Cesc Fàbregas

F

Flavia

Cesc's problems were never his "stats". More that he is slow, can't defend and everything else debated to death here. In chelsea he has a lot more cover. Even if his stats drop in the 2nd half of the season, he fits the epl much better. He was smart to ask to leave.

footyfan

Calma, calma
B4VveSJIYAAq9mX.jpg
B4VveZWIMAAJEig.jpg

Holy shit! What a player!

All pretty much irrelevant stats. Hazard has 1 or 2 assists but is clearly the main man creatively in this Chelsea side.

Cesc's like the 4th best Chelsea player atm, after Hazard, Matic and Costa.

Samuel Eto'o

Cesc's problems were never his "stats". More that he is slow, can't defend and everything else debated to death here. In chelsea he has a lot more cover. Even if his stats drop in the 2nd half of the season, he fits the epl much better. He was smart to ask to leave.

That is why Chelsea is the best team for him. Jose has a defensive mind and he has the players around him to cover for him.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
The second half of the season will determine whether or not it's a problem with Cesc or if Barca screwed him. We got 6 more months to find that out. I personally won't count a dip in form as part of the problem if he ends up playing well again.

It happened at Arsenal too.

serghei

All pretty much irrelevant stats. Hazard has 1 or 2 assists but is clearly the main man creatively in this Chelsea side.

Cesc's like the 4th best Chelsea player atm, after Hazard, Matic and Costa.

Fabregas is the best passer-playmaker in the Premier League at the moment. And the best player from Chelsea after Hazard. Costa is doing so well because he has Cesc behind him.

Last edited:

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I know most Barca fans hate him but I for one miss him. Another playmaker in the team would lessen our reliance on Messi.

Hate? Don't think many Barca fans 'hate' him. I don't really want him back because he didn't really fit into the way we played, but from the looks of it I don't like the we play at the moment. We could have reinvented ourselves a little, instead we try to do what Pep, but it's just a bad copy - like one of those Rolex watches you can buy on Khaosan Road in Bangkok. Instead of using Cesc's strengths we forced him to play like Xavi. Was he superfast on the ball and great in tight spaces? Not really. Was he great at other stuff, sure he was. Did we use those qualities? Not often.

Empty

In my dreams Cesc would still be playing for Barca.

Best CM in the world and people here scoff at him when he's played incorrect/in the wrong position all the fucking time, LOL.

serghei

Maybe not the best CM in the world, but surely up there in the best 5 playmakers in today's football. You just can't afford to sell this type of player after Thiago left and after Xavi stepped down from the spotlight given his age. It was time for a coach to trust Fabregas and play him as the frontman in midfield. Messi dropping this deep is detrimental to the team. Everything that happens to the team now, tactics or no tactics, shows we need a playmaker. Last year, I remember us playing diamond 4-4-2 at some point and winning a couple of deadly games. That win on the Ettihad seems very underrated now, but it was one of the biggest away win this team had in CL in the last years, maybe right after the 2-0 on Bernabeu a few years back.

Also, our performance in the clasico was on another level, precisely because we controlled the midfield, and Cesc was a part in that midfield and gave us fluidity as well as great passes. Fabregas was excellent in a number of important games last season. Absolutely horrendous move by the board and Lucho. I'm pretty sure they also regret it now given the team's lack of quality in that area that Cesc occupied. No matter how you put it, love Cesc or hate Cesc, ask 100 experts in world football who's the better midfielder between Cesc and Rakitic, and 90 of them or even more will say it's the former.

Last edited:

serghei

Regarding Cesc and his underrating by Barca fans in particular. Here is Iniesta's goal from Madrid - Barca 3-4, one of the most important games from the 2nd part of the season last year. The goal came after a sequence of two-touches moments from each player involved in the build-up (only Messi has a little extra touch).

So, to read the video -->

1. Xavi to Neymar

Xavi initiates the play. Passes it to Neymar who's not in the wing (!) here, but being involved in the center play (we don't even have a center play now). Neymar oddly, doesn't capture the ball, but releases it quick, not allowing the opponent to foul him without getting the yellow (we all know Neymar draws few yellows compared with how often he's being fouled).

2. Neymar to Cesc

It's very interesting here. So, Neymar releases the ball fast and gives it to Cesc. If you check on the video, Cesc is surrounded by 3 RM players. A less creative midfielder would've passed the ball to Alves, who's free, but in the wing. If he had passed it to Alves, the play would've been dead. Alves would've either crossed to nobody or returned the ball back in the midfield (then resulting in a loop that wouldn't have brought us nothing, and the space we created with our movement would've been compressed by RM with ease). But Fabregas plays a split ball, between the lines of Madrid's defence. He takes 4 RM players out with that apparently simple through ball. But it's not simple at all, it is a perfectly timed quick pass. The pass gives Messi the space he needs to open up the play and thus exploiting the space created by this sequence of motions (Xavi-Neymar-Cesc).

3. Cesc to Messi

So, the ball gets to Messi, who draws Carvajal in the center (Xavi is attacking himself, so Carvajal is facing 3 options: either Messi takes the action on his own, and he often does that, or he passes it to Xavi in the center, or he passes it to Iniesta out wide). It's 3 vs 3 now, Pepe, Ramos and Carvajal vs Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. Note that Ramos is pretty far away, Modric is behind also. So, it's more like 2 vs 3 in practice.

Anyway, I selected this play because everyone saw what Messi and Iniesta did, when, in fact, Xavi, Neymar and Cesc are all part of this classic tiki-taka play that annihilated Madrid.

Rewind to this day. This kind of build-up play is impossible now because we don't have the players to create that much fluidity in the center area of the field (with all due respect with Rakitic, he is not as technically gifted as Cesc is, nor as creative or as intelligent), because we don't have the same pass and move philosophy. We just give the ball to Neymar, Messi and Suarez and wait for them to do something.

I never tough I'd say this but I miss Tata. He is way supperior to Lucho. Way superior.

BTW, Check where Messi's position is in this play. It's basically a 2 men partnership in offence, Messi-Neymar, supported by a 4 men diamond composed by Busi-Xavi-Iniesta-Cesc. That's Messi's spot. A no9 who goes back often. Not a no10 or a no8 that goes up often.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Maybe not the best CM in the world, but surely up there in the best 5 playmakers in today's football. You just can't afford to sell this type of player after Thiago left and after Xavi stepped down from the spotlight given his age. It was time for a coach to trust Fabregas and play him as the frontman in midfield. Messi dropping this deep is detrimental to the team. Everything that happens to the team now, tactics or no tactics, shows we need a playmaker. Last year, I remember us playing diamond 4-4-2 at some point and winning a couple of deadly games. That win on the Ettihad seems very underrated now, but it was one of the biggest away win this team had in CL in the last years, maybe right after the 2-0 on Bernabeu a few years back.

Also, our performance in the clasico was on another level, precisely because we controlled the midfield, and Cesc was a part in that midfield and gave us fluidity as well as great passes. Fabregas was excellent in a number of important games last season. Absolutely horrendous move by the board and Lucho. I'm pretty sure they also regret it now given the team's lack of quality in that area that Cesc occupied. No matter how you put it, love Cesc or hate Cesc, ask 100 experts in world football who's the better midfielder between Cesc and Rakitic, and 90 of them or even more will say it's the former.

The problem was not selling Cesc, it was not buying a good replacement for Xavi (I am not even a Cesc hater)

Home of Barca Fans