CL semis: Bayern - Barca 3-2 (3-5 agg.)

No, we aren't a possession based team anymore.
We just happen to have more possession than the opponent most of the times because of the quality of our players, it's difficult to get the ball from them.
I expect bayern to have possession and us doing lethal counters.

I hate that if you ask me but hey, Pep left and now Lucho's here.

Actually I expect Barcelona to have the ball and Bayern to do the lethal counters... :lol:

Bran the Greenseer

I would honestly love to see Martinez making a comeback into the squad for Alonso as CM.
Martinez-Schweinsteiger combination. Retro-Bayern. They were incredible in 2013 against Barca. Not sure how it is with Martinez' fitness though

Wow I forgot how much we sucked back then. Honestly feel sorry for iniesta in that video cause everyone around him isnt doing jackshit. Pep really did improve Bayern's passing game though, not that Barca's was any better in that game.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Game to be won in the midfield.Hope we play this. . .. but :lucho: knows best

abIZv0JanO.png

:lol:

Rakitic as winger? Double pivot of Iniesta-Busi, what dude?

This line-up is counter intuitive to what you hope to establish. Pep will have three CMs in whatever shape he deploys, and with this line-up, it's 2 on 3 in the center with one of our best center players out wide?

Our 4-3-3 is fine, it's just important we get our MF selections right, depending on what we need to do in each game. With my line ups, our first leg is more aggressive with higher pressing and the second being more defensive with looking to break on the counter.

For me, Iniesta should be sub in both these games. He played great against PSG but for me, I think he will struggle with Bayern's physicality and he'll be more effective when they are more tired and can't close him down as quickly. I think him on the LW for Neymar if we have a lead would be a good move to help us control.

StarLord

This.

If Matthieu plays, I can already see a couple blunders or misplaced clearances when pressed, it will be hell, he's nowhere near confortable on the ball enough to go against Bayern.

Thankfully, Lucho is aware of this so it'll be Mascherano.

Whoever we choose between Mascherano and Mathieu is going to be a compromise. On the one hand, Javier is the better player overall, and the better defender. But on the other hand, Jeremy has shown to be anything but a slouch this season. He is not WC by any means, but his height is something extremely precious for our team. He has also scored two mega goals for us this season, let's not forget that either.

I would probably bite the bullet and go with Mathieu. With Robben out, Bayern's number one weapon against us will be set-pieces. Mathieu can go some way in restoring the balance in the height department. Still, Mascherano can be mega as well. I would start Mathieu, then bring on Mascherano if we are by two goals up by the 60th minute, so that more control can be exercised.

Whoever we choose between Mascherano and Mathieu is going to be a compromise. On the one hand, Javier is the better player overall, and the better defender. But on the other hand, Jeremy has shown to be anything but a slouch this season. He is not WC by any means, but his height is something extremely precious for our team. He has also scored two mega goals for us this season, let's not forget that either.

I would probably bite the bullet and go with Mathieu. With Robben out, Bayern's number one weapon against us will be set-pieces. Mathieu can go some way in restoring the balance in the height department. Still, Mascherano can be mega as well. I would start Mathieu, then bring on Mascherano if we are by two goals up by the 60th minute, so that more control can be exercised.

Why do you think that with Robben out Bayern's weapon is only set-pieces? Robben is good - but not that good...

Bayern's distribution of goals and assists this season in all competitions - the last two matches not included...

scorergesamt1415.png

M=Minutes, T=Goals, A=Assists, SP=Scorerpoints (Goals + Assists)

Yannik

Why do you think that with Robben out Bayern's weapon is only set-pieces? Robben is good - but not that good...

Bayern's distribution of goals and assists this season in all competitions - the last two matches not included...

scorergesamt1415.png

M=Minutes, T=Goals, A=Assists, SP=Scorerpoints (Goals + Assists)

werent there people saying Ribery would be shit now?

werent there people saying Ribery would be shit now?

Not me. Ribery has not been really in form when he started this season - but he is always good for goals and assists. But he gives his assists to persons he knows best. He gave five assists to Müller, four to Robben.

Yannik

Not me. Ribery has not been really in form when he started this season - but he is always good for goals and assists. But he gives his assists to persons he knows best. He gave five assists to Müller, four to Robben.

i dont really think he stands there on the pitch, handpicking the players he wants to pass at by who appeared on his birthday party. 4 to Robben, 5 to Müller, i think that sort of weird statistics just happen sometimes in football. But 71 minutes per goal/assist kinda give you an idea of what a guy that is supposedly "too old" and "too shit" is still capable of doing, even when not being in prime anymore.
His "not-being-in-prime" is still qualifying him to be one of the top 5 left wingers worldwide.

i dont really think he stands there on the pitch, handpicking the players he wants to pass at by who appeared on his birthday party. 4 to Robben, 5 to Müller, i think that sort of weird statistics just happen sometimes in football. But 71 minutes per goal/assist kinda give you a glimpse of what a guy that is supposedly "too old" and "too shit" is capable of doing, even when not being in prime anymore.
His "not-being-in-prime" is still qualifying him to be one of the top 5 left wingers worldwide.

I think that due to having less training with the team he knows this two best. They play together for soon six years now. It is normal that it is like this. Ribery knows where Müller runs to - Müller knows where he passes to.

But he was seldom really in form the recent two years. In 2012/13 he was apart from any goals or assists the playmaker of the team. He was a lot more successful with his dribblings. In the last months he often has difficulties with this, makes wrong decisions etc. - but that is due to never getting really in shape. That he still has the moments in which he can assist or score makes him still valuable. At the end goals are that what counts.

Last edited:

Yannik

I think that due to having less training with the team he knows this two best. They play together for soon six years now. It is normal that it is like this. Ribery knows where Müller runs to - Müller knows where he passes to.

that is surely playing a role, but i personally think that the fact that he assisted to only 2 player so far is mroe of a coincedence in the end.

StarLord

Now, let's see what I actually said:

With Robben out, Bayern's number one weapon against us will be set-pieces.

Why do I rate Robben way above the rest of the BM players? He is almost always the one that stands out, and attacking initiative relies mostly on him. You number 2 man is Mueller, who is a brilliantly versatile player, albeit quite graceless.

Now, let's see what I actually said:

Why do I rate Robben way above the rest of the BM players? He is almost always the one that stands out, and attacking initiative relies mostly on him. You number 2 man is Mueller, who is a brilliantly versatile player, albeit quite graceless.

I asked why the set-pieces? Pep has recently gone again to play more vertical, more on the break. That brings Lewy much better into the match. Remember that 2 years ago it was his four goals against Real that brought Dortmund into the final.

Some pages ago I posted links to gifs of the goals against Bremen. Barca is not Bremen - I know. But I wanted to show how Bayern works on the break and the goals in that match were the best for that. The 0:2 was a freekick of Alaba.

http://gfycat.com/DismalFirsthandCopperbutterfly

http://gfycat.com/AcceptableLiquidGuppy

http://gfycat.com/AccomplishedImpassionedArkshell

And yes - I can imagine that set-pieces could get important. But you do not get them when you do not get dangerous in the opponents area.

Antimadridista1

Of course Lewandowski plays. Stop asking this question guys, he will play with a mask like a lot of players did before him (Puyi, Rafinha, Cesc...).

Home of Barca Fans