Cesc Fàbregas

Indignado

I would love to see this lineup in big games (Madrid, CL QF's and beyond)

Have we ever seen these 6 start together at once?

As far as I know, we haven't. It would be great if Tito gave that formation a shot and tried different things, but he's not Pep so we shouldn't expect tactical miracles from him, which doesn't mean he's not a great coach.

F

Flavia

I would love to see this lineup in big games (Madrid, CL QF's and beyond)

Have we ever seen these 6 start together at once?

That 8-0 against osasuna last season had Villa - Messi- Cesc as front 3. The mdfs were Thiago - Busi - Xavi.

Stric

That 8-0 against osasuna last season had Villa - Messi- Cesc as front 3. The mdfs were Thiago - Busi - Xavi.

I did not remember that. Nice. Do you remember how Villa, Messi and Cesc were organized? That is, who played which position? None of them usually play RW...

Last edited:
Y

Youngie

No chance Cesc will play upfront and permanently take Messi's position. Just won't happen. Nor should it.

And if it did happen people would be complaining just like now (of Cesc "taking" someone's position).

F

Flavia

I did not remember that. Nice. Do you remember how Villa, Messi and Cesc were organized? That is, who played which position?

That I don't remember...
But there's a good video of the goals:

[video=vimeo;29201222]http://vimeo.com/29201222[/video]

Stric

No chance Cesc will play upfront and permanently take Messi's position. Just won't happen. Nor should it.

And if it did happen people would be complaining just like now (of Cesc "taking" someone's position).

Of course not. Not permanently. But Messi playing deep and cutting his way through the middle has become way too obvious, and stronger opposing teams have found a way of neutralizing it. Some of our best performances came from changing things up. The lineup I mentioned would, IMHO, come in handy every now and then, when facing difficult opponents with good defense.

Y

Youngie

Of course not. Not permanently. But Messi playing deep and cutting his way through the middle has become way too obvious, and stronger opposing teams have found a way of neutralizing it. Some of our best performances came from changing things up. The lineup I mentioned would, IMHO, come in handy every now and then, when facing difficult opponents with good defense.

I can't disagree

Y

Youngie

I did not remember that. Nice. Do you remember how Villa, Messi and Cesc were organized? That is, who played which position? None of them usually play RW...

Seemed to be 3-4-3:

——————VV—————–
Masche——Puyol——-Abidal
————Busquets————
—-Thiago—–Cesc—-Xavi—-
—Alves—Messi—-Villa—-

Stric

Yeah, I've been watching the videos, and to me it looks like Villa on the left, Messi in the middle with Cesc just behind him, and Alves on the right... smells like Pep's 3-4-3. Yup.

Y

Youngie

Yeah, I've been watching the videos, and to me it looks like Villa on the left, Messi in the middle with Cesc just behind him, and Alves on the right... smells like Pep's 3-4-3. Yup.

And possibly Cesc's best game of last season. Anyway too bad Tito flat-out refuses to use 3-4-3. Or he could use your suggestions...

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He just refuses to try anything new. Really absurd considering our enormous lead in La Liga.

That's a pretty rash thing to say. Changing the system entirely is off the table right now as we have had some pretty hard fixtures recently and we're entering the most vital part of the season. We can only rotate the squad in easier games and I doubt they will experiment with tactics until La liga is mathematically won. Also, he's been having treatment regularly and has to operate through Roura. No risk would be taken when Tito isn't even here. Also, why would we play a 3-4-3 with the current state of our defense?

xsever

That's a pretty rash thing to say. Changing the system entirely is off the table right now as we have had some pretty hard fixtures recently and we're entering the most vital part of the season. We can only rotate the squad in easier games and I doubt they will experiment with tactics until La liga is mathematically won. Also, he's been having treatment regularly and has to operate through Roura. No risk would be taken when Tito isn't even here. Also, why would we play a 3-4-3 with the current state of our defense?

Words of wisdom! Players get used to our system, not our system gets changed to fit certain players.

Y

Youngie

Thing is that 3-4-3 is part of Barça's system though. Sometime you need to tinker with formations to get the best out of players.

Home of Barca Fans