielders pick up on scoring roles was part of the reason as to why our attack looked so sterile last season (bar messi). it was a wonderful thing to have cesc start to gel in the team finally, but it also exposed our lack of clinical finishing up front that we needed (and to an extent, still need). pedro and sanchez have been pretty off all season in terms of clinical finishing and villa's role is still up in the air as far as im concerned (and looks like his dog just died all season which can't be helping media rumors). we do need to get the other forwards like tello, pedro and sanchez firing so we don't go through the same thing as we did last season, which has been to rely on midfielders like cesc, thiago, and iniesta to score goals. they are nice to have, but not sure if we can rely on them because that's not what they do primarily.

Vapor

That is very true. You're absolutely right, the having-so-many-midfielders-on situation became a weakness once we got later on in the sesaon... the goals were lacking, and Pedro/Sanchez is not sufficient.

Clinical striking is what we need right now. The inclusion of Villa, Tello, even Deulo is a much needed one, it would strengthen our attack a ton.

So the predicament is really how to get Cesc/Iniesta/Xavi/Thiago all playing in and influencing matches while also maintaining a solid striker force of finishers like Villa + Duelo/Tello + Messi.

Getting Fabregas to alternate between attacker and deeper-midfielder is the key. He is tremendously effective as AM/false 9/striker even, but he is possibly even BETTER at being a deep lying playmaker. Miraculous lob passes and long-range through balls. Cesc is versatile... so he can play either in the mid or up front, depending on what's needed. (Same with Iniesta and Messi really)

Speaking of deadly finishers/attackers... something that REALLY impresses me about Duelo is his attacking intent!! Look how attack-minded/confident/goal-minded he is. He has the skill and the confidence to BURN defenders, multiple defenders, and go for a shot. THAT is the mindset that we are missing with Alexis and Pedro now. If Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi and co. had a striker like THAT to feed balls to, they would end up in the goal a higher percentage of the time.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

agreed, great points. duelo has that 'it' factor, that killer instinct. pedro is missing it right now and i really think our strategies have made him suffer, namely working so many damn midfielders into the squad and leaving out an additional forward role like villa, tello, etc (not saying we haven't done well as a collective im just talking specifically about pedro with this).

sanchez has never had 'it' in terms of clinical finishing, so that's pardonable.

back to pedro, when the days of mvp (on form villa), ibra, and henry, there he played using stealth to run behind defenders and even through the middle when defenses didn't yet know how to cover him (fear of an open messi and or other world class finisher). now that they know this, defenders remain compact and only defend him when he is looking to make a run which is hardly ever when its solo. if we can get someone else to step up, preferably villa because he is already there and we all want him to do well again, that will force defenders to guard villa and messi and that will allow pedro to operate at his best, in stealth. right now he is far too exposed for his liking.

Home of Barca Fans