Cesc Fàbregas

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Even worse. However, somebody should tell Iniesta to stay in his position, but I doubt anyone will do this.

Are you joking.... Do you not know that the basis of Barcelona's entire philosiphy is to roam around and switch positions while linking up? Just because we're going through a slump in form doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the system. Iniesta and Cesc are not having an issue of which position to play in, it's just their form that's dipped slightly in recent games. They'll step back up soon enough.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I don't really agree with you there. While you're right in that our formation is fluid we need the width in order to stretch the play

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I don't really agree with you there. While you're right in that our formation is fluid we need the width in order to stretch the play

Well in truth that's because of the lack of strength in the wings right now. Iniesta's kind of tamed/fatigued right now and therefore in midfield more often and Pedro in the last few matches hasn't been doing well. Once they do pick up, we will play from the wings more often and therefore stretch the play.

Vapor

This is something I love about Cesc. He makes better runs behind the defense than most of our forwards.

SeloBarca

I rest my case. Iniesta steals Cesc's position all the time. Cesc playing up front is not ideal.

Cesc steals Messis position upfront forcing Messi down to midfield becouse we only have 1 playmaker with Xavi left. Even if Cesc has some assists, hes no Iniesta in keeping the ball and playmaking.

hellsangel1

Cesc is being pushed out of his position by Iniesta. Not the other way around.

This is about as pure a horse shit as anything I've read in this forum. I can understand trying to defend a player but there's no need to pull things out of the air. Anyone who isn't completely blind can see that Iniesta has been largely playing on the LW so that Cesc can play in a position he is more comfortable in. A player (Iniesta) who won the World Cup, Champions League and numerous other trophies playing in a certain position was the one who made the sacrifice. Even though Iniesta himself doesn't like playing on the LW but he will do that just because that's what the management wants from him and then to suggest Cesc gets pushed out of position by Iniesta is absolutely fucking golden but considering that early on in the season you were suggesting that Cesc should be tried out as a winger, your desperation really shines through on occasions.

People completely exaggerate this whole 'total football' thing, just because once every 20 or 25 minutes Messi drops deep or wide or Iniesta will go inside a couple of possessions doesn't mean that it's 'total football or something that they do regularly or often. They don't switch anywhere near as often as people here would like to claim. Barca don't change the normal pattern of things too much and on the occasions that Barca does switch, it's usually to give the opposing defense different looks or when the 'normal' pattern of things isn't working. Largely, Messi will play a central role and only usually drops deep when Cesc plays further forward or when he has to come back to get the ball because the opposition is doing a good job of pressing our players and he has to drop back to recieve the ball.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

The main reason why we've struggled in recent games is not because of fatigue, it's just that we haven't dealt well with our opponent's pressing who have been able to knock us out of our rhythm. Even Malaga in the first half of the Copa Del Rey tie (second leg) were able to trouble us with their pressing (before they ran out of gass) and our possession stats were down as they were in the first half against Valencia as well. I't's just unnerving to see Barca not respond well to pressing as it's something in the past we've been good at dealing with. In the recent past we've much preferred for teams to attack us rather than sit back. It's actually those that have parked the bus that have given us trouble in recent times.

In the past, we've dealt well with the pressing with our tiki-taka style of passing but with Cesc upfront, we lose some of that as we know he isn\t good in that style of play and it was evident last season.

Last edited:
Y

Youngie

hellsangel1: Iniesta is rarely staying as LW so I dunno what your point is. Anyway both Cesc & Iniesta are having arguably their best seasons ever. But keep complaining. I know you're anti-Fabregas.

Stric

This is about as pure a horse shit as anything I've read in this forum. I can understand trying to defend a player but there's no need to pull things out of the air. Anyone who isn't completely blind can see that Iniesta has been largely playing on the LW so that Cesc can play in a position he is more comfortable in. A player (Iniesta) who won the World Cup, Champions League and numerous other trophies playing in a certain position was the one who made the sacrifice. Even though Iniesta himself doesn't like playing on the LW but he will do that just because that's what the management wants from him and then to suggest Cesc gets pushed out of position by Iniesta is absolutely fucking golden but considering that early on in the season you were suggesting that Cesc should be tried out as a winger, your desperation really shines through on occasions.

People completely exaggerate this whole 'total football' thing, just because once every 20 or 25 minutes Messi drops deep or wide or Iniesta will go inside a couple of possessions doesn't mean that it's 'total football or something that they do regularly or often. They don't switch anywhere near as often as people here would like to claim. Barca don't change the normal pattern of things too much and on the occasions that Barca does switch, it's usually to give the opposing defense different looks or when the 'normal' pattern of things isn't working. Largely, Messi will play a central role and only usually drops deep when Cesc plays further forward or when he has to come back to get the ball because the opposition is doing a good job of pressing our players and he has to drop back to recieve the ball.

Your (aggressive and impolite) post just goes to show that you never even bothered to read with comprehension what I posted, but that you were just looking for something to cling onto so you could shove in everyone's face how you're right and someone else is wrong.

