Claudio Bravo

Mitchell1978

Why? Bravo is first choice for la liga, no need to change that. Imo he's better than Ter. Our issue is not with gk it's with field players!

Bravo doesn't have to be first choice, there are no rules that say he must be, he isn't untouchable.
Bravo has been pretty mediocre lately, not just last game, its time for a change.

Jefecito

Luis Enrique and Unzue created this mess by signing Bravo when the club already chose ter Stegen (before Luis Enrique arrived).
I doubt he has enough balls to bench Bravo now, even if it's obvious that he's nowhere near MATS in the distribution and not better than the german on the line (saves, reflexes, positioning)

BigBarcaBoy

Mats has much better instant reactions, could have saved it.
Remember the save against lewa last season?

remember bravo's save against atletico Madrid, bravo has done nothing wrong and doesn't deserve to be dropped, you can't play mats just because you are worried he might leave. Mats maybe the future but despite the hype for mats, bravo is the better keeper at this stage.

BigBarcaBoy

In what aspects of the game exactly ? :lol:

reactions, saves, experience, a more reassuring presence, mats is to over confident at times, still prone to make mistakes, for me bravo is more commanding, doesn't flap under crosses at mats does. Basically all except distribution but mats takes it too far, ultimately his job is to keep the ball out and i feel he makes the defence more nervous plus i don't particularly like hi wandering off the line. All will come in time, tbh mats is overrated, he is good but certainly not world class.

Jefecito

reactions, saves, experience, a more reassuring presence, mats is to over confident at times, still prone to make mistakes, for me bravo is more commanding, doesn't flap under crosses at mats does. Basically all except distribution but mats takes it too far, ultimately his job is to keep the ball out and i feel he makes the defence more nervous plus i don't particularly like hi wandering off the line. All will come in time, tbh mats is overrated, he is good but certainly not world class.

Reactions : lol.
Saves : what saves, all keepers make saves that's their job
Reassuring for you maybe, not sure if the others players were reassured when we conceded 2 goals in the only two "chances" Valencia had
Prone to make mistakes: all keepers do, even Neuer and he does a lot of mistakes (still allows him to be the best in the world)
Taking distribution too far ? That's his job, Zubi brought him for that, and that's the club philosophy, like it or not that's what we ask from a GK at Barça.

Overrated lol. :facepalm:

BigBarcaBoy

Reactions : lol.
Saves : what saves, all keepers make saves that's their job
Reassuring for you maybe, not sure if the others players were reassured when we conceded 2 goals in the only two "chances" Valencia had
Prone to make mistakes: all keepers do, even Neuer and he does a lot of mistakes (still allows him to be the best in the world)
Taking distribution too far ? That's his job, Zubi brought him for that, and that's the club philosophy, like it or not that's what we ask from a GK at Barça.

Overrated lol. :facepalm:

he isn't ar the same level as neuer yet and neuer doesn't make that many mistakes and overall has got his game to a fine art. Mats may get there but at the moment he is still a bit green for me, in terms of actual goalkeeping don't thinks he's in the same class at neuer, courtois and de gea. If you prefer style over substance then i respect your opinion.Mats has all the potential to be a top class keeper but for me he needs to improve the other aspects of his game.

Jefecito

he isn't ar the same level as neuer yet and neuer doesn't make that many mistakes and overall has got his game to a fine art. Mats may get there but at the moment he is still a bit green for me, in terms of actual goalkeeping don't thinks he's in the same class at neuer, courtois and de gea. If you prefer style over substance then i respect your opinion.Mats has all the potential to be a top class keeper but for me he needs to improve the other aspects of his game.

Where did I say he was at Neuer's level ?
I was just saying that making mistakes once in a while doesn't make you a mediocre keeper, which was your argument.
Of course he's not at Neuer's level, he's 23 but definitely has potential to be one of the best keepers in the world in the next few years.
In order to do that he has to play, a lot. And being benched by a 33yo keeper who's not better than him is definitely blocking his development.
Hope the club doesn't have to make a decision next summer, but if it happens anyone who cares about the club's future would let Bravo go.

Last edited:

El Flaco

Luis Enrique and Unzue created this mess by signing Bravo when the club already chose ter Stegen (before Luis Enrique arrived).

To be fair, the mess was actually started when Alexander Song injured Ter Stegen and was expected to play in Liga.

Bravo did very well in the absence of Ter Stegen and the rest is history.

Jefecito

To be fair, the mess was actually started when Alexander Song injured Ter Stegen and was expected to play in Liga.

Bravo did very well in the absence of Ter Stegen and the rest is history.

Don't think so. Luis Enrique signed Bravo for a reason. You don't sign a 32yo keeper for 12m€ to give him the Pinto role.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

The reason De Gea, Courtois are what they are is because they played regularly week in and out.

Their and ter Stegen's cases are not comparable.

A goalkeeper most of all, improves with experience of playing regularly and ter Stegen has in a way excelled while having the odds stacked against him(new country, league, language, irregular minutes and Barca GK history).

Quoting @zanela 's excellent post in the other thread w

+1

It appalls me how some cules have such narrow perspective of the game. It's sad to see them discredit and undermine a player, given he's fighting against the odds with the way he's managed playtime wise, yet has stood his ground for the most part. Keylor in a similar situation looked a tier 2 keeper (see his first season at RM).

Talking about excellent performances:

Vs Roma (A), B04(A), Arsenal (A), Espanyol (A), Bilbao (A). Comfortably top 3 performer in the aforementioned games, and arguably outperformed Bravo in the sec half of the season (despite playing less). Even the Motm graph speaks so. MAtS has been top 3 CL keeper sec year running. He does fairly well statistically in comparison to the 'top' keepers. Looks like his detractors don't watch 'top' keepers on a regular basis, as being made to look the fool isn't only reserved to a young keeper being irregularly featured.

The Bravo-MatS debate has never been a reasonable one, as they have never shared a level playing field. The former despite form issues will continue to get opportunities to redeem performances (as I'm sure he will in the remainder of the games), whilst MatS doesn't enjoy the same privilege. The latter's contributions are often overlooked and even forgotten when the fan often dwells on the immediate past.

The funny thing about all the ones complaining about how MAtS is not good enough or prone to mistakes and then reiterate that he should outperform Bravo by not really having the same opportunities as him, are the ones that complain how the players of their preference need more minutes to improve and mould into a World Class player. As if it's not the same here :lol:

Last edited:

Jefecito

There is no "mess". Having two worldclass keepers worked out great for us.

Yeah let's keep our eyes closed ...
Of course there's a mess, ter Stegen wanting the number 1 role was predictable, he is no Pinto or Jorquera. He won't be playing a game from mid april to the end of May.
And if the situation doesn't change he'll ask to leave, and the club can't let that happen.

Last edited:

Alik

Yeah let's keep our eyes closed ...
Of course there's a mess, ter Stegen wanting the number 1 role was predictable, he is no Pinto or Jorquera. He won't be playing a game from mid april to then end of May.
And if the situation doesn't change he'll ask to leave, and the club can't let that happen.

So what? At the end of the day a choice will have to be made, which would have been made back then too, but at least we had 2 good seasons with both of them.

Home of Barca Fans