Claudio Bravo

CatalinR10

How is he doing in the race for pichichi?

Not so well.

0 goals.

giphy.gif

mark1nhu

Regarding comments about planning our long term future, people usually post only 2 options, like:

1st option: keeping Bravo for 3-4 seasons
-- having a guaranteed world class keeper
-- but if we sell Mats, then we will possibly have problems after 4 Seasons
2nd option: selling Bravo now, and keeping only Mats
-- we won't have experienced Gk right away, but in long terms, it may work well
(But also, it may work bad both in short terms and long terms if Mats proves as not good enough, for example)

Anyway, people usually offer only these 2 options and as if we have to choose right away and how we are:
1. either screwed in 4 years
2. or screwed right away with Mats (possibly, if he fails) and we sell Bravo

But also, there is an option 3:
1. keep Bravo for 3-4-xx years and have the best possible Gk right now
-- if Mats wants to leave, ok
In 4 years, when Bravo declines, we can buy another older Gk, of Bravo's age when he came here. And keep the new older Gk for the next 3-4 years, the same as keeping Bravo now.

That way, possibly, we would have the best possible short-term and long-term future.
To some extent, with a more certainty than either options 1 or 2 which people are always offering (as almost only solutions) in Bravo-Mats discussions.

Your option 3 is exactly the same of option 1, because you cannot guarantee we will certainly find an old and Barça level/style keeper when Bravo steps down (I also cannot guarantee Mats will fulfill his expectations, but it's reasonable to say - IMHO - that the odds are against your theory, not mine, considering Mats already proved himself on a high note).

So the "trouble possibility" is still there and you are betting on luck not considering our lack of ability/opportunities to replace "especial Barça positions" like CB.

And "strategically thinking" is the exact opposite from "betting on luck": is to take in account the worst case scenario and act to avoid it.

Anyway, I don't think we need to sell Bravo.

I think we need to start the transition, keeping both players happy as long as it's possible (the Real option 3).

But when/if not possible, we need to take the most strategical decision: not lose Mats and sell Bravo instead (as much as it gives me a sad feeling), the option 4.

Butaan4barca

Making the right choice now is much more important. If we can continue with both its fine, other wise bravo is a clear choice for me. 1. in 3-4 season there will be a lot of other options 2. we can buy back mats 3. there is a chance bravo will give us more than 3-4 seasons, it could be 7-8 seasons.

mark1nhu

Making the right choice now is much more important. If we can continue with both its fine, other wise bravo is a clear choice for me. 1. in 3-4 season there will be a lot of other options 2. we can buy back mats 3. there is a chance bravo will give us more than 3-4 seasons, it could be 7-8 seasons.

1) you don't know that, you are counting on the best case scenario;

2) you don't know that, you are counting on the best case scenario;

3) you don't know that, you are counting on the best case scenario.

Butaan4barca

1) you don't know that, you are counting on the best case scenario;

2) you don't know that, you are counting on the best case scenario;

3) you don't know that, you are counting on the best case scenario.

yes, true for all three, but we can't make the wrong decision today based on having a better keeper after 3-4 seasons. Thats also a an assumption, there is also a chance mats not living upto expectation after we decide to keep him & vice versa. So its a tough choice, but i will go with bravo.

BBZ8800

Your option 3 is exactly the same of option 1, because you cannot guarantee we will certainly find an old and Barça level/style keeper when Bravo steps down (I also cannot guarantee Mats will fulfill his expectations, but it's reasonable to say - IMHO - that the odds are against your theory, not mine, considering Mats already proved himself on a high note).

So the "trouble possibility" is still there and you are betting on luck not considering our lack of ability/opportunities to replace "especial Barça positions" like CB.

And "strategically thinking" is the exact opposite from "betting on luck": is to take in account the worst case scenario and act to avoid it.

Anyway, I don't think we need to sell Bravo.

I think we need to start the transition, keeping both players happy as long as it's possible (the Real option 3).

But when/if not possible, we need to take the most strategical decision: not lose Mats and sell Bravo instead (as much as it gives me a sad feeling), the option 4.

There is way higher possibility that we will be able to buy a good Gk (or 2-3-4 of them) once when Bravo retires than relying only on one player as if he is the only option in the world (Mats).

There are lots of older, experienced world class keepers in the world and there are always a few of awesome La Liga Gks in midtable teams, like Bravo before he came to Barca.

I don't want that either Bravo or Mats leave the club, but none of them is exactly Messi, a player whom you can't possibly buy or replicate ever again.
They are good, but any of them can be "replicated". Especially Mats...
World won't stop tomorrow if we lose our 2nd choice Gk.
yes, true for all three, but we can't make the wrong decision today based on having a better keeper after 3-4 seasons. Thats also a an assumption, there is also a chance mats not living upto expectation after we decide to keep him & vice versa. So its a tough choice, but i will go with bravo.

True.
It is not good too have too many oldies in the same time.
But also, relying too much on future which may or may not come, will ruin Messi's final years and will eventually turn us into Arsene Wenger's Arsenal.
A team which is always waiting for "the next Season". The next season will be better. They have new, younger, better players coming...
And then in the next season, they will have even "better" potentials for the next season.
And then again and again and again.
They are always waiting for the future which will never come because of their flawed philosophy.

We are not that kind of a club.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans