Claudio Bravo

JamDav1982

Yeah let's keep our eyes closed ...
Of course there's a mess, ter Stegen wanting the number 1 role was predictable, he is no Pinto or Jorquera. He won't be playing a game from mid april to then end of May.
And if the situation doesn't change he'll ask to leave, and the club can't let that happen.

There is no mess at all.

It being dificult to keep two great keepers is a great position to be in.

Jefecito

There is no mess at all.

It being dificult to keep two great keepers is a great position to be in.

And what are we going to do when ter Stegen asks to leave ? Let him go to keep a 33yo GK with a maximum of 2 years at high level ahead ?
Ask yourself what would have been last season if Lucho didn't bring Bravo ... exactly the same. A keeper who is a starter against City, PSG, Bayern and Juve could have definitely been good enough against the likes of Levante and Granada. And I'd say MATS would have been even better playing a lot more games.

Last edited:

Cirre

Banned
And what are we going to do when ter Stegen asks to leave ? Let him go to keep a 33yo GK with a maximum of 2 years at high level ahead ?
Ask yourself what would have been last season if Lucho didn't bring Bravo ... exactly the same. A keeper who is a starter against City, PSG, Bayern and Juve could have definitely been good enough against the likes of Levante and Granada. And I'd say MATS would have been even better playing a lot more games.

From where did you get that bravo has only 2y maximum?

Buffon (and dozens others) says hi ;).

Messi983

And what would happen last season if MAtS would get injured longterm and we didn't have Bravo and would need to count on Masip or any other inferior GK (compared to Bravo) we'd bring as our 2nd GK? I'm 99% that we wouldn't have treble. I don't blame Lucho (or Unzue, to say better) to bring in Bravo. We didn't know if MAtS is really psychologicaly strong enough to be a starter in his first season and he also didn't know spanish when he came (I probably don't have to tell how important is good communication between GK and defenders).

If anything, we should be grateful to be in position we are currently in to have two great GKs. Both Bravo and MAtS have totally justified their transfers during their first two years here and when the time will come to make a difficult decision, whether this year or next, the club (Lucho or whoever is coach) should be able to make it. For me it really shouldn't be that hard decision anyway with all respect to Claudio (which he deserved). I believe he could still be on a high level for more than 2 seasons but for how many years he still has we could add at least 6-8 years to that in Ter Stegen's case.

Last edited:

Cirre

Banned
Van Der Sar, Oliver Kahn, Peter Schmeichel, Dino Zoff are couple of examples for my statement that age factory for gk is totally different than what it is for field players.
even Zubizarreta played till 37.

You have Petr Čech for example who is in same age as Bravo and he is still in top flight and can't see him ending his top flight career in 2 years because of age.

You silly dum dum, read my post well, there is no comparison made between Bravo and Buffon that concerns their talents. Buffon was brought as an example for that age is not an issue!

Jefecito

Van Der Sar, Oliver Kahn, Peter Schmeichel, Dino Zoff are couple of examples for my statement that age factory for gk is totally different than what it is for field players.
even Zubizarreta played till 37.

You have Petr Čech for example who is in same age as Bravo and he is still in top flight and can't see him ending his top flight career in 2 years because of age.

You silly dum dum, read my post well, there is no comparison made between Bravo and Buffon that concerns their talents. Buffon was brought as an example for that age is not an issue!

Keep insulting people who point out your weak arguments. Pirlo and Xavi played a CL final last year being 35 and 34, doesn't mean every single random midfielder can maintain his level to do that.

Jefecito

And what would happen last season if MAtS would get injured longterm and we didn't have Bravo and would need to count on Masip or any other inferior GK (compared to Bravo) we'd bring as our 2nd GK? I'm 99% that we wouldn't have treble. I don't blame Lucho (or Unzue, to say better) to bring in Bravo. We didn't know if MAtS is really psychologicaly strong enough to be a starter in his first season and he also didn't know spanish when he came (I probably don't have to tell how important is good communication between GK and defenders).

If anything, we should be grateful to be in position we are currently in to have two great GKs. Both Bravo and MAtS have totally justified their transfers during their first two years here and when the time will come to make a difficult decision, whether this year or next, the club (Lucho or whoever is coach) should be able to make it. For me it really shouldn't be that hard decision anyway with all respect to Claudio (which he deserved). I believe he could still be on a high level for more than 2 seasons but for how many years he still has we could add at least 6-8 years to that in Ter Stegen's case.

