CL semis: Bayern - Barca 3-2 (3-5 agg.)

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Could be just mind games. Today at a store in Barcelona I was chatting with a clerk about our upcoming games and Lewandowski's injury, that Catalan clerk pointed to his head, shrugged it off and said "Well, Guardiola does these kind of things". ;)

But Bayern don't. They would never lie about something that serious. Also don't forget that he was in a public hospital. Do you think Bayern bribed the responsible doc to lie to the media? :lol:
No, remember Ockham's razor. The most simple and obvious explanation is usually the correct one. No conspiracy to be found.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Good post. Had almost overlooked it if it weren't for Bojan.
Well, Jupp was also far from being a fan of implementing rotation, they also must have had high intensity in their training sessions as we both know that he created the most insane pressing machine the world of football has seen in the past 10 years. That requires tons of training and as much intensity as the player's bodies can be squeezed for. But other than Kroos, Bayern really didn't have any noteworthy injuries for a long time in their juggernaut season.
So while your thoughts seem perfectly logical, it also raises the question whether Jupp just got luck-of-the-Irish style lucky in that season or not.

I don't completely agree with DennyCrane. Of course, training regimen and play time do have an impact on the likelihood of injuries, but there are so many variables on the pitch every game that the dominant cause of nightmare situations like this is always going to be luck. Once you do get that shitty luck though, it is imperative to manage recoveries properly and this is what I think Pep messed up this year.

I agree with you that Jupp got relatively lucky in 12/13. I'd already mentioned in another thread, but Bayern were way more intense not only pressing-wise and on the pitch, but they kept that intensity until the final round of Bundesliga fixtures, inspite of the fact that they were going to set a points record and had wrapped up the league ages ago. Similarly, Pep did not rest anyone at all until the very last 2-3 weeks in 10/11 when Barca won the CL. He got lucky too.

The interesting question is whether the accumulation of all of those minutes from previous seasons affects the likelihood of injuries in the current season. Is Pep suffering from the after-effects of the burn-out of his star players, which was not his fault at all?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
But Bayern don't. They would never lie about something that serious. Also don't forget that he was in a public hospital. Do you think Bayern bribed the responsible doc to lie to the media? :lol:
No, remember Ockham's razor. The most simple and obvious explanation is usually the correct one. No conspiracy to be found.

No, certainly not with Lewandowski's injury, which of course is real (however nobody really knows how bad it is and whether he can play or not), I was referring to what you read about Benatia limping off.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I don't think the training was as intense in small game drills and pressing drills under Jupp. Also with him it was the same formation every week and he was able to rotate now and again when someone was tired but still play the main guys most of the time and have everyone know what they are doing at all times, without having such intense training.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I recently re-watched our game vs as well as Bayern's.

Our performance vs City >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bayern's performance vs City.

As for Roma, just :lol:

Don't you ever get tired of internet pissing contests about your favorite team?

StarLord

Bayern vs Bundesliga Top 5:

Bayern - Wolfsburg 2-1

Schalke - Bayern 1-1

M'Gladbach - Bayern 0-0

Bayern - Leverkusen 1-0

Wolfsburg - Bayern 4-1

Bayern - Schalke 1-1 (Bayern with 10 men from very early on)

Bayern - M'Gladbach 0-2

2 wins, 3 draws, 2 losses

Goals for: 6 Goals against: 9

Bayern vs Big teams in Europe:

Bayern - Man City 1-0

Man City - Bayern 3-2 (Bayern with 10 men from very early on)

Barcelona vs La Liga Top 5:

Real Madrid - Barcelona 3-1

Barcelona - Sevilla 5-1

Valencia - Barcelona 0-1

Barcelona - Atletico Madrid 3-1

Barcelona - Real Madrid 2-1

Sevilla - Barcelona 2-2

Barcelona - Valencia 2-0

5 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat

Goals for: 16, Goals against: 8

Moreover two wins over Atletico in the Copa.

Barcelona vs Big teams in Europe:

PSG - Barcelona 3-2

Barcelona - PSG 3-1

Man City - Barcelona 1-2

Barcelona - Man City 1-0

PSG - Barcelona 1-3

Barcelona - PSG 2-0

5 wins, 0 draws, 1 defeat against proper European opponents.

Goals for: 13, Goals against: 6

Let alone the fact that Bayern did not face as near as much quality as we have in the CL and they have no domestic rival nearly as mighty as Real Madrid. Possibly even Atletico Madrid.

Therefore: Barca season >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bayern season so far.

Of course all this might change, and every game is different and all that, but based on current evidence, we must definitely be considered favorites. Not sure to win, but merely "favorites".

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Bayern don't have a particularly great record against "big(ger)" teams this season. Tis is known and not even a matter up for debate.
Still, that pissing contest is fairly pathetic.

Icarium

Lifestealer
x9ywdY4.jpg

Patricho

You can call whatever you want. Why would I care?

It's good that you don't care. I actually agree with your point that Bayern haven't been that convincing in "big games" this season. Just find it funny how people on the Internet always make things up to support their argument, that's all :)

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Not important but since today Bayern is 3rd favourite to win the Champions League after Barça and Real Madrid for the bookies.

Great opportunity for the optimistic BM fans to make some "easy" money :)

Home of Barca Fans