Cesc Fàbregas

DB10

What's so funny man?

Because why would Man City do it? Kompany is one of the rocks if not THE rock of the club. Plus he's one of few players who has a genuine affinity for the club, since he was there before the oil money. This isn't Football Manager...

You can see Kompany wanting to move in the future, play in another league, experience a new culture, play for a huge club like Barca or Real etc...but I imagine the Sheikh has plans to win the CL, and you don't do that by getting rid of the likes of Kompany.

J

José Mourinho

Because why would Man City do it? Kompany is one of the rocks if not THE rock of the club. Plus he's one of few players who has a genuine affinity for the club, since he was there before the oil money. This isn't Football Manager...

You can see Kompany wanting to move in the future, play in another league, experience a new culture, play for a huge club like Barca or Real etc...but I imagine the Sheikh has plans to win the CL, and you don't do that by getting rid of the likes of Kompany.

I wrote that it's not very likely but would be great for us. I thought you mean that it would be a bad deal for us.
I think he was one of the first signings after the takeover.

EDIT: There is Txiki Begiristain in power, he's a pundit in doing bad deals so there a little bit of hope :neymar:

Last edited:

DB10

I wrote that it's not very likely but would be great for us. I thought you mean that it would be a bad deal for us.
I think he was one of the first signings after the takeover.

No it would be amazing for Barca! but laughable from the point of Man City. Hmmm maybe my memory if off but I'm pretty sure he was signed just before takeover.

slvtn

I'd be really sad if Cesc would leave. Considering all the news that showed up in the last few days it could be real.

Vapor

I believe Cesc deserves to stay and get more time. I really don't think he's as bad as many here make him out to be. Yes, he has fallen off during the 2nd half of each season he's played with us, but there are also other factors going into that such as being played out of position, collective team failure/collapse, etc. Perhaps there is a mental block component to that now after 3 seasons, but I'm hopeful he can overcome that.

Although he has mostly performed exceptionally against "smaller" teams, La Liga is still a very important competition, and Cesc has played a big part in helping us out grind out those Liga wins even when Xavi and Iniesta were underwhelming at times. No matter the fact that he hasn't performed as well in big games overall, the fact that he consistently been in the top 2-3 assisters and scorers on the team all seasons he's been with us has to say something. Also, most of the times he does play against big teams, he is playing alongside 3 other midfielders or as a false 9.

Point being - I think to say Cesc is trash or not capable of contributing positively to Barcelona is just false. True, he does not have the absolute midfield control and command of Xavi (no one does), nor the finesse and speed that Iniesta has, but he is still a world class midfielder with his own set of positive attributes he brings to the table when he is on top form, which are invaluable. If we can't get someone equal to or better than Fabregas, then I think we should keep him and continuing trying to get the best out of him.

I hope that Cesc stays and that Lucho puts his confidence. Our entire attacking play needs revamping, and I believe Lucho will be great at helping bring that back. If we have our strikers making aggressive runs behind the defense and more dynamic, intelligent combos up front, then Cesc's natural abilities will be able to fully shine and he will be able to thread those through balls and get into those shooting positions that he is great at doing.

He really does seem to have his heart at Barca. I'd be sad if he left, and I really don't know if we'd be able to get another world class midfield that is at least equal to or greater than him. Then again, he has been underwhelming on the big stage for some consistent time now, so I can understand the "hate", but if we can't get anyone truly world class and better, I think we can still dig more out of him.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

He's not trash. He just doesn't fit in Barça. He hasn't found a clear role in 3 seasons. And he has played mf, but 3 different coaches would play Xavi ahead of him.

Antimadridista1

He's not trash. He just doesn't fit in Barça. He hasn't found a clear role in 3 seasons. And he has played mf, but 3 different coaches would play Xavi ahead of him.

We allowed the "closest" player to Xavi leave (Thiago) for 25m euro and now we want to replace both him and Fabregas by Koke who costs 60m … Can't believe it , Zubizarreta is so unprofessional, this is just crazy.

Vapor

Yea, I can understand that. As some one who has liked Cesc for a while and been rooting for him to succeed, it really doesn't look like he's found a definite place for sure yet.

Dont really have any objection to that perspective, only thing I would say is that with some more time, he might be able to figure it out and really shine. Then again, maybe he doesn't have it in him. I don't know. But unless we get someone = or > than him then I don't see what option we have to but to keep him and hope for the best.

J

José Mourinho

We allowed the "closest" player to Xavi leave (Thiago) for 25m euro and now we want to replace both him and Fabregas by Koke who costs 60m … Can't believe it , Zubizarreta is so unprofessional, this is just crazy.

It's not 'allowed', there was a buy-out clause and he wanted to join Bayern!

F

Flavia

It's not 'allowed', there was a buy-out clause and he wanted to join Bayern!

Some believe he was forced out, so they could get money to sign T Silva. Clubs have the habit of making it seem a player wants out, when they're forcing them to leave. I personally don't believe Cesc wants to go, he's being forced out. But there are a lot of "news" saying HE wants to go back to the PL.

J

José Mourinho

Maybe the club force Fabregas out but it's normal after he joined us as boy wonder and failed 3 seasons!
The club didn't force Thiago out. He probably wanted more playtime and join his mentor.

Tomchin

Why do people keep complaining about Thiago? What's done is done, we can't change that anymore. Besides, every party was at fault for that transfer (not only Zubinepto, but also Thiago himself), yet people keep acting as if Thiago was some kind of saint who got pushed out the club. "My dream is not to triumph at Barca, but to triumph in football", seems like everyone quickly forgot about Thiago's infamous quote of some years earlier.

Antimadridista1

Why do people keep complaining about Thiago? What's done is done, we can't change that anymore. Besides, every party was at fault for that transfer (not only Zubinepto, but also Thiago himself), yet people keep acting as if Thiago was some kind of saint who got pushed out the club. "My dream is not to triumph at Barca, but to triumph in football", seems like everyone quickly forgot about Thiago's infamous quote of some years earlier.

Because he was the perfect replacement for Xavi and our staff acted like newbies, and some of us ( me for example) still can't swallow his departure.
Of course what's done is done, but I wanted to underscore the fact that the one who should've left last summer was Fabregas, not Thiago. Now both of them won't wear our shirt next season.

Home of Barca Fans