Claudio Bravo

Mandrake

Your obvious solution is madness. Stegen has proven he's good enough to be our keeper. There is no reason for him to leave. Give him the consistent minutes Bravo gets and I can promise you with far more accuracy than "Bravo will be good for X amount of seasons because reasons!" that he would be great for us as well. He's doing well in the cups and there's no reason to drop him, no matter how well Bravo is playing.

Well, that's the whole point: give MATS consistent playing time in another team and bringing him back when he's great and Bravo declines. He's too good to have him on the bench.

God Serena

Where is the madness in allowing Ter Stegen to get full minutes at another team while Bravo plays out his best years ? That's logical , not madness.

Bravo is currently a level above his younger counterpart and this we should get the most out of him.

You see it as allowing him to get full minutes at another team for god knows how many years, I see it as getting rid of a CL and Copa winning keeper. I suppose it's perspective, but in mine, he's proven he doesn't need a loan. You don't win the treble using a keeper who is so inferior he needs to leave to get minutes elsewhere.

MAtS is getting minutes. If he really wants more, best solution would indeed be to loan him. Bravo is in his prime, can't just ignore that.

If he wants more minutes? I don't think the issue is that severe. The only conflict I can see of him wanting more minutes is him being unfairly snubbed for getting any minutes in the CWC. If you think we needed the god Bravo to win the CWC then I have misjudged you. That's where the problem arises. Mats should have played in the CWC. Sending him out on loan so we don't have to deal with him isn't going to somehow make that right.

Well, that's the whole point: give MATS consistent playing time in another team and bringing him back when he's great and Bravo declines. He's too good to have him on the bench.

It's harder to take you seriously than the Observer considering you would have Mats dropped from the team completely because "Bravo!!!". Mats is already a great keeper. Bravo could decline anywhere from the next five seasons to the moment Mats leaves Barcelona. He's an older keeper with a history of mediocrity prior to joining our club. Keeping Mats in the role he has is great for him. The only reason people can even consider Bravo to be so much better is because he is given the chance to pick up game rhythm every single week. Mats getting the minutes he gets is fine. Nobody is calling for Bravo to be dropped because Stegen needs minutes.

F

Flavia

If he wants more minutes? I don't think the issue is that severe. The only conflict I can see of him wanting more minutes is him being unfairly snubbed for getting any minutes in the CWC. If you think we needed the god Bravo to win the CWC then I have misjudged you. That's where the problem arises. Mats should have played in the CWC. Sending him out on loan so we don't have to deal with him isn't going to somehow make that right.

You are overreacting. I think Bravo played the cwc because he didn't play any international tournament for Barça before. The best scenario is each gk continues playing what they have so far. Mats was upset, but it will pass. Unless Enrique changes things, there's no problem.

Observer

Banned
What does this have to do with your comment that has now been blown out of the water?

The "Alex Song" reference by your Mats brigade colleague in the other thread is used as a justification for original GK pick. Performance & stats tell a different story.

If you want to mention the Supercup, then it applies to both keepers, and your argument is invalid. If you want to ignore it, then both keepers have won all competitions they've played in, and your argument is invalid.

No, as one played below expectations (Mats-1st leg) and one played good (Bravo-2nd leg). First game was a facepalm worthy loss (0-4) and the other a defining draw. Mats was the starter of that Cup, shit happened, management pressure (?), GK changed. Hence my original comment "blown out of the water"

The supercup can hardly be counted against either keeper as it was a systematic failure on the part of the entire team.

Agreed in part. In part because the first Athleti goal came from a GK's bad decision.

I know you're one of the resident Bravo fanboys on the forum but surely even you can recognize that much.

Rich coming from the Mats brigade, but let me finish with a fact game that even you can recognize:

- Bravo has better stats than Mats if we take a random sample of LL games v/s Group Stage CL in both years (so you dont come up with the better teams in CL misused argument)
- Bravo has better stats overall with a bigger number of matches played as well. (consider the sample)
- Bravo has 2 blunders in Barca career: one pre-season friendly game vs Napoli (Loss in debut August 6, 2014) and one arguable vs Sevilla in last season LL (Draw in April 11, 2015). You can do the homework on Mats.
- When TS was injured, Bravo responded with 8 consecutive clean sheets in LL during his Barca debut. When Bravo was injured, TS responded with 7 goals in 4 LL matches.

Merry XMAS

Last edited:

Mandrake

It's harder to take you seriously than the Observer considering you would have Mats dropped from the team completely because "Bravo!!!". Mats is already a great keeper. Bravo could decline anywhere from the next five seasons to the moment Mats leaves Barcelona. He's an older keeper with a history of mediocrity prior to joining our club. Keeping Mats in the role he has is great for him. The only reason people can even consider Bravo to be so much better is because he is given the chance to pick up game rhythm every single week. Mats getting the minutes he gets is fine. Nobody is calling for Bravo to be dropped because Stegen needs minutes.