I'm happy we have both Bravo and ter Stegen but I strongly disagree with the competition split made by Luis Enrique. I would have agreed with a Valdes/Pinto split, ter Stegen playing Liga & UCL, Bravo getting CdR. (not meaning Bravo is at Pinto's level at all).
You can't do that with a keeper you bought for 12m€, that's why I said Lucho and Unzue started this mess. They put themselves in that position.

Fully agree with the part of the post regarding the decision, but this staff and the board have shown their ability to take the wrong decisions a decent amount of times recently.

Cirre

Banned
Keep insulting people who point out your weak arguments. Pirlo and Xavi played a CL final last year being 35 and 34, doesn't mean every single random midfielder can maintain his level to do that.

Insulting? If you feel that silly dum dum is meant to be insult, then no I didn't mean it to be like that. Chill out pal :). I'll apologize in either way.

By the way my argument wasn't weak at all, I just pointed out for you just a couple of examples of many. Field players to play above 35 in top flight is very rare compared to goalkeepers. You have 10 field players and only one goalkeeper, and still it's easy to pick up many goalies who've played above 35 while being in top. If I recall it right, Xavi wasn't really anymore clear starter in his last year in the top, but I might recall this wrong.

Mandrake

Who says Bravo is a random GK? He's been in 2 WC with Chile, won their first ever Copa América, he's the captain of the NT and the most capped player in Chile's history. He won the chilean league in 2006 and has been playing in Europe ever since. The prime of his career has been in the last 2 years, when Barça paid Real Sociedad 12m € for a 31 year old GK. He's definitely not a random player.

Jefecito

Who says Bravo is a random GK? He's been in 2 WC with Chile, won their first ever Copa América, he's the captain of the NT and the most capped player in Chile's history. He won the chilean league in 2006 and has been playing in Europe ever since. The prime of his career has been in the last 2 years, when Barça paid Real Sociedad 12m € for a 31 year old GK. He's definitely not a random player.

Not exactly random be he surely won't be remember as a top GK.
He wasn't exactly shining at La Real, he wasn't consistent. I still remember some ridiculous freekicks Ronaldo scored against him .. Ask yourself why no top club signed him during his time there before Barça in 2014. WC14 gave him the opportunity of his life and he has been good for 2 years now.

Mandrake

Not exactly random be he surely won't be remember as a top GK.
He wasn't exactly shining at La Real, he wasn't consistent. I still remember some ridiculous freekicks Ronaldo scored against him .. Ask yourself why no top club signed him during his time there before Barça in 2014. WC14 gave him the opportunity of his life and he has been good for 2 years now.

That argument is absolutely brilliant. You remember a GK making a ridiculous mistake? I can remember some from Neuer, Kahn, Lev Yashin and even Ter Stegen. Does that make them bad keepers?

OK, so he sucked at Real Sociedad and nobody wanted him. Thats why Barça paid 12M€ for a 31 year old.

Each team only plays 1 keeper. Im pretty sure many top clubs wanted him, but he didnt want to be bench. That or Barça scouts decided to pay alot of money for a crap, old GK no top club wanted and suddenly he became a record breaking title winning penalty stopping machine.

Jefecito

That argument is absolutely brilliant. You remember a GK making a ridiculous mistake? I can remember some from Neuer, Kahn, Lev Yashin and even Ter Stegen. Does that make them bad keepers?

OK, so he sucked at Real Sociedad and nobody wanted him. Thats why Barça paid 12M€ for a 31 year old.

Each team only plays 1 keeper. Im pretty sure many top clubs wanted him, but he didnt want to be bench. That or Barça scouts decided to pay alot of money for a crap, old GK no top club wanted and suddenly he became a record breaking title winning penalty stopping machine.

That wasn't a argument, If you read the last pages I've said myself that Neuer makes a lot of mistakes but he's still the best in the world.
What I'm saying is that he never impressed me and I've been watching a lot of La Real games when he was there.
Again, I'm not saying he's shit, far from it. He's a way better GK that he was before WC14. Just saying that the career he had before joining us isn't exactly what you are describing.

Mandrake

Good thing you're not in charge of hiring GKs at Barça then, because he's done pretty well since he arrived. And I guess he didnt become a good GK overnight. His career peaked in the last couple of years and Barça had been following him since 2010.

Home of Barca Fans