CL | Round of 16: PSG - FC Barcelona (5-2 agg)

fergus90

I do not rate De Jong as a CB whatsoever. Gets easily pulled out of position. Plus he’s the engine in midfield.

behindbrowneyes

I do not rate De Jong as a CB whatsoever. Gets easily pulled out of position. Plus he’s the engine in midfield.

Same here.

Most important thing is hard pressing from all players though. Busi between the two CBs has always been a common thing when we had the ball and you don't really can say how this will look once PSG has the ball. It really is a hybrid line-up and could be 4 at the back or 3 at the back.

Not really a fan of Griezmann and his output in such games, but let's face the fact that Umtiti was the alternative to him. I'm sure Griezmann would sit on the bench today if one of Araujo and Pique were fit today.

serghei

It's a good idea to put 4 in the middle. The problem is that the midfield with the 4 really needs to be in control, because otherwise, it's gonna be 3 vs 3, and their 3 will smoke our defenders.

Bobo32

Already confirmed.

EwI13C7XMAAxGpQ

Nothing but the players, who fit right into a 4-3-3, is confirmed right?

Bobo32

It's a good idea to put 4 in the middle. The problem is that the midfield with the 4 really needs to be in control, because otherwise, it's gonna be 3 vs 3, and their 3 will smoke our defenders.

This "3-4-3" would not be as Cruyffs 3-4-3 diamond, but with Dest and Alba as "midfielders". It would be the same 5-2-3 they tried some games in the fall, with a good result but bad play in the first game. It is almost the worst way possible to line these players up.

gregorrin10

Will be really disappointed if this is 4-3-3. I really wanted us to at least try the 3 at the back formation in the first half at least. Really need Alba and Dest to push up as high as they can. But damn, when both Pique and Araujo are injured we can't really do anything else, we simply don't have the numbers.

Unless this is 3-4-3 but then we lose De Jong in midfield which is even worse. It could be Busquets playing center CB, but that would bring a whole host of new problems with his slowness. Hopefully the team gives it their all, maybe we can press hard enough and our midfeild dominate them hard enough that 4-3-3 works, although with Busi there I don't have much hope for that. In any case, I'd play Messi at CAM and Dembele and Grizzi up front, use Dembele's speed, don't push him out to the wing, especially when Griezmann is shit there too. If they're playing as wingers, i'm gonna be pissed.

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

Having Dembele and Griezmann guarantees a 4-3-3.

Not necessarily. Could also be that Koeman wants Poch to think that. Could be Messi behind Griezmann-Dembele duo which would make more sense as Dembouz' pace could hurt them more in the center than on the wing as seen of lately.

Bobo32

Will be really disappointed if this is 4-3-3. I really wanted us to at least try the 3 at the back formation in the first half at least. Really need Alba and Dest to push up as high as they can. But damn, when both Pique and Araujo are injured we can't really do anything else, we simply don't have the numbers.

Unless this is 3-4-3 but then we lose De Jong in midfield which is even worse. It could be Busquets playing center CB, but that would bring a whole host of new problems with his slowness. Hopefully the team gives it their all, maybe we can press hard enough and our midfeild dominate them hard enough that 4-3-3 works, although with Busi there I don't have much hope for that. In any case, I'd play Messi at CAM and Dembele and Grizzi up front, use Dembele's speed, don't push him out to the wing, especially when Griezmann is shit there too. If they're playing as wingers, i'm gonna be pissed.

This won't be the 3-5-2 they've tried with some success, if Messi or Griezmann isn't played as a straight CM.
But it is true that it might very well be Busquets in the CB position, which will be slightly better than FdJ in this setup; Frenkie will handle being a double pivote a bit better than Busquets. But the Pedri+Frenkie duo will be run over, they won't be available for the pass, most play will go through the flanks where our worst players are, and they will have no real alternatives.

Home of Barca Fans