CL semis: Bayern - Barca 3-2 (3-5 agg.)

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
As long we don't concede in the first leg, I will be very very happy.

Bayern has Neuer, the best keeper in the world. Very hard to get past him. He saved Bayern's ass so many times. One of the reason I think they are more favorite.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Anyway my point is we should go all out during the entire 90 mins. In every important match we play conservative after scoring 1 or 2 goals. Trying to defend that lead, we should't do that against bayern. That is what i mean, not that bayern are super weak right now or we can easily thrash them. They are not at their best right now and it would logical thing to do to score as many goals as possible. Instead trying to defend 1 goal advantages. 1 goal advantage means nothing imo while playing second match away.

I expect this 1st tie against Bayern to be the first time we see the team (and most importantly MSN) go all in with no intention of slowing down at any point.

We would be foolish not to, not now that Neymar is back to form, Messi is fresh (??how??lol) again, and Suarez.. well, is Suarez!

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
As long we don't concede in the first leg, I will be very very happy.

Bayern has Neuer, the best keeper in the world. Very hard to get past him. He saved Bayern's ass so many times. One of the reason I think they are more favorite.

Neuer is definitely their best asset, but Ter Stegen isn't bad either against Bayern, I think we're also covered.

Also, Neuer won't be able to stop everything, as good as he is.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Fucking city scored 3 goals against bayern.. i don't know why we should't expect our team to win at least 2-0. They don't need to be getafe bad to be able to do that.

serghei

Equal to 1-0? No I don't think that's a great result. By the time of the second leg, Bayern will have more players back and have home advantage. They can definitely win by a 2 goal margin against Barca.

No, Barca need to wrap up the tie by the first leg. 2-0+ would be ideal.

The importance of not conceding at home is not to be treated lightly IMO. 1-0 is a very good result and it gives you options. If you score in Munich Bayern will have to score 3 goals.

Icarium

Lifestealer
1-0 is better than 3-1, that is for sure. Not conceding is very important. But 2-0 would mean a great advantage and we are capable of scoring 2 goals and defending bayern attacks.

DennyCrane

That is indeed a very interesting question, especially with all the Müller-Wohlfahrt drama. Many of us suspected BVB of training just wrong or that it had to do with them losing that very renowned fitness coach whose name I don't remember right now.
MAybe Pep and his stuff simply demand too much in training when it comes to running and pressing? Rushing players back from injury also doesn't help a lot I suppose... MW was always a proponent of taking things "slowly"...

Might be where the conflict has it's roots, who knows.

Put yourself in Pep's shoes and suddenly you see dilemmas all over the place:

Lowering the intensity in training preserves health, on the other hand it's a basic requirement to internalize playing sequences in an intense playstyle. And it's required to somehow keep a healthy level of stress in the team, especially when Bayern seemingly is about to win the league in late November, metaphorically speaking.

Then you have players who are essential to what the coach wants the team to play. Fielding these players though every match might guarentee short term success, but the injury risk is unproportionally increased. Yet not fielding them or resting them might get them out of playing rhythm and leads to them falling into discontent with the man management. Coupled with the fact that one of these essential players, Robben, is known to be a glass cannon.

The same goes basically for the general tactical setup, it requires permanent compromise between what the coach knows works, and player fatigue and injury risk. And as a consequence, the question arises whether the coach should abandon a tactical setup he knows is perfect because it might be too physically draining for the players. Extreme example here is Bielsa, who basically leads players far beyond their physical possibilities with the idea in his mind to play it perfect. And to be honest, Pep is not that far off of Bielsa's ideas at all.
All these conflicting ideas result in borderline absurd situations like the Thiago - Robben sub yesterday, which for me illustrates perfectly what happens when it all goes wrong. Basically the idea was to sacrifice control in midfield and increasing the speed of transition while preserving Thiago for the Barca tie. All the while changing the tactical setup. Yet the end result is having Thiago not on the pitch to take a penalty, losing the tie and Robben in the hospital.

Point being: The condition in which both teams find themselves in at the moment is the result of made decisions and not chance or accident. Simply a matter of causality.
In delimitation of what Pep did and did not do, Lucho took a different approach: Constant rotation and shuffling the lineup was a huge gamble; the team played sub-par till at least December, Lucho got a lot of flak for it and I wouldn't be surprised if our management was already looking to replace him by summer. He took a huge risk, even individually regarding his future career, and it paid off: At this point, Barca is firing on all cylinders. And that is what I reckon to be an achievement in itself. Which is why I don't think that the current injury situation would in any way belittle a Barca victory over Bayern at this point.

footyfan

Calma, calma
1-0 is better than 3-1, that is for sure. Not conceding is very important. But 2-0 would mean a great advantage and we are capable of scoring 2 goals and defending bayern attacks.

In what way is 1-0 better than a 3-1? With a 1-0 result, you lose with a 3-1 result in the second leg. But with a 3-1 first leg result, it will go to extra time.

3-1 is always better than 1-0.

nvm you just made a mistake.

FCBayern

Fucking city scored 3 goals against bayern.. i don't know why we should't expect our team to win at least 2-0. They don't need to be getafe bad to be able to do that.

Apparently you didn't watch the game. Bayern was playing with 10 men for most of the game and put City into such a pressure that the English commentator kept saying 'I don't understand which team is playing with a man less.." and if not for 2 silly mistakes from Alonso and Schweini, similar to the away Porto game, in the last minutes, the result would have been different. However Bayern was already first on the group and despite playing with 10 men away, never let City get into their game. So there is no correlation at all here. Anything can happen of course, but it has nothing to do with any of the previous games. One thing I can say is that Bayern likes to play against teams that attack them, although this happens very rarely.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Apparently you didn't watch the game. Bayern was playing with 10 men for most of the game and put City into such a pressure that the English commentator kept saying 'I don't understand which team is playing with a man less.." and if not for 2 silly mistakes from Alonso and Schweini, similar to the away Porto game, in the last minutes, the result would have been different. However Bayern was already first on the group and despite playing with 10 men away, never let City get into their game. So there is no correlation at all here. Anything can happen of course, but it has nothing to do with any of the previous games. One thing I can say is that Bayern likes to play against teams that attack them, although this happens very rarely.

Silly mistakes huh?
The same silly mistakes bayern did against porto?
If they make these silly mistakes against barca MSN will have a party.

Home of Barca Fans