The Observer backs his comments with facts. Both keepers arrived at the same time and one has performed, not only in mi opinion but stat wise, much better than the other. You can dislike Bravo, but so far, at Barca, he's been the better keeper. He's at the prime of his career. I take people who support their opinions with data much more seriously than those who dont.

I actually think it's better for the club and for Mats career to loan him than to keep him in his current role. Mats has huge potential, but he has a better keeper competing with him currently, which means he wont get the playing time he needs to develop. If you think Bravo will decline in one year, well, loan him out for a year and see what happens. The german is very young and his brain farts may be less common if he gets to play 50+ matches a season. Keeping him at Barca playing him only in CL and CDR is not what a player of his potential needs. Goalies can play until 35+, so Barca can enjoy a well established Mats in the future.

El Flaco

Bravo's save from Alario vs. River Plate

[gfy]BronzeImpishFish[/gfy]

Alternative Angles

[gfy]MilkyWarmIlladopsis[/gfy]

Bravo's save from Gonzalo Martínez vs. River Plate

[gfy]CreamyUnkemptChevrotain[/gfy]

Alternative Angles

[gfy]EnlightenedBlindKid[/gfy]

[gfy]HeftyFalseGermanshepherd[/gfy]

Kerrybai

You see it as allowing him to get full minutes at another team for god knows how many years, I see it as getting rid of a CL and Copa winning keeper. I suppose it's perspective, but in mine, he's proven he doesn't need a loan. You don't win the treble using a keeper who is so inferior he needs to leave to get minutes elsewhere.

No I totally agree with you now, keeping Ter Stegen is the best solution, I can't think of another team who has 2 goalkeepers as good as Barca, Maybe Chelsea with Cech/ Courtois? Ideally we would continue with both of them...he certainly doesn't need a loan based on his current performances. However I'm suggesting a loan based on his own happiness, if he is indeed unhappy with playing 30% of the games then the loan option should be used, or alternatively if he comes to a point where he can't perform as well as Bravo due to a lack of minutes then the loan option should also be used, for example would he have made so many blunders if he was being given the majority of the minutes?

Couple of problems right there.

1. We don't have a back-up for MaTS if he leaves. And surely even if we do get one if he does, the player surely won't have the same quality. Masip is not a back-up goalie that any team trying for a place in the CL never mind trying to win it.
2. Bravo isn't clearly a level superior over MaTS, he's better no doubt but the difference isn't as great as you're implying. MaTS has done pretty darn well with how his minutes are distributed. It's really hard for a goalie to be on top of his game if his minutes are not consistently in a row.​

If you get Bambi on ice sensations every time he plays, I wonder how bad the Leverkusen game was for you.

No doubt the backup would not be as good so ideally we keep both, refer to my above post.

You are right its hard to be consistent, i do wonder if Ter Stegen wull ever reach his full potential playing a side part. Are we potentially stunting his growth as a world class keeper? Could he develop to become one of the best of all time with more minutes?

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I doubt the likes of DDG and Courtois would have been where they are today had they been someone's sidekicks until today, so we're most likely stunting his growth yes. Should have been loaned already in Summer. The management have handled the situation badly IMO.

Surely it serves Barca's short-term aspirations to have two GKs of this level at the club, but it really doesn't serve the club's long-term plans because this plan will lead to tS leaving and maybe permanently. When a cantera like Pedro left for more playing time then why do people expect a GK at tS' age to accept irregular playing time? And it's not that easy to find a replacement with the same projection, potential and current ability as him.

And god knows how the transfer market will be in 2-3 years. Suddenly we're finding ourselves paying a WR fee for a GK while we had one we paid 12m for let go just because we had no long-term vision.

There are surely a decent GK which can be bought to happily sit on the bench and play CDR games while Bravo plays LL and CL. Won't be a repeat of the Valdes-Pinto situation unless the management goes for the wrong player or the club buys the GK equivalent of Douglas.

Last edited:

xXKonan

CXfQe_PWQAA2ggs.jpg

Bravo's Jersey with the CWC Badge for today's game.

God Serena

He had a pretty easy day at the office against Betis didn't he? It's amazing how a keeper can stay focused when he's so often not called into action.

Butaan4barca

Bravo's save from Alario vs. River Plate

[gfy]BronzeImpishFish[/gfy]

Alternative Angles

[gfy]MilkyWarmIlladopsis[/gfy]

Bravo's save from Gonzalo Martínez vs. River Plate

[gfy]CreamyUnkemptChevrotain[/gfy]

Alternative Angles

[gfy]EnlightenedBlindKid[/gfy]

[gfy]HeftyFalseGermanshepherd[/gfy]

the second one is world class, but the first one is casual one, nothing spectacular for any professional keeper playing in first division

God Serena

Average game from him overall. A lot of that calm assuredness wasn't there for him. Nothing shocking but I hope he can step it back up in the face of actually threatening attackers.

Home of Barca Fans