Champions League

serghei

However, if Liverpool make a CL - EPL double, I'd have them as equals. This would also elevate current Liverpool right next to Zidane Madrid.

RF20

Banned
Pep has had easier jobs. Klopp has immensely tough jobs.

From a historical standpoint, people value trophies a lot so Pep would be higher right now.

But I wouldn't want Pep over Klopp at my club at all.

The way Klopp can build up fallen giants with reasonable budget and a good style of play(hey purist) is second to none.

Many people rate Klopp higher.

Klopp makes average players world class

RF20

Banned
nothing really changed, Ancelotti is intent on not only sticking with the 4-3-3, but also with the same MCK midfield. I think PSG will punish them for this, Verratti will once again own that midfield. Asensio or Rodrygo (probably Asensio) to play up front alongside Vini and Benzema. Militao and Alaba as center backs.

Surely it has to change a bit. Atleast the tactics.

I mean they created NOTHING in the 1st leg.

They'll need to attack more

serghei

Pep had easier jobs, but his Barcelona basically coined the high line, aggressive press, fluid football that most top teams play today. It's not a mere coincidence that tier 1 german managers cite Pep's Barca as inspiration. Pep is more influential and unique.

As far as tactics, man-management, they are virtually indistinguishable (less so on tactics admittedly) and equal greats.

KingLeo10

Pep has had easier jobs. Klopp has immensely tough jobs.

From a historical standpoint, people value trophies a lot so Pep would be higher right now.

But I wouldn't want Pep over Klopp at my club at all.

The way Klopp can build up fallen giants with reasonable budget and a good style of play(hey purist) is second to none.

Many people rate Klopp higher.

Klopp makes average players world class

Klopp also totally lost control at Dortmund at the end in a way Pep never has.

If you want to talk about CL bottlejobs from Pep (which of course is one of his few weaknesses, Klopp has some of his own (Europe league final, early CL exits to meh AM and RM sides). I've been on the record saying Klopp is probably the manager I'd choose for CL KOs but you're out here painting him as infalliable and using generics like "makes average players world class" instead of presenting quantifiable evidence on why he's another level than Pep (if you think Klopp is better that's fine, but you paint it as a non comparison)

RF20

Banned
Pep had easier jobs, but his Barcelona basically coined what most top teams play today. It's not a mere coincidence that tier 1 german managers cite Pep's Barca as inspiration. Pep is more influential and unique.

Not many teams play/can afford to play Pep style. It needs superior quality and budget.

It's Cruyff's style anyways.

If anything Klopp's pressing is what we see many teams attempt these days

serghei

Is it weird that I still don't rate Zidane THAT highly as a manager?!

Tactically he's as basic as they get, but he has a special allure that makes him very charismatic, commanding, and calm at the same time. He's an excellent manager of individuals because he himself as a player was a very odd mix. A quarter genius, a quarter lazy, a quarter crazy, a quarter leader. Because he was a complex player, he knows how to deal with complex locker rooms and different personalities.

If you have a team full of difficult characters that are great players and individually gifted, he'll make it work. Pep and Klopp would be a terrible fit for that. Just like Zidane would have difficulties with players who individually aren't that awesome.

My bet is Zidane would fit like a glove at PSG.

RF20

Banned
Tactically he's as basic as they get, but he has a special allure that makes him very charismatic, commanding, and calm at the same time. He's an excellent manager of individuals because he himself as a player was very an odd mix. A quarter genius, a quarter lazy, a quarter crazy, a quarter leader. Because he was a complex player, he knows how to deal with complex locker rooms and different personalities.

Great man manager that commands respect

serghei

Not many teams play/can afford to play Pep style. It needs superior quality and budget.

It's Cruyff's style anyways.

If anything Klopp's pressing is what we see many teams attempt these days

It's modernized and tweaked Cruyff style, yes. And that style was later Germanized by Klopp, Naggelsmann, and partly Tuchel.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Klopp also totally lost control at Dortmund at the end in a way Pep never has.

If you want to talk about CL bottlejobs from Pep (which of course is one of his few weaknesses, Klopp has some of his own (Europe league final, early CL exits to meh AM and RM sides). I've been on the record saying Klopp is probably the manager I'd choose for CL KOs but you're out here painting him as infalliable and using generics like "makes average players world class" instead of presenting quantifiable evidence on why he's another level than Pep (if you think Klopp is better that's fine, but you paint it as a non comparison)

Can't blame him for atletico though, his team had over 30 shots but just couldn't score more than 2 goals in Anfield. Against Real it was bad luck, his best player got injured so we can't say it was a bottle job.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I'll take Peak Mourinho above both though.

What he did with Porto and Inter is absolutely insane.

Peak Mou was class, even with Real he has been succcesful. Winning la liga against Pep barca is a huge achievement. Also won PL with Chelsea. It's a pity what has happened after that with him.

gregorrin10

Surely it has to change a bit. Atleast the tactics.

I mean they created NOTHING in the 1st leg.

They'll need to attack more

Sure, they'll be more attacking, but I don't believe in a formation or personnel change from Carlo. I assume that's what you were asking about.

KingLeo10

Can't blame him for atletico though, his team had over 30 shots but just couldn't score more than 2 goals in Anfield. Against Real it was bad luck, his best player got injured so we can't say it was a bottle job.

Pep's had a couple of exits where he dominated the tie but got trolled...also against AM in 2016 and Spurs in 2019. Even in his Barca tenure, that Chelsea 2012 tie.

Home of Barca Fans