Cesc Fàbregas

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Unlikely to close any deal before the WC which means that we should all hope Cesc has a great tournament to boost his transfer kitty

Hamzah

High Definition Member
i know alot of people would love him gone, they were against him before he even played for the club and have put him down the whole time he's been here. though i think 45 million plus is good enough for a sale.

if we sell him to arsenal we get all 45 million right? because there is no percentage of the sell on fee?

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
if there was ever a time he shouldn't leave. its now.

Don't see that. It's not like he had a magical season. He again stunk it up in the second half of the season. You have some youngsters coming up, you have Iniesta for a few more years, they will most likely buy a true CM.

Truthfully Cesc is prime position to be sold and for the team to make good money off him, again, whether you disagree with him being sold or not.

i know alot of people would love him gone, they were against him before he even played for the club and have put him down the whole time he's been here. though i think 45 million plus is good enough for a sale.

if we sell him to arsenal we get all 45 million right? because there is no percentage of the sell on fee?

I think Arsenal has a first choice refusal for 30M, but it is likely that ManU, for instance, would offer more than that, so they'd have to match.

Ursegor

World Champion
Ursegor who will you sign as his replacement? Don't say Rafinha

As I said before, I don't think he got many minutes on merit. Answer me this. Did you believe Fabregas should have played false 9 in Messi's absence? In the major competitions he started 10 games as a striker and had a couple more coming in as a sub. Or did you want Alexis or Neymar to play there like any other person not named Tata has been crying out for? That's a dozen games where we didn't need him. At all. Answer me also this: Did you want the 4 midfielder lineup with Neymar on the right wing and Iniesta on the left wing? No? Then that's about half a dozen games where we didn't need him but forced him into the lineup as well. This leaves us with the "easier" games where he was indeed useful with tons of space where he racked up goals and assists. Games we can win without him either and games where next season I'd rather give the minute to Rafinha to develop him.

Your question would make sense if Cesc had taken Xavi's role and proven to work alongside Iniesta. Which he hasn't and never will. When he arrived in this club he didn't even know how to move into space. Pep was telling him that he was running too much. Cesc's own words. Looking like a lost lamb. "But ... but ... but ... he plays 1 key pass per game DERP." How people expect someone like that to organize Barca's midfield and succeed Xavi is beyond me.

Xavi isn't completely finished. When rested intelligently he can contribute in about 25 - 30 game in a season still. Lucho said he sees Mascherano as a DM. That gives more options in easier games:

Mascherano-Busquets-Iniesta
Mascherano-Xavi-Rafinha
Busquets-Xavi-Rafinha
Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta
Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta + Rafinha RM (like D. Silva for Spain)
4-2-3-1 with Busquets-Mascherano and Messi behind 3 forwards

Endless options. We can cope for another season and then see how Gündogan recovers at Dortmund. Fabregas is not an integral part of this team.

Here's my alternative suggestion: Sell Iniesta. Then we can play Fabregas in a position where he's half comfortable and where it makes sense.

DinhoR10

Selling Cesc is an issue of whether you trust Rafinha to take the reins or the board trusts itself enough to find a replacement. Now should we sell Cesc? Probably not if Iniesta is no 1 then he's no 2 and theres no point in giving up world class talent especially since he seems to be ok with a somewhat subdued role. And iniesta is bound to get injured sometime in the season since everyone tries to hack his feet away. Rafinha has the potential to make the cm role his own but its too risky to leave ourselves with no other options.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
rafinha is not good enough yet to replace cesc, there'd be a big drop off in the quality of our midfield. for now i want rafinha to take sergio roberto's role. keep cesc until we have found a more suitable player. if we find a new midfielder we can sell cesc this window and use the money for that new player.

edit - well said dinho

Ursegor

World Champion
If you worry about depth in case of injuries, Fabregas makes even less sense. He's bitched multiple times about playing time even when he was starting regularly more then people wanted. Buy some low profile all-around midfielder in the mould of Keita then.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We should not sell Cesc until we have a replacement who is as good or even better in place for him first.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Selling Cesc is an issue of whether you trust Rafinha to take the reins or the board trusts itself enough to find a replacement. Now should we sell Cesc? Probably not if Iniesta is no 1 then he's no 2 and theres no point in giving up world class talent especially since he seems to be ok with a somewhat subdued role. And iniesta is bound to get injured sometime in the season since everyone tries to hack his feet away. Rafinha has the potential to make the cm role his own but its too risky to leave ourselves with no other options.

Thing is, Barcelona have much more need of a true CM than they do of Cesc. For Cesc's position they have Iniesta, they'll have Rafinha (who is as versatile as versatile players come), we cannot forget Suarez promotion. That's depth for that position without Cesc.

For the CM, only Xavi and the Rafinha experiment. There is much more need for a CM and if selling Cesc can finance the purchase of a CM, IMO that's what the team should do.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
If you worry about depth in case of injuries, Fabregas makes even less sense. He's bitched multiple times about playing time even when he was starting regularly more then people wanted. Buy some low profile all-around midfielder in the mould of Keita then.

our midfield would be way too weak then. IMO the dm spot is locked up with busi and masch. for xavi position we must have xavi and the new player (quality player that can control a game). the other spot is iniesta's and as he gets older introduce suarez/halilovic.

until we get a new midfielder that can control a game, it makes no sense to sell cesc for a all around depth player like you are suggesting. rafinha will fill that.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Look forward to his departure, never wanted him here in the first place...Least the club can do is finally make a profit on his sale

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
our midfield would be way too weak then. IMO the dm spot is locked up with busi and masch. for xavi position we must have xavi and the new player (quality player that can control a game). the other spot is iniesta's and as he gets older introduce suarez/halilovic.

until we get a new midfielder that can control a game, it makes no sense to sell cesc for a all around depth player like you are suggesting. rafinha will fill that.

But like I said, selling Cesc can finance the new CM. If the team gets anywhere from 30M plus from Cesc, that's enough money to go get a quality CM.

Home of Barca Fans