Everyone, including me, is aware that AM is originally Iniesta's spot and that he was pushed to the wing so we could accommodate Fabregas. Luckily, so far it's mostly been working like a charm in La Liga.

Now, if you had bothered to actually read my post instead of just immediately quoting it and going nuts over it for no reason, you would have figured out that, as I even indicated, what I said had nothing to do with the context of the club incorporating Cesc into the starting XI and pushing Iniesta out of his main position, and had everything to do exclusively with the way our team is playing on the pitch at the moment, in the lineup and formation that has long before been put together.

The only one pulling anything out of anywhere here is you pulling my words out of context. Nice job making yourself look like the one who's spreading horse shit.

Last edited:

Stric

And since Fabregas has provided several assists and scored many times coming in from the wing, as a consequence of him and Iniesta switching positions constanly, my inital suggestion about occasionally having him come in from the wing is not nearly as "desperate" as you make it out to be. I never said he should play as a winger in general. Have a look at the video Vapor posted a few posts back.

You have zero arguments.

hellsangel1

Your (aggressive and impolite) post just goes to show that you never even bothered to read with comprehension what I posted, but that you were just looking for something to cling onto so you could shove in everyone's face how you're right and someone else is wrong.

Everyone, including me, is aware that AM is originally Iniesta's spot and that he was pushed to the wing so we could accommodate Fabregas. Luckily, so far it's mostly been working like a charm in La Liga.

Now, if you had bothered to actually read my post instead of just immediately quoting it and going nuts over it for no reason, you would have figured out that, as I even indicated, what I said had nothing to do with the context of the club incorporating Cesc into the starting XI and pushing Iniesta out of his main position, and had everything to do exclusively with the way our team is playing on the pitch at the moment, in the lineup and formation that has long before been put together.

The only one pulling anything out of anywhere here is you pulling my words out of context. Nice job making yourself look like the one who's spreading horse shit.

The entire crux of your original post was to downplay Cesc's dissapointing performances in recent tough games by placing considerable blame on Iniesta and his positioning by insisting that ''Cesc is being pushed out of his position by Iniesta'' (your exact words) when in fact it has been the complete opposite. That was blatantly false and deserved to be called out. These are your exact words in the original post :

''Cesc is being pushed out of his position by Iniesta. Not the other way around. Although some might argue that exactly what's happening when looking at the big picture. But either way, if the coach puts Iniesta on LW, that's where he should play. Cesc being all over the place is the result of Iniesta not doing that'

To then somehow suggest that your words had 'nothing to do with the context of the club incorporating Cesc into the starting X1 and pushing Iniesta out of his main position' is blatantly inaccurate and a lie.

Anyways, I'm not anti-Cesc or think he should be sold or sent to the gulag or anything like that. I just find it annoying when people try to hide dissapointing performances or defecencies of a certain player and then try to mask it by blaming it on others who are actually making a sacrifice for the the team.

Last edited:

frostdude1

Villa--------Messi
------Cesc-------
--Iniesta---Xavi--
----Busquets----

...everything covered. Midfield control and attacking prowess. In this way we make the most of everything we have. The standard Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta midfield, our two best attackers, and Cesc in a position where not only all his best features will easily surface, but where he'll be able to do wonders for the forwards.

I would love to see this lineup in big games (Madrid, CL QF's and beyond)

Have we ever seen these 6 start together at once?

Indignado

hellsangel1: Iniesta is rarely staying as LW so I dunno what your point is. Anyway both Cesc & Iniesta are having arguably their best seasons ever. But keep complaining. I know you're anti-Fabregas.

Exactly. Iniesta rarely stays in his position and I can understand that, considering his strengths lie in the center of the pitch. He often breaks through on the wing against weaker opponents, but rarely against teams like Real or Valencia. Their great defense forces him to switch into the midfield all the time.

Stric

The entire crux of your original post was to downplay Cesc's dissapointing performances in recent tough games by placing considerable blame on Iniesta and his positioning by insisting that ''Cesc is being pushed out of his position by Iniesta'' (your exact words) when in fact it has been the complete opposite. That was blatantly false and deserved to be called out. These are your exact words in the original post :

''Cesc is being pushed out of his position by Iniesta. Not the other way around. Although some might argue that exactly what's happening when looking at the big picture. But either way, if the coach puts Iniesta on LW, that's where he should play. Cesc being all over the place is the result of Iniesta not doing that'

To then somehow suggest that your words had 'nothing to do with the context of the club incorporating Cesc into the starting X1 and pushing Iniesta out of his main position' is blatantly inaccurate.

Anyways, I'm not anti-Cesc or think he should be sold or sent to the gulag or anything like that. I just find it annoying when people try to hide dissapointing performances or defecencies of a certain player and then try to mask it by blaming it on others who are actually making a sacrifice for the the team.

Wrong again, but with you being as stubborn as you are, I won't bother arguing my point to you anymore.

Home of Barca Fans